“"Great accommodation, great location"”

Cambridge City Tenison Towers
Ranked #72 of 126 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 October 2012

My family was here for some days and we had great time here. The rooms we had were nice and clean with comfortable beds and with en-suite bathroom. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. The BandB is in a great location, very close to the railway station and in about 15 min walking, you are in the city centre of Cambridge. Breakfast was excellent: a great variety and quality in the products offered. Everything in the rooms and bathroom worked perfectly. We would stay there again!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 October 2012

I paid £ 70 to use a double room as a single. Not a cheap price considering what I got. The room was supposed to have en-suite bathroom, but unfortunately this wasn't true: to get to the bathroom I had leave my room and walk through a shared corridor. Not even a key to lock my room's door. The flush of the lavatory was out of order. Believe it or not, when I told it to the landlady the following morning she dared to say "Everything works in my house"! This was outrageous. Cold room, broken tv. Avoid it if you can!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank stedall1970
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Looking for somewhere reasonable to stay just for 2 nights,within walking distance to this lovely city and close to the railway station we hit upon the Tenison Towers .
The reviews were pretty good and although there was a contradiction interms of the web site saying there were en suite facilities and yet the booking company saying facilities were shared, we decided to take the risk. On arrival we were given a warm welcome and told we had been upgraded. Tenison Towers consists of 3 separate houses . We had been upgraded to the owners house and had a beautifully furnished room with spotless bathroom with wc and separate shower for our own personal use. We had the use of the kitchen facilities next door for breakfast which was 'help yoursel'f to tea/coffee/ yogurt and toast- with some lovely jams . The kitchen was spotless like the rest of the house but because guests had cooked a meal the previous night there was a shortage of crockery and cutlery the next morning. Parking was £2.00 per day using a residents parking permit which, given the cost of parking in the city , was very reasonable , I was told we could not necessarily reserve the room we had been given on any subsequent visits but in the hope that the facilities in the other houses are of a similar standard we would certainly pay a return visit.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2012

very close to the station and not too far from the city centre ( walkable in about 15 min at a leisurely pace) Yummy muffins and a nice cooked breakfast every day, you can help yourself so it is always the right size. Juice and fresh tea and coffee avalaible. My room was very clean and had everything I needed, wi fi was available.... the best part though was the lovely and very friendly lady who cooked a wonderful breakfast and made me feel very welcome. keep up the good work

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 September 2012

I came upon reference to Tenison Towers in a guide book, and was not disappointed. The B & B is literally around the corner from the train station and is an easy walk into town. Their rates are quite good and my room was lovely. The breakfast options were plentiful and Frances and Inga were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I want to give this place better ratings, but there are several issues that prevent me from doing so. I stayed in a single room on the top floor of the guesthouse (I thought I was staying in the B & B) and I was under the impression that it included a cooked breakfast. It was only after my stay I noted on the website that only long term stays got this option and short -term stays have the other option; I though it might have been the other way around. And for the price I paid, I expected a lot more. The bedroom was an adequate size and comfortable, but it might have been nice to have tea and coffee facilities as it was a long way down to the kitchen. The instant coffee was truly dreadful, and only from a fellow guest did I discover there was percolated coffee. There was a small choice of cereals, toast and apparently there was yoghurt available but again you had to ask. We were asked to keep the kitchen clean, which I don't have any issues about, but the dishcloth was pretty dirty and there were no tea towels available. And finding clean cutlery was also an issue.The home-baked muffins were always a day old and a little dry and stale, so not as pleasant as I was anticipating.

I did not have any WiFi access, which I really would have liked, but trying to get hold of the owner was not always possible. One tip for this establishment would be to perhaps have a laminated sleeve with this and other relevant information. Also, there was no information or maps available about Cambridge which would have been nice to have too. The closeness of the accommodation to the train station is very helpful, but it is a long way from the city centre.

The only other thing I would have liked to be different would be the size of the bath towel; it was really small. On a positive note, good things about this place were the cleanliness of all areas, the manager was friendly and helpful, the surrounding and layout of the house was pleasant, and closeness to the station.

So would I recommend this place? Probably, but I think perhaps there are other better options available.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I stayed for 5 weeks in the guesthouse (not the B&B) while doing some academic work at one of the colleges. It was wonderful. Frances (the owner) was pleasant and helpful as was her assistant. The hospitality was great and the accommodations were very comfortable. The only limitation was that the oven did not work, but the range did and there was a microwave to use. It was literally a home away from home. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: There is a difference between the B&B and the Guesthouse. If you want to have kitchen facilities...