“Unfriendly service, no bridge and no view, average food”

The Bridge Cafe @ The Avon Gorge Hotel
Ranked #657 of 1,780 Restaurants in Bristol
Price range: US$0 - US$45
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I booked a table for afternoon tea as a treat for my parents who were visiting from abroad. When I called to book our table, I was told that the terrace was being renovated so we wouldn't be able to have our tea there, however we could still 'enjoy the view' and go on the terrace to take photos etc. I was also promised that a kids menu would be available for my 2 little ones.
I don't know if the cafe has been moved to a temporary room in the hotel, but it looked nothing like on the photos. We were in a small, stuffy room, with just one window with the curtains closed, so no view whatsoever (we barely had daylight in the room). We were squashed around 2 tables right at the back of the room by the fireplace. The waiter told me that they didn't have any kids menu, then came back later to tell me that they could offer one for £9.50 (completely overpriced for what we got). The food took 30 mins to arrive. The savoury plate was nice but the scones were very dry and barely edible. We had 2 small children with us, a buggy and a high chair, and felt like we were bothering everyone around.
To this day, I am still very confused by the whole experience... I even wondered if we went to the wrong place by mistake, however they had my reservation on their book, so it's unlikely! Will not go again and definitely will not recommend for afternoon tea.

Reviewed 10 May 2018 via mobile

We were a party of 26, holding a family reunion and chose this venue, as one of our party had lunched there before.
Our party were ‘shoehorned’ onto a table that would comfortably seat 18 max. When questioned about the lack of space, we were advised to ‘shuffle down’. This would have meant the 2 people at the far end of the table would have been in the fireplace!
As we were a ‘large party’ we were asked to pre-order our main courses, which we did. We therefore, were very unhappy when at least 3 of the meals did not arrive until almost everyone else had finished eating.
Standard of food was nothing more than average.
Complaints fell on deaf ears.
I would most certainly advise against booking here if you are a large group and I will definitely not be going back!

Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

Visited Clifton for the weekend, booked dinner here on a recommendation. The view of the Gorge is undoubtedly stunning but the rest of the experience was average. The dish the French Onion soup came in was bizarrely covered in melted cheese so you literally had to dig through an inch of cheese to get to the soup, the generous portion of mussels was spoilt by the fact the mussels themselves were teeny tiny and gritty. The service was good but every single female toilet was blocked. Given we thought it was supposed to be a ‘nice place’, it was quite a let down. Wouldn’t recommend for anything more than a drink.

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

Stayed at The Avon Gorge Hotel last week, had a beautiful bedroom overlooking the Avon Gorge and the Clifton Suspension Bridge. Can't fault anything, the food, the staff all good. Special mention to Radik on duty whilst we were having breakfast, he was a mine of information and extremely nice too.

Reviewed 19 February 2018

We booked for Sunday lunch and were offered a 4 course menu for £26.99 pp. waited and waited for a drinks order to be taken. The "pop up " restaurant had far too many tables in it and we were like sardines. Eventually our drinks came and our order was taken but we had to order desserts at the same time as our main course. I ordered " roast chicken" but when it came it was a char grilled piece of chicken. Vegetables were dry and wrinkly. We asked for extra gravy but that took 20 mins to arrive and we had eaten all we could by then. Service slow and the waiter kept forgetting what we had asked him for. There is an automatic 12.5% added to the bill for sevice. I also did not like the unisex toilet facility.

2  Thank pinky325