“Chaotic fire drill”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in High Wycombe
derbys uk
“Chaotic fire drill”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Stayed here for two nights for a trip to Wembley. Didn't realise it's about 1.5 miles from railway station. Managed to hitch a lift down the incredibly long hill but cost £9.30 for taxi ride back up! Breakfast is very expensive at £10.50 each and had we known Asda and John Lewis were so near would have gone there (much better value). We were unfortunate enough to experience a fire alarm on the Saturday night which seemed chaotic as the staff were a little nonplussed as to what to do. Someone did mention that there was no roll call - just a member of staff saying we could all re-enter the building. Staff were very accommodating and pleasant but overall an expensive weekend. The outside areas were poorly maintained - ashtrays full to overflowing and pots and glasses left overnight.

Room Tip: No lift so if you're challenged in the walking department ask for ground floor room
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Vanda K, Manager at Holiday Inn High Wycombe M40, Jct.4, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Spireman

Thank you for your comments, it is with our guests comments that we continue to improve our service. I am sorry that you had to experience a fire drill during your stay, this must have been both alarming and inconvenient. Our team are fully trained on fire evacuation procedure but we will do a refresher training this week to ensure the role call is being actioned.

I was sorry to hear that you thought our award winning breakfast was expensive, if you are back in the area again I would love to offer you 2 complimentary breakfasts. I have sent you a message with details of how to claim this.

I am glad that you found the team very accommodating and pleasant and I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon. If your preference is to have a ground floor room, we would be more than happy to provide you with one should you chose to stay with us again.

Kind regards
Vanda

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Czech first
UK
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I stayed here for a single night while on business. The hotel is conveniently located just of the M40 at J4 (as the title suggests). From memory there is a cinema and Franky and Bennys within walking distant but not much else. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. Its a little difficult to say any more as I didn't have dinner or breakfast here. All in all a good stay but a little out the way if your planning a long stay. Rooms were average looking but clean.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Richard M, General Manager at Holiday Inn High Wycombe M40, Jct.4, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear dharms,

many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed our location and the proximity to local facilities and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

regards

Richard
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Very convenient to M40, and walking distance to a cinema, supermarket and out of town John Lewis. Friendly and efficient staff.
Room was on the small side, but comfortable and well maintained. Bathroom a bit tired, with no shaving mirror and thin towels.
Food was fine, with good service.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed here to break up a journey home from Gatwick on a Friday evening, and appreciated the proximity to the motorway and the free parking.

On check-in I was told that I had been upgraded to a club room in the garden wing, unfortunately there is no lift although I was asked if I would like help with my bags. The 'upgrade' was mainly just a larger TV but from the layout and comments from other people I think the bonus is looking over the courtyard rather than being close to the noise of the motorway.

The room was clean and comfortable with excellent lighting and the bathroom was well stocked - including a sewing kit which I haven't seen in a Holiday Inn (or any hotel) for a long while!

There was no free WiFi coverage which was a disappointment as I had stayed at a HI Express the night before with excellent free WiFi. On checkout there was a wait as the customer in front had many issues with internet charges and there was only 1 member of staff - she was however extremely polite and did apologise for the wait.

I did not eat in the restaurant but noted that there was a Starbucks in the hotel. There is a cinema right by the hotel and a number of chain restaurants within walking distance.

I would definitely stay here again if I got a good price - I paid less than a third of the advertised rate so it was excellent value.

Room Tip: The garden wing is very quiet
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
cornwall
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Stayed one night as we were travelling early from the airport next day.
I seem to remember Holiday Inns being better quality than this in the past.
Nothing particularly wrong with the hotel, just pretty basic and it has no lift, so if lots of luggage - specify ground floor rooms.
Room was spacious and clean with OK beds. Ample parking.
Breakfast seemed pricy,so ate in Frankie and Benny's round the corner - very good.
We had an excellent (room only) internet deal at less than £40.
Would I stay again at that rate - yes
Would I stay at the 'normal' £100 rate - no

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn High Wycombe M40, Jct.4, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear pastyfaceCornwall,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and for staying with us. We are delighted to see you enjoyed your room accommodations. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit. Thank you again for your comments.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
UK
Reviewed 9 March 2014

typical HIE. Easy check in. Room was of the standard expected of a HI, clean and basic with coffee making facilities. The 'curtains' were unique and a bit strange which made me feel like i was on the inside of a wardrobe! (they were wooden sliding curtains.... breakfast was included in the rate and was of an excellent quality. Its a great place for a meeting but not a secret meeting place as there were lots of people there in the morning!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We were a group of four. Everyone hated their rooms. I'm so sick of holiday inn being such a disappointment. I'm not always allowed to choose the hotels we stay in, but any input I provide is just "Not a Holiday Inn". Breakfast was inedible. I'd usually have some granola & yoghurt with a bit of fruit, then have a sausage as a treat. They have no granola and the sausage are like leather. Disgusting.

Room Tip: In the main building - off the highway. The noise is insufferable.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn High Wycombe M40, Jct.4, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear dangermousie,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to High Wycombe.

Orlando A.

#7 of 14 in High Wycombe
Abbey Lodge Hotel
Abbey Lodge Hotel
#9 of 14 in High Wycombe

Been to Holiday Inn High Wycombe M40, Jct.4? Share your experiences!