“The 1980's Garden Court experience.”

Best Western Garden Court Aylesbury
Ranked #11 of 12 Hotels in Aylesbury
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Having read the reviews on Tripadvisor I felt I was well prepared when I stayed at Holiday Inn Garden Court Aylesbury.

The hotel is situated on a road into Aylesbury opposite a new-build housing estate and has their sister gym business next door as well.

There is free parking and the hotel is very small so I imagine that parking is never an issue.
I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful during my stay which does help negate some of the negatives of this property.

My room was very large with a desk, chest of drawers, wardrobe, sofa, separate table and chair. However as other reviewers have noted the furnishings are very dated and in all honesty are now beyond their useable life. The same is true of the bathroom - although clean it really does need to be gutted and replaced.

The dining room is a small area behind reception (probably about the same size as the bedroom) with about fifteen covers and a limited menu. I had the lasagne which was obviously a supermarket ready meal which had been microwaved - I don't have an issue with this in principle as it is clear they have limited facilities but I do object to the pricing not being reflective of this.

It is clear that the original idea of a "Garden Court" Holiday Inn would have been quite appealing - a semi-rural retreat for a quiet break with limited no-fuss services. However in the modern market with excellent quality budget hotels and most average full service hotels with gym/spa services, the Garden Court concept feels lost and redundant.

The spacious rooms and friendly staff save this review from being two stars but I do wish the hotel's pricing was reviewed to match what they are offering.

So long as you know what to expect before you stay here, and go in with an open mind, it's fine.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
C M, General Manager at Best Western Garden Court Aylesbury, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear Johnny_c-l,
Thank you for your comments regarding your experience at the Holiday Inn Garden Court Aylesbury.
I was pleased to read that overall you had a great stay with us,you have found our bedrooms spacious and the staff was friendly.

We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Can't believe that the Holiday Inn expect you to pay the same prices for staying in this dump as their really nice hotels. Hotel smells like an old peoples home, the rooms while a good size admittedly, are in a real need of refurbishment as it is like stepping back into the 80s. Shower was cold, air con/ heater contraption was noisy so you couldn't have it on whilst trying to sleep., Food was very expensive for very poor quality food. Have to say I will not be back which is a shame as I like the Holiday Inn usually

1  Thank suitcasecarrier
C M, General Manager at Best Western Garden Court Aylesbury, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear suitcasecarrier,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Garden Court Aylesbury. We work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and we try our hardest to provide not just good value, but comfortable, clean and friendly accommodation. Please accept my sincere apologies for failing short of your expectations.

Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and services we offer to our guests.

We value you as our guest and hope you will continue to choose IHG for your travel needs.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stayed here for two nights and it reminded me of a US motel in many ways. The rooms are very large and the TVs have freeview.

The car park is large but the number of cars that seemed to be parked across the parking bay lines were huge - perhaps the hotel should employ a driving instructor to give guests basic lessons over breakfast!

The hotel itself has a slight smell of damp wood about it and there's no denying that it's dated. The wifi was painfully slow but free.

The bathrooms need renovating - there was a panel coming off the wall and there was a major problem with the shower pressure - basically it worked fine for 2 minutes then lost pressure and only regained it for a few seconds when you turned it off and back on again.

I didn't eat at the hotel as the prices were high for what you got, and the menu had to be one of the most limited menus I've ever seen at a hotel. The use of the gym and pool is included but I was told you had to buy a padlock to use a locker so I didn't bother.

It wouldn't take much to make this hotel far better than it is but for now, it doesn't get more than 2 out of 5.

1  Thank GarethK95
C M, General Manager at Best Western Garden Court Aylesbury, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear GarethK95,
Thank you for your detailed review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn garden Court Aylesbury.We rely on you our valued guest to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night and while it is absolutely fine, it is very dated. The bathroom needs a deep clean and was incredibly noisy (perhaps it was just a problem with our room 207), the hot water tap and the toilet made it sound like something was taking off! The bed was comfortable, the staff very polite and the breakfast was good. It's just a shame the decor lets it down.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
C M, General Manager at Best Western Garden Court Aylesbury, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear catherine10_88

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Garden Court Aylesbury.Your review is vital for improving the service and quality we offer to our valued guest. I am pleased to know that you found the staff very polite and the breakfast was good, please accept my apologies regarding the maintenance in the bathroom.
Thank you again for your valuable review and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my boyfriend recently. We stayed in room 108. The room was very big which we liked but the decoration needs a full refurbishment, the mattress is very hard and the bathroom needs redecorating. Wouldn't advise anyone to stay here. The best thing about my stay was the friendly staff at the reception.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
C M, General Manager at Best Western Garden Court Aylesbury, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear keish92,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent experience with us.
We relay on you our guest to let us know how we are doing and can we better meet your needs.
Please accept my sincere apologies if this visit was not 100% satisfactory due to the condition of the room.Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests.

We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

Stayed here as my regular hotel - The Holiday Inn on the other side of town, was full and there was not much left locally available. I had heard bad things about this place so wasn't expecting a lot.
The good - friendly staff, large clean room, a good night sleep, freshly cooked breakfast, cheap. The bad - the 'restaurant'/'bar' needs a complete refurb it's embarrassing, the barman needs lessons in customer service and the rooms could do with a refresh, especially the bathrooms.
This could be a decent little hotel, it would be better suited to be a Holiday Inn Express after a refurb and with the bar/restaurant extended and renovated.

Probably a 3.5 stars, needs more TLC for 4 stars.

Room Tip: I would imagine that first floor rooms at the far end are quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear nuneatonmark,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Garden Court Aylesbury.
Please accept my sincere apologies that our restaurant/bar ambience fell bellow your expectations and for the inconvenience this may have caused you.

We value you as our guest and we hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Best regards

Reviewed 9 March 2014

I booked a couple of nights at this hotel for me and my girlfriend to celebrate my birthday. we stayed in room 113, the room was very big nicely decorated and had everything we needed in it including a flat screen tv, comfy pillows, bath/shower and a sofa! we ordered room service from the bar snacks menu (omelette, chips & salad) which was really nice and my girlfriend had forgotten a few everyday essentials but the receptionists on duty over the couple of days help or even gave us everything we needed! brilliant service and I will 100% be staying again!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear aylad955,

Thank you for your recent review regarding your stay at the Holiday Inn Garden Court Aylesbury.
It sounds as thought you really enjoyed your stay.It is with valuable feedback such as yours that we feel that our hard work is really appreciated.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us, and we hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Carlos Maio

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aylesbury
#9 of 12 in Aylesbury
#1 of 2 in Waddesdon
Travelodge Buckingham
Travelodge Buckingham
#2 of 4 in Buckingham

Been to Best Western Garden Court Aylesbury? Share your experiences!