“70th Birthday meal”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 10 February 2019 via mobile

10 family members from Essex and Sheffield visited here for my 70th Birthday meal as we were staying nearby for the weekend, and we were so glad we did. We were made to feel very welcome by the staff especially the lovely waitress and the food was delicious. Pity we live so far away as we would love to visit more. A real gem, thankyou, you made my Birthday a real treat.

Reviewed 9 February 2019

I am lucky enough to be able to claim La Mimosa as my local Italian restaurant - and I've really fallen on my feet. This is a lovely place with a real family feel from Don and his team, who are always genuinely pleased to see you.

The restaurant is nicely arranged, with tables of all sizes, and they're far enough from each other that you can have a private conversation. (And the music is not intrusive - a failing in many other places.) There are real tablecloths, comfortable seats and good cutlery.

As for the food, last night our group had three of the specials and one old favourite, and they were all excellent - good, lean meat, excellent fish, and vegetables cooked perfectly.

You would go a long way to find a better restaurant for the money, and what a location - if you're ever in Cambridge, it's more than worth the five-minute walk along the river.

Reviewed 3 February 2019 via mobile

We came here as a group of six for a birthday celebration, but there were couples and larger groups in as well. It was our first visit so didn’t know what to expect. What we got was friendly service and great food. They really couldn’t do enough for us and really made us feel at home. The restaurant is bright, modern and spacious, set next to the river (I presume that you can dine outside in summer). It had a great buzz about it. Good menu and wine list.

It’s located just down the road from the Varsity hotel, so worth checking out if you are there

Reviewed 14 January 2019

A last minute booking, chosen for the closeness to our hotel. Greeted by a charming barman, who made us two perfect Camparis with fresh orange juice in no time, and soon taken to our table. The restaurant is very nicely set out so that each table seems quite private. The menu was well balanced and interesting, a mix of very traditional Italian dishes and a few more standard modern British. My Crostini starter was very fresh and tangy tomato flavour, my partner's black pudding topped with Goats cheese a delicious combination. My poached salmon with creamy wine sauce was perfectly cooked and my partners tagliatelle very tasty. The service was friendly, cheerful and precise. Altogether a surprisingly good dinner and enjoyable evening.

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed 13 January 2019

We had lunch here and it was all fantastic from the moment we arrived until we left! The food was absolutely delicious and the home made pasta was to die for! this coupled with excellent service delivered by Steph made this a superb experience. I would definitely recommend a visit to this "gem of a restaurant". We will certainly return to dine next time we are in Cambridge.

Date of visit: January 2019