“Passable”

Holiday Inn High Wycombe M40, Jct.4
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in High Wycombe
Reviewed 31 May 2012

My first impressions was one of disappointment, the foyer seemed disorganised and it was a long way to our room for my disabled wife. The heating was not on and we felt cold throughout the night.

Room Tip: Insist on help for the disabled.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
HIElena, Manager at Holiday Inn High Wycombe M40, Jct.4, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments.
I would be grateful if you could email me on elena.corbioli@ihg.com in order to provide further details of your experience with us.
Kind regards,
Elena

Reviewed 31 May 2012

I have stayed in many 3 star hotels and above but this hotel has to be the best. This hotel is the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in the housekeeping is outstanding. I read previous reviews before my trip and was concerned about sleeping in a room near the road due to noise after reading the review let me put anyone mind at easy on this point. I live in the countryside so I am used to quite surroundings etc. My room was room 9 as close as could be to the road but could I hear the road noise at the height of rush hour NO so no matter what other reviews say take my advice and ignore them. The staff were just so helpful and kind the reception staff especially Clifton and Louis and the ladies on reception were outstanding. My room had everything you could need and was comfortable especially liked the choice of hard or soft pillows (great ideal wish all hotels would do this). My bathroom was spacious and had bath and a very good shower. The only thing my room lacked was an iron/ironing board but apart from that you could not wish to stay in a better hotel. The breakfast was very good and plenty of selection. In fact from this experience it’s going to be Holiday Inn group for me from now on in. Well done Holiday Inn, High Wycombe

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank MelNorthYorkshire

Dear Guest,
I am delighted that we have been able to offer you a great stay. It is good to read that you had a great night sleep with our choice of pillow.
Thanks for your positive comments about the variety of our breakfast and the helpfulness of our staff. It really makes the efforts of the team valued and your comments will only encourage them to continue with the great service we strive for.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Kind regards,
Elena Corbioli
Operations Manager

Reviewed 19 May 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights on business and also held a conference there. Following a lengthy flight from Australia I called to ask for an early check in and this was arranged with no problems. Thank you. I was a little shocked to find earlier negative comments about the staff as I found them all very helpful irrespective of the area in which they worked. The rooms are a little 'tired' but provide you with what you would expect from the Holiday Inn chain. The breakfast is great with lots of choice but not too many tables, which I found surprising considering they tend to have coach holiday guests, so it can get busy. I have to agree with earlier comments regarding the internet it is extortionate! I was lucky as I got it for 5 days so it worked out not too bad. It is well located for onward travel but not if you want to explore High Wycombe. The conference facilities were great but it was annoying that other conferences that were booked there consistently walked past our tea/coffee station with pastries and helped themselves. There are lots of people who meet there in the lobby to do business. One negative on checkout, was that they had included my room charge per night which was paid in advance. This was confusing as I had to minus/add parts of the bill. Just bill me for what I owe!!Overall, an average hotel and you can clearly see it it caters for guests generally stopping for one night before travelling on.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 1 - 30. This are on the main corridor which everyone generally walks through to get to r...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Holiday_Innn, General Manager at Holiday Inn High Wycombe M40, Jct.4, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2012

Thank you so much in taking the time to fill out on TripAdvisor your experience from your recent stay here at High Wycombe. I will pass your great comments onto the Team. The tea and coffee stations in the Academy Conference and Training Centre are stations that we run all day for all delegates attending a meeting along with any Treats that we put out. We can offer private refreshment stations in your own meeting room if required along with any snacks. I have spoken to the Conference and Events Team to ensure they inform our Customers on meet and greet that we run all day shared refreshment stations so that there is no confusion.

Thank you again for your valued feedback and I hope we have the pleasure of seeing you soon at the Hotel.

Reviewed 12 May 2012

If you are looking for a clean and comfortable bed for a night or two in the High Wycombe area then you would be hard pressed to beat this one. It is very reasonable, clean and i had an exemplary check in/out service. Food was nothing to shout about but as i was looking for a simple meal and a glass of wine after a long day it was perfectly adequate. My room last time was tiny and as i was in the area for a yoga assessment it was tricky finding a spot to warm up so have opted (i hope!) for a larger room when i stay again in October.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo

Thank you for completing a review on line of your recent stay at High Wycombe. It was great to read your feedback and especially the check-in/check-out. I have passed this onto the Front Desk Team. We do have a mixture of bedroom sizes, if you could email me direct on mark.langham@ihg.com then I will ensure that we upgrade you to an Executive bedroom with my compliments which will offer you more floor space for your Yoga.

See you in October.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

This hotel is stuck in a time warp. The only updated areas are the reception, bar and restaurant. the bedrooms are tired and shabby. I am an Ambassador Platinum member of the IHG Priority Club. I had to ask for an upgrade. Drum Roll........ none available sir! Fully booked sir. How interesting that I could book a superior room on the Holiday Inn website with no mention whatsoever of "No rooms available" such a shame that the crowne plaza in Marlow was fully booked. Save yourself the trouble and stay somewhere else

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel. Try book in at the crowne plaza in Marlow 3 miles away. Similar rates but ts got M...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that on this occasion we have not met your expectations. The hotel does have a planned maintenance schedule to ensure that we keep the bedrooms up-to-date and fresh looking. We are currently working on some enhancements to our Executive bedrooms and will move to our Standard rooms later this year.
If you are planning to stay in the area again please email on mark.langham@ihg.com and I will personally take care of your booking and ensure we offer you one of these upgraded bedrooms.

Many thanks for your feedback, it is Customers such as yourself that help us maintain the expected standard from a Holiday Inn.

Reviewed 12 April 2012

I tried to check in about 20 minutes early and got the usual we don't have any rooms ready yet. As a platinum priority club member a complimentary upgrade is usually offered (subject to availability) as I knew they were available to book I waited for my offer of an upgrade or indeed any other sign of recognition as one of the brands most loyal customers. Nothing was forthcoming, so I asked for an upgrade. I was informed none were available. At this point I said if my custom means so little to you I will go elsewhere. Suddenly, a room might be available but she needed to go and check! After a very long time, a most unpleasant person wearing a badge proclaiming her as front of house manager appeared and proceeded to bang on about room upgrades and policies. I have no doubt that if I had wanted to stand and listen to her lecture an upgraded room would have become available. However, I decided that my custom would be much better appreciated elsewhere and cancelled the reservation and left. As a word of warning to any other priority club member hoping for any of the benefits of membership at this hotel.....Really don't bother, they couldn't care less!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Andy C
Holiday_Innn, General Manager at Holiday Inn High Wycombe M40, Jct.4, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to feedback. I am sorry to read about your check-in experience. I believe that at the time the receptionist had upgraded you complimentary to a bigger standard double bedroom as no Executive bedrooms where available. As a Platinum Priority Club Member we offer many benefits from Express check-in, food and beverage discounts along with the best available bedroom being offered.
I have instigated some re-training with the receptionist to ensure that she is fully aware of the benefits we offer for all Priority Club Members and that these are conveyed in the correct manner to the Guest.
Thank you again for your valued feedback.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

I’ve given this five stars not because it’s a five star hotel, obviously - but because I thought it was excellent in its category. Stayed for one night, it was great. We don’t often stay in standard ‘budget’ hotels, so I confess I don’t have many experiences to compare it against, but I was very pleasantly surprised and wanted to review it as the excellent hardworking staff deserve some recognition! Everyone we came across was really friendly and professional, from the welcoming young man who checked us in, to the bar staff, to the lovely young lady who checked us out, to a couple of staff who we simply passed in the corridor but from whom we still received a warm smile and a polite verbal acknowledgement. On top of being nice people to start with, they had all clearly received good training.

No complaints at all about the cleanliness and upkeep, room was small but spotless, ditto bathroom. Simply but smartly furnished. Unlike a previous review, the corridor we stayed on (first floor) was very neat and fresh-looking, maybe one of the newly-refurbished ones? The restaurant/bar and reception areas were also very clean, modern and pleasant. We booked last minute (5 hours notice) and got a better deal ringing the hotel direct (£79 for Easter Saturday, good value compared to some nearby B&Bs we considered) than was available anywhere online. This of course may vary from day to day, but I’d say it’s worth checking both online and by phone to ensure you get the best price.

I suppose if I was in a picky mood I might knock off half a star for some very minor things: The (tasty) bacon at breakfast wasn’t quite hot enough and not helped by the plates not being warmed; the bedside lights weren’t working, I’m confident they’d have fixed them if we’d asked, but it was very late and we just wanted to get into bed; room was a tad on the chilly side, although in fairness we didn’t try to alter the heating before we turned in, so we might have been able to adjust it, I’ll never know! Oh, and had we wanted to use the internet, I would agree that the rates seem expensive, but we didn’t use it so it didn’t bother us.

All in all I’d say this place is a really good choice if you want a hassle-free stopover in the Wycombe area or a convenient spot near the M40 to break a long journey. Would happily stay again if the need arose.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MoneypennyLondon
Holiday_Innn, General Manager at Holiday Inn High Wycombe M40, Jct.4, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2012

Thank you so much for your honest feedback from your recent stay with us at Holiday Inn. I have passed on your great comments about how friendly you found the Team. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards

#8 of 14 in High Wycombe
The Kings Hotel
The Kings Hotel
#1 of 1 in Stokenchurch

Been to Holiday Inn High Wycombe M40, Jct.4? Share your experiences!