“Very enjoyable bank holiday Monday lunch”

Innkeeper's Lodge- Aylesbury South Weston Turville
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Aylesbury
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We had a most enjoyable pub lunch in the front garden on the bank holiday Monday. Friendly, prompt service and reasonable prices. Beer battered mushrooms really enjoyable and cost only £2 to add-onto a sandwich deal. Chicken and bacon sandwich was well made with a tasty filling. BBQ beef ciabatta was also very nice and a little bit different. Pâté and bread also good quality and my wife enjoyed. Lovely shandy! Would definitely recommend and go back again. Was quite tempted with the special Father's Day lunch. Was quite surprised how nice the pub was inside, original flagstones, lots of seating and very cosy.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 April 2013

We stayed just one night and found that the accommodation was very good - beds were comfy, enough wardrobe space and the bathroom was extremely spacious compared to other hotels I have stayed in. There are loads of car parking spaces and the only downfall of these premises is the bar food, although it looks old worldy and comfortable the service is really bad. We ordered a meal and drinks and it took 50 mins to complete. The food was not tasty, obviously frozen fast food, and we paid for B & B but we did not take up the offer of breakfast as the dinner was not nice!

I would reccommend the accommodation and drinks in the bar but not the food.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 March 2013

We stayed for one evening and on check in we had a friendly welcome and were given the keys for our room immediately We dropped our bags in the room and went downstairs to the attached bar for a snack and drinks which was very convenient.

Our room was nicely decorated with plenty of lights(something you don't always get), the bathroom was extremely warm due to a broken thermostatic radiator valve and the only way to cool it down at all was to open the bathroom window which was a challlenge due to it being stuck. The bedroom was also very warm and we slept with the window open. The room was small but included a wardrobe, desk, free wifi and a small brochure about the histpry of the pub which I thought was a nice touch. The complimentary continental breakfast was nicely presented and included fruit juice, fresh fruit, cereal and a bakery selection plus a newspaper on each table to read - again a thoughtful touch.

Just as we about to leave when checking our room to make sure we had left nothing behind we did notice that the pillowcases weren't clean.

I think that the Five Bells is a good economical, friendly choice to stay in and despite my niggles about the room if asked if I would stay again I would say yes. I think the owner works very hard at providing accomodation at a very reasonable price and it would not take much to bring this into the very good category.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2013

We spent three nights at this pub, and found our room to be warm and comfortable in good decorative order and clean. The bathroom was also very clean and adequate although somewhat on the compact side. We dined here every evening and found the menu to be fairly extensive with good food at a reasonable price. Nathan and his team were extremely friendly and helpful and we would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2013

I stayed for one night, but friends and family stayed for two/three nights and I have also asked their opinions and incorporated them in this review.

Overall, the place does the job and is very reasonable for the price. The accommodation is in a block right next to the pub, and the breakfast is taken in the pub. The pub itself is old and nice, serving a reasonable range of drinks. I did not eat any main meals there myself but am told by others in my group that they were fine. The pub closes at 11pm which whilst bad news for the drinkers amongst us, is good news for those in the rooms who want to go to sleep!

The rooms are fine in terms of size, cleanliness, comfort and facilities. No problems at all. There is plenty of free off road parking, and free wifi (I did not use this so can't say how good a connection it is)

The continental breakfast is a "help yourself buffet" style and is fine. I would have preferred a full English breakfast but this is not an option even though the pub offers a full menu from lunchtime onwards so must have the facilities and chef.

My only minor gripes are about that extra care that you would like to see, but I didn't - there was some confusion on arrival about the payment arrangements although the pub had a piece of paper from their central reservations unit giving all the details, there was no member of staff around when we we were taking breakfast or when I wanted to check out, and although almost all the hotel was taken over by people attending my son's wedding reception nearby there was no acknowledgemenbt of this or best wishes given etc

All in all, a good bet for a reasonable value overnight stay if you are doing something nearby

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 January 2013

My partner and I stayed here for New Years Eve. The pub is lovely and very vintage looking with a lovely log fire that you can sit by, the atmosphere was very nice. The room was cosy and clean with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was modern and clean, my only annoyance is that they hadn't replenished the hand wash in the bathroom. Breakfast was included in the room and consisted of juices, fruit, yogurts, different breads and pastries with jams and spread. I really enjoyed our stay here and for £30 a night will definitely be staying again.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2012

Just returned from a 2 night stay at the Five Bells. The evening meals we had in the restaurant were very good and the service was friendley and efficient. The restaurant was very busy but in spite of that food arrived quickly and was well cooked. Ashley is a hard worker! The rooms were basic but clean. Although we had a problem with our allocated room (room 7) we were moved to another room immediately without a fuss. We were actually locked in the room and were unable to open the door. From the state of the doorframe this looked like an ongoing problem. Please get it fixed! Continental breakfast was adequate but a cooked breakfast is always a good start to the day. However, it's still good value for money.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple