“Ideal”

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in High Wycombe
Workington, United Kingdom
“Ideal”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Second time we have stayed at this Travelodge. Ideally situated right next to eden shopping centre, town centre and walking distance to rail station. We used this Travelodge as a base for daily trips to London where we saw 6 west end shows in 3 days. Although there is nothing wrong with the bare-café, there is a wetherspoon (The Falcon) 2-3 minutes walk where we had breakfast before heading off to London every day. The only down side is that ther is no parking facility on-site, however there is drop off facility and there is a car park at George Street (5 minute walk) that charges £3 per day (7pm - 7am free), so no hardship. Overall an ideal base for London and/or surrounding area

Room Tip: Not all rooms have a Bath (shower cubicals)
2 Thank Apothecary53

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Exmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We booked this hotel as it was convenient to where we were going and after reading the Hotel Overview on the Travelodge website decided that it would be OK. It seemed as if it was easy to find from the directions & I assumed that the Sat Nav would successfully find it as the website stated! Yes it did, sort of, it found the hotel, but only from the Main Road (A40) to which there is NO ACCESS to the hotel. The road to access the Hotel entrance which is at the rear of the building was not recognised by my TOMTOM and anyway is only accessible by Buses!! Eventually after several abortive attempts to approach it from a different direction, bearing in mind I was in a strange town with traffic rushing everywhere, (and which the Sat Nav could not cope with), I did find the entrance to the rear of the hotel, though a gap between to shops with a small sign over it stating that it went to the Travelodge! They are obviously not expecting you to arrive by car! The area behind the hotel was festooned with double yellow lines and was obviously a service area for the shops not the Hotel car Park. Imagine my surprise to discover that the hotel does NOT HAVE A CAR PARK!!! This was not in the overview, although since our return I have discovered a tab which advises that it does not have a car park. This should have been made clear in the Overview, surely!!!
We are able to stop to unload but told to move the car as the wardens would book it! I was advised that I needed to park in the multi storey car park for the shopping centre opposite! The entrance was easy to find however it was very disorienteering being inside a building going round and round trying to find a space. The car park is massive and I could find no signs to indicate levels or zones!! I did find a space and thought that as it was by an exit it would be easy to locate when we left. I found some stairs which took me into the shopping centre and I am sure that most of us find them confusing as they all look alike! I did eventually find the way to the hotel. No map or instructions had been offered by the hotel, which may have assisted!
Anyway got back to reception and booked in, this was OK. We asked about whether they had a restaurant which they said they did but we would not need to pre-book, just turn up when hungry. We had already pre purchased breakfast for the next morning!
The room was OK although a tad small, although clean and fresh smelling. The window was shut and we realised why when we opened it to try and cool down the room. With no Airconditioning it was obvious that there was no way of cooling the room without the window open and that would have prevented any kind of sleep!!! The hotel overlooked the main dual carraigeway into High Wycombe (A40) and this road was BUSY BUSY and NOISY NOISY!!!! You immediately realise that a good nights sleep will be unlikely because you are going to roast or be deafened!!
We had a coffee and after a rest to recover from the journey went down for a meal. Well the restaurant is a very `plasticky' cafe. The plastic chairs and plastic topped tables should really have indicated to us that the food would also be plastic!! In hindsight we should have gone elsewhere there and then, however after a 4 hour drive we decided to try it. The menu looked OK, so we went for it. Opting for the 2 course meal deal (£12.95 including a drink) we chose our starters and main course and asked if instead of 2 individual drinks I could buy a bottle of wine and have the drinks cost from the meal deal used as part payment. This was apparently not possible so I asked for 2 glasses of wine. The server, (MATT) asked if we wanted medium or large glasses of wine so I said large. Imagine my surprise when he said that the cost was £31.80 not the expected £25.90!!! When I queried this he said it was because I asked for large glasses not mediums which were the size included in the meal deal! He had not said that prior to pouring out the glasses and he had suggested that I could have either size!!!
Further questioning came with a blank face from `MATT' I paid up rather than cause a fuss!! How many others has he caught out this way.
The starter arrived strange that the salad garnish with the chicken goujons was raw CABBAGE leaves!!! The Cheese Garlic bread was OK, nothing to write home about though!
The fish and chips which we had both ordered however was yuk!!!! It was pre-formed pieces covered with some form of batter totally tasteless and certainly not worth the £7.50? Our last trip to a Premier Inn where we had had fish and chips for the same price was fantastic, lovely proper fish in hot and crispy batter not waste fish bits compressed into a block and battered!! The chips were spartan and poor and the peas of the cheap frozen variety. Overall a very poor meal and certainly not to be recommended! There only appeared to be 2 staff in evidence and no manager/supervisor although I guess there was other staff in the kitchen.
After a very poor nights sleep due to the heat in the room and the stupidity of putting a 10.5 tog duvet on the bed and the incredible road noise outside we went for breakfast. Cereals, well can't do much wrong there, the full english breakfast started with cold plates, no fried eggs (only scrambled and tasteless) cheap sausages, fatty streaky smoked bacon, grilled tomatoes and cheap beans! No fried bread or potatoes or mushrooms so not what I would call a full English!!

The orange juice must have started from an orange because of the `bits' in it, but overall pretty grotty!!

Overall my conclusion is that you know with budget hotels it will be `plasticky' and certain corners will be cut, but this Hotel cut so many corners that it needs to be closed!!! IT WAS ABSOLUTELY AWFUL!!!!! We were in Room 312 which is on the road side (A40)of the hotel, I would suggest to anyone desperate to stay there to demand a rear facing room, as although I can't say it would have been quieter. my guess is that it would have been!
We will not by choice choose a Travelodge again, sadly there was a Premier Inn just up the road, but when we had looked on their website prior to booking this Travelodge it had not mentioned it!!

Room Tip: Not one overlooking the A40
1 Thank Paul C
Worcester
Reviewed 24 August 2014

I booked in advance, and gave my credit card number to secure the room. On arrival, I was told that there was no room, that overbooking was company policy, and we would have to go to Aylesbury! This is completely unacceptable, and means that I will never trust a Travelodge booking again. They said that they had tried to phone me 1 hour before we arrived to warn me, but there are no missed calls on my phone. It seems that they take people without bookings without saving rooms for guests who have bothered to reserve. So, I found this out having found the car park, unloaded luggage, and trailed the complicated route to the hotel! The manager told me that it was only a 15 minute drive to Aylesbury but, by the time we had trailed back to the car park, reloaded luggage, driven for 30 minutes, found an unknown hotel, unloaded again, it was 1 hour before checking in at Aylesbury. I'm now very tired and fed up with the Travelodge chain.

Room Tip: Good luck if you find a room at all!
2 Thank TCWorcester
West Kirby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night (sat) as good location for a wedding we were attending. Got the cheap rate of £29 which is excellent value.

Hotel is everything expected of travelodge brand. Good comfy room furnishings ultra basic but clean and tidy and perfectly adequate for what was required.

Car park is over road a little confusing to find and work around if unfamiliar with the town. Breakfast, while fine and filling was the usual low quality food with slightly chaotic system which often seems the case with this brand.

All in all a decent stay and would recommend especially at the price paid which is terrific value for money these days.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheFirrs
Oakham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Very good Travelodge and excellent value for money. Very large family rooms, spacious and comfortable. Polite and very helpful accommodating staff. A Travelodge to be proud of and would highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Jtyler2006
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Good quiet room, clean tidy and nothing to report that was wrong with this aspect. Poor parking facilities and a faff to find the car park without first going to the travelodge. Ridiculous fees for wifi so never used

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo

1 Thank neilneilneilneil
Hampshire
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I was pleasantly surprised with the new updated rooms at Travelodge. They were a lovely size, small but clean bathrooms and nice clean sheets to accompany a comfy bed and pillows. Stayed in room 231. I would have liked to have had some shampoo and conditioner shower sachets available instead of a all-in-one. Thank you for a nice stay, would certainly return :)

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Abbey Lodge Hotel
Abbey Lodge Hotel
#10 of 14 in High Wycombe
Hotel ibis budget Beaconsfield

Been to Travelodge High Wycombe Central? Share your experiences!