“Will avoid at all costs in future” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
BEST WESTERN Garden Court Aylesbury
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Aylesbury
London
“Will avoid at all costs in future”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

The lady on reception when we arrived assured me that since my last stay some mattresses had been replaced and to let her know if there was any problem with the one in our room. She also offered us a chocolate bar to say thank you for being a priority club member. The room seemed to be clean and my husband who works in the hotel industry seemed to be happy with the level of cleanliness, however, on entering the bathroom we found a completely different state of affairs. It was like the cleaner opened the door and promptly forgot about everything behind it. The white board behind the door was covered in dark brown splash marks the frame of the door was dusty and grubby but the bit that tickled me completely was the fact the toilet roll holder which clearly had been touched because there was the industry standard toilet paper in a point in the holder was filthy with grime and dust.

I needed to go and collect a friend from the airport and wanted to make sure that my husband and I would be able to breakfast separately. I asked the lady on reception if this would be ok and I found her attitude to be incredibly lacking in customer care instead of assuring me that this was going to be ok she seemed more interested in explaining we would be charged if it was not in a our room tariff. My husband then called me at the airport at 9am oblivious of my impression of the lady on reception to tell me that he had to negotiate a late check out of an hour but again the money obsessed lady explained that if we were later than 12.00 noon we would be charged £40. To be honest the whole thing was so stressful that I did not get a chance to catch up on the hour's sleep when I got back to the hotel. On checking out I asked the lady for her full name explaining that she was not wearing a name tag she only wrote down her first name on a piece of paper and it seemed only this that suddenly prompted some customer service from her and she asked about her stay I told her about the problems with the cleanliness of the bathroom. I was told she would speak with the head of housekeeping that day.

I agree with other reviewers the location is nice and quiet apart from rude guests who seemed to think slamming doors late at night was perfectly acceptable.

The breakfast was average at best - the cooked tomato was cold and the bacon could have done with another minute in the microwave because I'm fairly sure that is where most of the breakfast was cooked.

Having read through some previous reviews on here and seen the fatuous responses from IHGcare I ask that you respect my request and not insult me with one of those same fatuous responses as up until now you have failed to 'improve the quality of services" you offer to your guests.

Room Tip: The first floor is preferable
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Garden Court Aylesbury, responded to this review, 30 June 2013
Dear LondonIrishlass,

Thank you for your review. As an IHG Rewards Club member, we appreciate your loyalty and your candid feedback regarding your experience at our hotel. We are disappointed to hear of the inconvenience you experienced during your stay and have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information

We look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Joel B
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

Having read previous reviews we were quite worried about staying at this hotel and nearly changed to the other Holiday Inn in Aylesbury. However, as the hotel was the most convenient for the wedding we were attending we decided to risk it. And I am very glad that we did! It may not be as modern as the other Holiday Inns or have the same level of facilities but we found our stay extremely comfortable. Our room was extremely spacious, clean, quiet and with comfortable beds. Ok the furniture was a bit old fashioned, but was certainly not tatty and I thought it made the room more homely unlike some very modern hotels which can feel a bit clinical. All usual items I would expect were there ie tea/coffee making facilities, toiletries etc. All staff were very polite and helpful. We decided not the eat at the hotel as the restaurant is very small and noone was in it so was not very atmospheric - the small menu did have a reasonable selection of dishes. The staff recommended a pub 5 minutes away which was fine. The breakfast was perfectly adequate with a small buffet selection of the usual cereals, fruit and rolls etc and a full english breakfast option which arrived promptly and was good. The leisure facilities were just across the "garden" and had a good gym and empty swimming pool so again better than expected. I do think it would be worth them investing in a gardener though! The garden area has the potential to be nice with a bit of care and attention - with a few plants added and weeds removed. Then they could create somewhere nice to sit outside rather than just next to the front door near the carpark. That would make a huge difference to the overall impression of the hotel. Also the room prices maybe a bit high as the hotel facilities stand now. Overall though our experience was a pleasant one and we would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel but when i checked out a 5am the staff couldnt give me a final bill or print out due to a faulty computer . The staff did email the final later that day which was very good but the messing around at 5am did make me later for an appointment .

• Stayed November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Garden Court Aylesbury, responded to this review, 21 June 2013
Dear Aylesbur,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We strive everyday to create special experiences one guest at a time and we are happy you were able to experience it. On the other hand, please accept our apology for the shortcomings you have experienced. We appreciate you for bringing this into our attention as the feedback we receive from our guests like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to improve our guest services.

Krysllin G.
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Aylesbury hotels

Bury St Edmunds
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

I was booked here for work and I did not have the luxury of choosing my hotel. It was situated on the outskirts of town, so location is good. Plenty of parking and use of the gym next door also good. I was put in a room downstairs, but asked to be changed due to being a lone female traveller. The receptionist who was lovely moved me. The room was large but the hotel is so run down and in need of some urgent updating, decorating and general repair, although it was clean overall. For £99 this for me was very expensive. The hotel said free wifi, but when I went online I had to pay £12, I didn't raise with caption, it was getting late, so I paid it. I didn't dine in the hotel, because of previous reviews I had read, so it was drive thru Maccy D's for me on this occasion. Unless there was no other choice I would not return here any time soon.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Garden Court Aylesbury, responded to this review, 2 July 2013
Dear looloumac79,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and we regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations in some aspects. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Joel B
Yorkshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here several times over the past year without a problem and have been very happy. This time, though, was nothing like that. We had booked for 3 nights but for some reason were not entered onto the system properly on checking in. This resulted in a charge to my credit card the following morning. This was rectified at checkout but should not have happened.

On the second day we returned to our room at 18:30 to find that it was exactly as we had left it - bed unmade, dirty towels and almost no toilet paper. Reception did make it good, apart from the bed, and assured us that it would not happen again.

On the third day we were assured as we left that our room would be "sorted properly". On our return at 20:00 we found that the bed had, indeed, been made. The bathroom, however, had not been touched. There was not a single sheet of toilet paper, the only towel was not one of ours and was strewn in the sink. The sink and bath had not been cleaned, but the shower curtain had been drawn! Again reception made it good - but they should not have had to at 20:00 on a Sunday!

On checkout the manage stood before us wringing his hands. He realised we had stayed before and assured us that he was rectifying matters. He hoped that we would be returning. What could he do to make it right - not our place to make suggestions. Finally he offered a token reduction in our bill.

An e-mail of complaint to Head Office has brought a set of platitudes plus a note that our complaint had been sent back to the hotel and owners. Not much sign of corporate liability or brand integrity there.

Needless to say it will be a long time before we venture back.

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Garden Court Aylesbury, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
Dear PJ46Yorkshire,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. I apologize for the shortfalls during your recent stay with us. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Krysllin G.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

Generally ok hotel, however the staff on reception in the evenings seemed to have a strange attitude. We weren't made to feel welcome and the girl on reception seemed annoyed when we asked about anything.

The shower in the room was very difficult to get to a consistent temperature and fluctuated from freezing to scalding.

Breakfast staff were much nicer and food was good.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Garden Court Aylesbury, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
Dear redkiteastroman,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit and for taking the time to write about your recent experience at our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and I’m disappointed that we did not meet your expectations. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the service you received from our staff. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Ferdinand G
england
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

This is the second time we have stayed here,the location is nice and the area is quiet. The welcome was good,the room and bathroom was spotless and all the facilities worked as they should.Breakfast was great a choice of cereals,fruit juice,fruit and a full english breakfast with tea,coffee and toast,probably better than some of the whingers have at home.It might not be akin to the bigger holiday inns but it is a very good place to chill without fuss

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple