“Very reasonable but very basic”
Review of Chris's Motel

Chris's Motel
Ranked #13 of 19 High Wycombe B&B and Inns
Sussex
“Very reasonable but very basic”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Stayed here for two nights recently. On the plus side the motel is very reasonably priced, I paid £27 per night for a single room. The bedroom was very clean as was the shared bathroom. Food portions for evening meals in the cafe were very generous and very reasonable (£7 for two courses) and breakfast was acceptable although this appeared to be limited to just cooked food from what I saw and was not offered other items such as cereal, fruit etc. On the negative side the single rooms are very tiny at approx 4ft width by 10ft length. There is only room for a small single bed, you cannot fully stretch your arms out without hitting both walls. There is no chair in the room as there is not enough space and if you sit on the bed and are adult size your knees will hit the wall, so to relax in your room you need to be on the bed. To be fair this motel is designed for truckers who want a few hours kip and will be in and out of the room. The upstairs section I was in had 8 bedrooms and I think one was a twin and there was only one bathroom for 9 of us to share!! I did not think that would be a problem as I was getting up at 6am but I was proved wrong as all the truckers get up early so I had to wait half an hour when I got up to get into the bathroom - not good. There are no sinks in the bedrooms nor any mirrors, the only mirror is a small round shaving mirror in the communal bathroom, not great if you need to check your appearance more carefully for work meetings. My rooms was very stuffy due to good weather, opening the window did let in fresh air but the noise from the road and the trucks was such that I had to close it to try and get some sleep. However sleep was not easy as the walls are very thin and I had to listen to the conversation from the twin room on one side and the TV on the other. Noise also started very early in the morning with truckers getting up to use the bathroom and driving off in their lorries. No towels are provided so make sure you pack a towel if you want a shower in the morning. Staff were not particularly friendly, no welcome given when I arrived and no explanation of anything such as breakfast etc, I think they have a lot of regulars from the haulage sector and so the niceties you expect when you arrive somewhere new just dont happen. So, you need to consider carefully what you want, if it is just a few hours kip on route somewhere and you are on a tight budget then fine, but if you are not then I would spend the extra £10-£20 per night on a family run b and b and if nothing else have less people sharing the bathroom and less noise.

Room Tip: Small motel, I dont think there will be a "good room" as such.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Booked at short notice over the phone, good clean place to stay, checking in was quick and easy.staff friendly and cheerful. Plenty of red kites flying around all day.Motel and cafe ideally located. Only drawback was when bookings I didn't realise it's a truck stop.Shared bathrooms within the toilet areas were the only disappointment but at the end of the day it's a cheap place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014
Reviewed 6 February 2014 via mobile

I came to chris's cafe as i was working in the area for a week. As the hours I work are long I didn't get there until half ten at night. I phoned the number on the door for checking in and got a load of abuse. Eventually got the key I needed to what can only be described as a rabbit hutch!! I am 6 foot 3 and on stretching out on the bed my feet hit the opposite wall. The bed was the worse I have experienced. It was a thick sponge on top of a broken matress. It has caused me no end of back and neck trouble. I couldnt change accomadation as it was booked by my boss. But given the choice I would of slept in my car and been more comfy. The breakfast was ok but not brill.

All in all I recommend avoiding at all costs.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Graham B
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights, on business. The room was small but contained everything that was required. The room was clean, as were the toilets and showers. Staff were very pleasant. I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Philip K
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I stayed for 4 nights as I am on a contract the other side of High Wycombe. The room was clean, the bed made up every day. The staff were very friendly (especially Jason) and the food was very good ! I would recommend the Steak and Steak and Kidney pies, they are excellent. A very pleasurable experience and I shall be back next week !

Room Tip: Pay a little more and you'll have more room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

As a Business Traveler on a Budget I am looking for Value for money, A good nights sleep, Cleanliness and usually en-suite, this time I chose non on-suite. I received 5 star service on all three points. The room was smaller than most but was perfect for my needs and includes a wall mounted flat screen tv. The room was serviced every day and was spotlessly clean. The Toilets were of the same high standard. The separate single shower room looks to be a new addition and was of very high spec including a double shower cubicle with double shower head.There is a guests lounge with large plasma tv. I did not require breakfast as i had early starts (4am) but the Cafe was always full and the quality and portion size looked very appetizing! I stayed here for 9 consecutive nights and had 9 good quiet nights sleep. This Motel has been here for many years and unlike many independent hostelries the haven't compromised on standards to save money. They deliver exactly what the business traveler needs at the right price. well done Chris's Motel!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

My room looked clean & bedding was fine but room did come with a couple of toenails, an empty drink bottle & a roach of some kind. Other bugs can be excused in hot weather but not roaches! Shared bathroom very clean, nice tv & tea/coffee in room. Good breakfast when i was eventually verified as a paying guest, maybe come up with a more efficient guest friendly system? Expect noise from truckers from the v early hours. Nice pub 1 mile away, nothing else. Matched my expectations for value

• Stayed July 2013
#1 of 1 in Ibstone
The Lambert Hotel
The Lambert Hotel
#1 of 1 in Lewknor

Been to Chris's Motel? Share your experiences!