“Disgusting service”

Holiday Inn High Wycombe M40, Jct.4
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in High Wycombe
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I tried to check in about 20 minutes early and got the usual we don't have any rooms ready yet. As a platinum priority club member a complimentary upgrade is usually offered (subject to availability) as I knew they were available to book I waited for my offer of an upgrade or indeed any other sign of recognition as one of the brands most loyal customers. Nothing was forthcoming, so I asked for an upgrade. I was informed none were available. At this point I said if my custom means so little to you I will go elsewhere. Suddenly, a room might be available but she needed to go and check! After a very long time, a most unpleasant person wearing a badge proclaiming her as front of house manager appeared and proceeded to bang on about room upgrades and policies. I have no doubt that if I had wanted to stand and listen to her lecture an upgraded room would have become available. However, I decided that my custom would be much better appreciated elsewhere and cancelled the reservation and left. As a word of warning to any other priority club member hoping for any of the benefits of membership at this hotel.....Really don't bother, they couldn't care less!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Andy C
Holiday_Innn, General Manager at Holiday Inn High Wycombe M40, Jct.4, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to feedback. I am sorry to read about your check-in experience. I believe that at the time the receptionist had upgraded you complimentary to a bigger standard double bedroom as no Executive bedrooms where available. As a Platinum Priority Club Member we offer many benefits from Express check-in, food and beverage discounts along with the best available bedroom being offered.
I have instigated some re-training with the receptionist to ensure that she is fully aware of the benefits we offer for all Priority Club Members and that these are conveyed in the correct manner to the Guest.
Thank you again for your valued feedback.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

I’ve given this five stars not because it’s a five star hotel, obviously - but because I thought it was excellent in its category. Stayed for one night, it was great. We don’t often stay in standard ‘budget’ hotels, so I confess I don’t have many experiences to compare it against, but I was very pleasantly surprised and wanted to review it as the excellent hardworking staff deserve some recognition! Everyone we came across was really friendly and professional, from the welcoming young man who checked us in, to the bar staff, to the lovely young lady who checked us out, to a couple of staff who we simply passed in the corridor but from whom we still received a warm smile and a polite verbal acknowledgement. On top of being nice people to start with, they had all clearly received good training.

No complaints at all about the cleanliness and upkeep, room was small but spotless, ditto bathroom. Simply but smartly furnished. Unlike a previous review, the corridor we stayed on (first floor) was very neat and fresh-looking, maybe one of the newly-refurbished ones? The restaurant/bar and reception areas were also very clean, modern and pleasant. We booked last minute (5 hours notice) and got a better deal ringing the hotel direct (£79 for Easter Saturday, good value compared to some nearby B&Bs we considered) than was available anywhere online. This of course may vary from day to day, but I’d say it’s worth checking both online and by phone to ensure you get the best price.

I suppose if I was in a picky mood I might knock off half a star for some very minor things: The (tasty) bacon at breakfast wasn’t quite hot enough and not helped by the plates not being warmed; the bedside lights weren’t working, I’m confident they’d have fixed them if we’d asked, but it was very late and we just wanted to get into bed; room was a tad on the chilly side, although in fairness we didn’t try to alter the heating before we turned in, so we might have been able to adjust it, I’ll never know! Oh, and had we wanted to use the internet, I would agree that the rates seem expensive, but we didn’t use it so it didn’t bother us.

All in all I’d say this place is a really good choice if you want a hassle-free stopover in the Wycombe area or a convenient spot near the M40 to break a long journey. Would happily stay again if the need arose.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MoneypennyLondon
Holiday_Innn, General Manager at Holiday Inn High Wycombe M40, Jct.4, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Thank you so much for your honest feedback from your recent stay with us at Holiday Inn. I have passed on your great comments about how friendly you found the Team. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards

Mark Langham

Reviewed 4 April 2012

The Holiday Inn High Wycombe is perfectly fine if you are in the area on business, the rooms are clean and well appointed, the bar and restaurant are very good and the access to the M40 is great. Unfortunately there isn't very much to do in the local vicinity apart from a multiplex cinema and a couple of identikit restaurants. Despite the name, this hotel is not a place to holiday and may a bit far from Heathrow for travellers but i you're in the area and looking for a clean and compfrotable stay, you wont have much to complain about.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms can be a fair walk fom reception so if this is a problem, let them know
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Andypandymacanandi
HIElena, Manager at Holiday Inn High Wycombe M40, Jct.4, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

Dear Andy,
Thank you for taking the time to write about us.
I am very pleased to hear that you found the rooms clean and well appointed. I am also glad you enjoy our bar and restaurant and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Kind regards,
Elena

Reviewed 26 March 2012

My wife and i had a very pleasant one night stay here, the room was really clean, warm and inviting, the staff were friendly and the food was brilliant, we really enjoyed our stay and will definately stay again if we are in the area.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank geoned57
Holiday_Innn, General Manager at Holiday Inn High Wycombe M40, Jct.4, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

Thank you so much for your feedback from your recent stay here at at High Wycombe. I have passed your comments to the Team on how friendly they were and also on how clean the bedroom was along with the great meal experience you had.

Look forward to hosting your next stay when your are in the area.

Kind regards

Reviewed 21 March 2012

A well-located, if unprepossessing hotel right on top of Handy Cross junction. Handy for work in High Wycombe, but not much else........ Good reception with helpful staff, but no concierge. Nice bar area. Expensive drinks. VERY expensive. Expensive internet: £10 for 4 hours, £5 for 1 hour? Forget it........ when most other chains give it for free. We all know hotel phones are dear, but 10p a minute to ring IN??????/ Come on, Holiday Inn, get a grip, that is ridiculous! At least the car park was free.........VERY tired corridors with damaged paintwork from service trollies... too high for cases/bags...... cold rooms, heating inoperative. Fridge locked, so water could not be chilled..... very limited selection of hot drinks in room. Good toiletries, nice towels. MOULDY BATH sealant, shower head not descaled. No bag in bin in bathroom. Duvet tucked into foot of bed so it would only reach up to my midriff.... and only went to edge of bed at the sides. In restaurant in the evening, it took less than 5 minutes for my drink to arrive, but 45 minutes for my meal. When it came, it was tasteless (Ok, it was hot). NOT good enough! Breakfast was good, but plates in hot self service were dirty: I had to sift through 3 before I found a clean one.
Points above were reported to reception on check-out.
This is simply not good enough: Holiday Inn are promoting themselves as being "Hotel Provider to London 2012 Games", and they come up with this sort of offering? This is the second time I have been very disappointed with this chain, which used to be so good.

Room Tip: For Heavens' sake, don't get one on the side of the A404: you won't get any sleep!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Iain Richard S

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor.

After reading your comment about the duvet, I decided to stay in the hotel and experience this myself. You are absolutely right having the duvet tucked in at the bottom of the bed is frustrating. I did ask the Head Housekeeper why we do this, the response was purely for presentation. You will be pleased to know that as of Good Friday this practice will stop.

I am pleased that you liked the toiletries and bath sheets. From a recent Tripadvisor comment about the size and quality of the bath towels we had decided to change them all for new and move across to bath sheets rather than towels.

The hotel has been working through a planned maintenance schedule. We have just completed the business lounge and restaurant and are due to start works on the bedroom corridors this year.

Many thanks again

Reviewed 14 March 2012

Had an overnight stay here in March 2012. Booked in advance on the internet we had a double room which was very reasonable at £44. Check in was swift and courteous. The room was nicely laid out and very clean. A bit stingy on the tea and coffee facilities in the room and the bed wasn't very comfortable a bit like a wobbly jelly. The service in the bar was good in the evening but the price for two smallish glasses of pinot grigot at £6.50 each was a bit much! However we'd stay again as it was a clean, quiet, functional hotel at a very good price.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank itsgottabehot

Thank you for your fantastic comments from your recent stay with us. You will be pleased to hear that we have recently introduced a Guest Information Tent Card on all tea trays to inform Guests that we can supply additional tea/coffee as well as deliver fresh milk to the bedroom along with decaffeinated and herbal options.

I have passed onto Housekeeping on how clean your bedroom was and instigated my Maintenance Team to complete a bed audit.

Thank you again for taking the time to complete a review on Tripadvisor and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Many thanks

Mark Langham

Reviewed 12 March 2012

This was a good hotel overall. Room was nice, although the air conditioning didn't work, so the room was rather warm; we opened the window and put up with the road noise (still slept pretty well). I didn't bother telling reception that evening as it would probably have meant we had to move rooms - I did tell them on departure though. Breakfast was excellent - A1; great choice and a good cup of coffee.

Several items had been added to my bill (I prepaid for the room) when I came to check-out; I don't know what these were and the chap at reception couldn't tell me. After several minutes, he managed to remove them and gave me a new invoice.

Room Tip: Check the air-con first!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank lostintheirishsea
HIElena, Manager at Holiday Inn High Wycombe M40, Jct.4, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Holiday Inn High Wycombe.
I appreciate all the comments you made regarding your experience at the hotel and I would like to apologise for the additional items on your bill. I would be grateful if you could contact me in order to provide further details of your experience with us. This will enable us to address any issues with the specific departments.
I sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn High Wycombe.
Yours sincerely,

Rye Court Hotel
Rye Court Hotel
#7 of 14 in High Wycombe
Hotel ibis budget Beaconsfield

Been to Holiday Inn High Wycombe M40, Jct.4? Share your experiences!