“Always for a lunch”

Ranked #243 of 684 Restaurants in Cambridge
Price range: US$24 - US$40
Cuisines: British, Cafe, Contemporary
Good for: Cheap Eats, Kids, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Always for a lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

We go to CB2 every month or two for a simple yet tasty lunch. A no frills venue with a laid back atmosphere and tasty food at a reasonable price.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank 92NB_SB92

• Hungarian first
Asuncion, Paraguay
“Loved the place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

A quirky bistro/internet cafe type place. Loved the menu with interesting food and drinks including a nice selection of smoothies. Excellent value for money and friendly service. A great place to go to hangout/surf/work as long as you don't take it too seriously.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Charlie_Cosh
Lymm, United Kingdom
“A confused and confusing dining experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

I wasn’t entirely certain if I’d been to CB2 previously, though I was assured by one of our party that I had, a couple of years back. If it’s the case then I really didn’t recognise the place – it felt a little like a late night student eatery rather than a restaurant brasserie, an image that was further reinforced by a sea of small tables covered in green paper tablecloths. However, our party was merely looking to grab some non-fussy food to carry us through the rest of the night rather than chase down any fine dining experience. Which was a good thing in the end.

CB2 definitely has an identity crisis. I don’t mind places that serve simple food and do it well. I’ll happily eat somewhere that has a menu covering burgers, basic pastas, panini and wraps. That’s a café and I know what I’m getting there. But how these items sit on the same menu as “Duck with Cumberland port sauce, gratin dauphinoise” or “Mille Foglie cheese with anchovies and vegetable concasse” is anyone’s guess. And where you mix these things you get problems with pricing if nothing else; a tenner for a burger isn’t massively unusual these days, but when you are paying that you are expecting some kind of gourmet offering from a specialist burger restaurant rather than the more basic offering put forward here. But then again you can’t really charge very low amounts for burgers and wraps without making your other, more extravagant dishes look overpriced. It’s a bit of a mess.

I’d suggest to the CB2 management that they take a look at the wildly differing reviews here and take a bit of a step back. Are they a café or a restaurant? Do they want to offer simple, convenient food or a more high-end experience? Are they catering for your between-pubs diner, students or a more expectant audience? What is CB2 supposed to be?

Given that we were a table of four that doubled the customers on the night we ate there, they probably need to make some of those decisions while they still have a business to steer.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Sionel
Athens, Greece
“Ok - if you like sharing your dinner with flies”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Well, where to start, on arrival, it wasn’t clear if I was supposed to just take a seat, or order at the counter – I was just ignored by the staff milling around. So I asked at the counter and was told to take a seat. A short while later, someone came to give me a menu – and seemed bemused that I would want to order a drink off her.

I ordered a camembert starter - it arrived quickly – and whilst the camembert was edible – unfortunately, there was not enough crusty white baguette to go with it. The bread was crusty – more stale and very dry. Milanese Chicken and “spicy” chips for main. The chicken was half a chicken breast – so tiny in size, and the spicy chips were different. Dry – and overcooked in what I assume was the seasoning normally reserved for BBQ potato wedges out of a packet. At over 20quid for this and a small bottle of beer, it’s one of the pricier places I’ve been when comparing value.

Not pleasant. Add that to the open door and the numerous flies milling around above my head – there were too many to count - I won’t be going back.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank lac1983
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Good place to work”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

I found that there was a good atmosphere for getting work done with free wifi and plenty of drink selections. The food was not very good though, so I would recommend coming for the cafe vibe and not for a meal. I also ordered everything from the counter rather than waiting to be served because it seemed easier that way. That may say something about the service though.

I had a chicken kebab-style dish that had too much fat an gristle on the chicken pieces, and I would never order that again. I also had a salad with sardines that was decent.

I'll still come here for coffee when I'm back, but I will definitely seek out food elsewhere first.

Visited October 2013