“Lovely takeaway” 4 of 5 bubbles

Bristol
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely takeaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013

I live around the corner from here and have been told by a lot of people that it was lovely so one Friday night I thought I'd get a takeaway. I rang up and ordered over the phone pad thai for me and a chicken dish for my housemate, (can't remember the name of it) and some prawn crackers. I then wandered over ten minutes later and it was ready and waiting or me. Got home only to discover that it was the wrong food! I had been given two vegetarian dishes, which did look lovely but I wanted my pad thai!!!! I rang them up and the lady on the phone was very apologetic and asked me to return the dishes. I wasn't too happy about having to walk all the way back as it was cold outside and I was starving! Anyway I went back, swapped them and they gave me a glass of wine to numb the pain! So the food was sooooo good. My pad thai was full of flavour and I didn't want it to end! Big portion sizes, delicious prawn crackers and extremely well priced at £7.50 for a main meal. Lovely.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Authentic asian food at excellent prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2012

I've eaten here a few times and never had a bad meal. It's a lovely informal and relaxed atmosphere where you can choose from Malaysian, Thai, Chinese and Japanese food all under one roof. I haven't quite made it through the menu but everything is freshly cooked and is served quite quickly. I wouldn't recommend it for an intimate dinner for two but for family occasions or groups of friends it's ideal, they are also child friendly.

• Visited September 2012
bristol
“Yummy food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2012

We have eaten here on a few occasions and always enjoy our food. The mango pancakes are especially delicious and I have been known to order two deserts on occasion! A nice place for a sociable meal, not really for a romantic dinner for two!

Visited July 2011
bristol
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Once vibrant, good value, and tasty...Gone downhill over last year”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

I've been eating here since its opened, and have really enjoyed the place as a local resident over the years, it was a pioneer restaurant, regenerating St Pauls, serving good value and fresh asian food when it opened..
Over the last year or so the place has started going downhill in several ways :

The good value has gone, and the cost is now unrealistic, as the pricing model is £7.50 for all dishes. This single price was fine when dishes were around £5, but now a small spring roll starter is £7.50. This pushes a 2 course meal up into a league where there are far better restaurants in bristol.

The menu never changes in years and this can be boring. Furthermore it makes it very easy to see that the quality of cooking is going downhill, the food tastes less, has less expensive ingredients (2 prawns, 2 mussels in the penang fried ho fun) and the portion is much smaller..

The service is awful, even when we were almost the only people eating there, the waiter took ages to respond to requests for chopsticks and a plate for our toddler, instead he walked past the chopsticks and chatted in the kitchen whilst we waited with our food...

The place has gone from a vibrant, restaurant often full to being empty every time we visit and I can see why... Mr Teoh, sort it out please!!

• Visited December 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank joe b
Bristol
“Mediocre food, terrible service - DON'T DO THE COOKING COURSE!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2010

Have eaten in this restaurant a couple of times and had quite ordinary food with incredibly rude service. My wife and I made the mistake of paying £50 for a cookery course with Teoh so we could learn how to cook pan-asian food; it was a 3 hour course and 1.5 hrs involved introductions and pointless chat. When we eventually started with the cooking, we were just asked to chop vegetables so he could cook everything. The end result took 3.5 hrs to make and was just inedible. We complained and were told we could not get a refund because "no-one had ever complained before". Complete waste of time and money, would hate for anyone else to make the same mistake.

1 Thank alexwb77