“Excellent, affordable food”

Price range: US$8 - US$24
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Famous for Thalis but you'll find classic Indian snacks, coffee and cakes on the menu too. Quirky decor, great atmosphere, free Wifi, kids welcome. Award-winning Tiffin Takeaway scheme. Equally suited for groups, families or for a romantic dinner. Contact us about hiring the whole back room for your party or celebration.This is the original Thali Cafe, located in the hub of Montpelier, it is one of four Thali Cafes in Bristol. We avoid mainstream locations in favour of areas with a strong sense of community where we can foster relationships with local people and businesses.
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Since recently moving to Bristol this has to be the nicest place i've discovered so far, great authentic Indian food at a good price - I like how they serve it on trays and you definitely get your moneys worth - i was stuffed :)

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Enjoy the food here and it's good value for money. We tend to just do the tiffin tin takeaway...so you buy a tin and food the first time for £25 and thereafter you take your tiffin tin and have it filled.

The choice of food is not huge, and having been there a few times feel like we've tried it all. Nothing to get further excited about. But, as the cost starts at just over £8 for food for two then it's difficult to complain.

On a couple of occasions I have been there and they've not been able to provide change. I think that's a bit slack.

Also they will not take orders over the phone, so you have to just turn up and wait. There is no specified waiting area however, so you stand between tables if it's busy. Which isn't ideal, for those getting the takeaway or those sitting at the tables.

We've also often noticed that the tables can take a while to be cleared.

All in all it's good food at a reasonable price, but that's it.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Somehow I doubt the management of this restaurant wanted it to represent the *complete* Indian Thali experience, including oppressive levels of heat and humidity that killed appetite and enjoyment, but that was what we found on a recent family visit to Bristol.

This branch of the local chain is quite small, which makes for an intimate setting and as it's also a thriving takeaway there was quite a buzz of people coming and going. The clientele seemed to be young and funky for the most part, so the cafe had all the makings of a memorable evening.

The weather was very mild and it had been raining, which cannot have helped the atmosphere inside the restaurant, but I have never been in such a hot eatery and although my companions were mostly not too bothered, I had to step outside several times to cool off, standing under my umbrella in the drizzle.

The Thali Cafes seem to have plenty of fans and so I doubt anything I can say will impact much on their reputation, but although the food had interesting flavours and was presented well on the Thali serving trays, I thought it lacked spiciness and a couple of items - the Aloo Paratha and the 'focaccia' that was served with the Thali, were either weird or tasteless. The Aloo Paratha claimed to be stuffed with spicy potato, raita and lime pickle, but was like eating warm, moist cardboard, while the 'focaccia' (why, in an Indian restaurant?) was a dull piece of a white bloomer loaf seemingly 'buttered' with margarine that had melted into it. One of our party hankered for a Peshwari naan bread and although I don't care for them either, preferring plain naans, I couldn't help agreeing with her.

A selection of starters arrived quickly and they were tasty, although two of our original selection were no longer available by the time we arrived - about 7:30pm. It seemed an age before main courses arrived, however and the efficient, friendly, waiting staff were very apologetic and did their best to keep us informed.

Would I go there again? Probably not - it was interesting but not exceptional and until the management installs air conditioning or otherwise sorts out the ventilation I shall think of Thali Cafe more as Black Hole of Calcutta than go-to subcontinental foodie destination.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

My partner and I had lunch today. We were expecting to go to Teoh's not realising Thali had taken over the premises earlier in the year. Loving Teoh's food I hoped that we wouldn't be disappointed here. Far from it! The staff were attentive and friendly, the new decor a tribute to Bollywood and cool and laid back shabby chic and the good was wonderful. We had popadoms with delicious dips; home made and better than the usual Indian offerings and the curried chucked and Goan fish dishes were authentic and divine served with rice and a really crunchy and healthy salad. Prices are really good too at £24 for 2 starters, 2 mains with a side dish. Nice to have water brought to the table too. Highly recommended

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Booked what i thought would be a nice evening out of two recently, have been to Cafe Thali in Clifton so thought i would try Montpellier for a change - never again. booked a table for two, arrived plenty of time so when we arrived and saw a lovely spare table for two thought looks good, forget it not our table, we were shown through to a back room that was so drap and nothing like the front part, very bright and no atmosphere, then to our horror we were shown our table, well going out as a couple you would like to look across the table at each other to chat and enjoy no chance one chair looked at the wall and the other 90 degrees from that facing a thick pillar. we complained that we were not happy with the table and the lovely rude man behind the counter said well i will pull the table away form the wall and sit you the other way. no way a fat chance we will be going there again. look else where, try Cafe Thali Clifton fantastic atmosphere through out.

1  Thank James B