“Excellent restaurant”

Ranked #150 of 247 Restaurants in Aylesbury
Price range: US$4 - US$12
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Fantastic restaurant, West End food n service at a fraction of the price .. Never disappointed. Last visit was valentines day, exceptional meal, great service, nice ambience. Aylesburys hidden secret. We'll done all.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

My wife and I went there for a meal on the suggestion of a work colleague, we were not disappointed, yes it is a training restaurant and kitchen, however this does not detract from the standard of food and service given. Very good portion control, well cooked and presented by the chefs, front of house could have been a little sharper, silver service was of a reasonable standard.
The venue does lack "ambiance" but diners should expect this, it's not Le Manoir, but neither is it a Joe Lyons corner house. Good food and good service by young people learning a trade in the very competitive service industry.

Look forward to attending further meals there.

1  Thank John B
Reviewed 26 April 2013

We also realized that it was a training college but as EAA1972 pointed out it was the lack of training by the tutors. The first problem was that although only two of us were eating the table was laid up for 4 and was not cleared of the other 2 places. Then I asked for a pepper mill. the waiter did not understand so that was not forthcoming. I had trout with salad. There was no dressing at all on it. The waiter says that they would discuss it and maybe include it next time it is served. I then had coq au vin which did taste nice However the potatoes were rock hard. you could not cut them. I returned the meal and decided I was beaten. As a gesture we were not charged. I then got an email to offer us a free meal. We accepted this and tried again.Unfortunately the restaurant was completely empty There was some dressing on the salad which was good. The coq au vin was not as good as previously but the potatoes were cooked properly. Still no atmosphere and the waiters not at all comfortable in the role. For a training restaurant I thought that if I had paid it would have been very expensive. Cannot recommend it as I think these students have been badly let down.

2  Thank annethebank9
Reviewed 6 April 2013

With two weeks to go before Christmas myself and a friend decided to have a meal at Hardings.

If you unfamiliar with Harding’s it is associated with Aylesbury College and is operated by the students who study cooking at the college.

As it was approaching Christmas I expected the restaurant to be fully book but to my surprise it was easy to book a table and the telephone manner was that of a regular restaurant.

On arrival we were pleasantly greeted by a young chap who turned out to be our waiter for the day who took our coats to the cloak room before we were shown to our table.

The decor of Harding’s was not grand and luxurious but simple, easy on the eye and comfortable.

In terms of food there was only a set Christmas menu available which was a tad disappointing but not a show stopper.

Our order was taken promptly and professionally after which homemade bread and drinks were provided, which was a pleasant change from the pre-heated bread restaurants often offer.

For starter we had a ham hock which was well prepared and came with a tangy pickle sauce.

While the main was excellent, I ordered the Turkey with chipolata wrapped in bacon, roast potatoes, brussel sprouts, diced carrots and gravy. While my friend had the baked salmon with roast potatoes and vegetables. Very nice to say the least, the salmon was particularly nice as it had a delightful crispy skin and a soft texture to the meat.

Once again the professionalism of these young men shone through as we were not constantly interrupted during our meal and our plates were removed promptly without need for giving the waiter a signal.

After a short wait our deserts were served, which were a bitter chocolate tart, with raspberry couli and clotted cream. As with the main meal the tart was delicious and was a great choice of desert for a set menu.

Overall I can’t really complain with the meal, the food was well made, service impeccable and at £40 for a three course meal for two people that's a bargain!

In fact I would go so far to say it’s one of the best places to eat in Aylesbury and I would highly recommend giving Harding’s a try.

Reviewed 16 February 2013

My husband and I went for a meal last night to this 'training' restaurant on the side of Aylesbury college having heard good things. There was little ambiance but this was not a huge suprise. What was a surprise was the lack of knowledge exhibited by the lad serving us.
I realise this is a training restaurant but I think there should have been some training before being let loose on the public. He didnt know how to keep a bottle of wine cool, lent across us to serve bread, no ice in the diet coke etc etc.
Unfortunately, the food was disappointing to say the least. Not particularly well presented and cooler than I would have wanted. The new potatoes on my husbands dinner were not cooked enough and the portion of fish on his plate was tiny to say the least.
If I had been anywhere else I would not have paid and I would be giving one 1/5 - my feeling is that the tutors let the young people down by assuming that they were ready to serve the public.
Such a shame as I would have returned if it had been better.
What a let down both for us and the young people they are supposed to be training.

1  Thank EAA1972