“Not so good these days ...”
Review of Bottelino's - CLOSED

Bottelino's
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Visited last in May 2013 and was quite disappointed. Been many times before and enjoyed although would not rate it as top notch food but it does some good little meal deals and the food is fine providing you don't class it as same standard served in a more upscale restaurant. However, unhappy to find some of the older staff have gone and been replaced with young, foreign staff. The new staff are very obliging and courteous but definitely lack the charm of the older staff in their service. The food in my opinion has dropped in quality / standard too and I was not happy with the dish I was served although I didn't complain because the price is so reasonable that you cant expect so much. Would definitely think twice before going here if you are marking a special occasion as there are other restaurants which can offer better food in the same price range from my experience.

Reviewed 31 May 2013

We booked to go to the Bedminster branch for a 30th birthday meal. The staff were very good from the off. We changed the number of guests several times and they were more than willing to accomodate. I also dropped off a cake beforehand which they put in their kitchen until we had finished our meal. The staff were fantastic with my 4 year old daughter and the birthday boy got a couple of free shots and 'happy birthday' sang to him! Would definitely recommend!

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Very strange prawn starter, tasted like it had been microwaved, prawns over cooked as a result.

Main courses were disappointing too, I had a seafood pasta dish which had little taste.

Reviewed 20 April 2013

This area seems yet to take off. It's disadvantaged by the lack of a train service. We heard Portishead was fast becoming THE place to hang out on the new waterfront so we drove over here looking for a busy marina with lots of cafes, bars and people. Instead we found one lonely Italian chain cafe on a chic new marina with no boats and hardly any people. "This can't be it" we said as the cold wind blew us into Bottelinos. We were assured there was nothing else.

Botellinos is trying hard to be a Carluccios really and it doesn't quite make it. It looks good but everything else is quite bland. The food is not at all bad but lacks anything that makes you come close to a "wow". Strada is undoubtedly better, let me say. The staff were pleasant and helpful but none were what I'd call professional. The atmosphere was trying hard but was all about the chic decor and architecture (cliche really) so it wasn't really happening.

This area may well take off, but it certainly hasn't yet. I'm told Portishead was a bit of a dump in the past, which would explain people's assertion that this area is something to rave about, maybe. But it has some way to go. Maybe better in the day, but don't make a special journey.

Reviewed 10 March 2013

Excellent service with friendly, knowledgeable staff. Good ambience, meal deal is reasonably priced and food always good.