“I wish I had read these reviews before booking. Disgraceful Place!!! AVOID!!!”

Abbeyfield Guest House
Ranked #103 of 126 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This has to be the worst "guesthouse" in the country. Surely they have to adere to some regulations?

Where to start? The propietor had a go at us because our flight was delayed and we didn't (ie: couldn't) contact him to let him know. The cleaning man was incredibly rude. The place looked like it was furnished from the house clearances of dead people and had the charm of Royston Vasey (VERY league of gentlemen)

The room we were in had a double bed and a single. The double bed was broken and the most uncomfortable thing to sleep in. I had a better nights sleep when I went camping and slept on the ground. He complained that we left late and was going to charge us an extra day. He should have been refunding us for the insulting and rude behaviour and the broken furniture he expected us to sleep in. We didn't risk using the "kitchen" area. The place was a total dump. He also complained that we used the single bed. NEVER EVER STAY AT THIS DOSS HOLE. SLEEP ON A PARK BENCH IT'LL BE MORE COMFORTABLE

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DublinBarb

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Where to start? This place is vile! We went out for the evening and delayed coming back as late as we possibly could as it was so grim.
The whole place was in need of a thorough deep clean and redecoration...oh and some new fittings and furniture wouldn't go amiss!
We were told that the "Flat screen TV" in our room was not working. On entering the room we discovered a 12" old style TV, on a bracket, approximately 6ft high on the wall with the flex and plug hanging down.The kettle was filthy (lid was all brown instead of white). The sink was grimy, with what was meant to be a cupboard beneath (this was minus the doors, and full of black damp stains!). There was a used bar of soap in the bedside drawer along with an empty tissue packet!!! The skirting boards were thick with dust and grime- in fact the only clean thing in the room was the bedding.
The bathrooms were disgusting- both of them! There was black gunk and general grime in the bottom of the bath, the sinks were grimy to say the least and the hand towel had what looked like black oil someone had wiped onto it. Someone had also scrawled a notice to guests directly onto the wall with marker pen. Even the light switches were dirty in this place. Oh.... and well the shower, I could not bring myself to use it ( as it was over the aforementioned bath!)

Should also say that I am just about to phone the bank after reading the last person`s post!!!

The noise at night was horrendous, with people stomping about, shouting and loud bumps and bangs on the floor above us!

DEFINITELY NOT to be recommended, even to your worst enemy!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Jackie K
Reviewed 10 July 2013

My friend and i decided to stay at the abbey field guest house so we could have a nice visit to cambridge city centre during the evening. when we arrived there was no one to greet us i rang the bell many times no one answered the door so we decided to ring the telephone number displayed at the front of the house. i was waiting 40minutes overall for someone to turn up and let us in. when a women arrived she did not speak much english so commuication was difficult. she asked for us to pay in cash which was odd as i filled my bank details online before. we arrived we got told the room number of where we should stay and the women left straight after. we had two single beds one was broken so in the end we had to share one single bed. the toilets didnt flush! Their was one shower in the hole house which was very poor working. the house was not that clean at all.. two baths in the house which were dirty! We paid £60 no breakfast included. poor standards through out deeply dissapointed and would never return!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank shonaj3
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I realise that we only paid £22 each to stay at Abbeyfield but I fully believe that wherever you pay to stay you should expect a clean bathroom. I hadnt realised until we arrived that no rooms were unsuite and there were two communal bathrooms. Neither bathroom looked like it has EVER been cleaned. Full of bugs, mould, scum in plug holes, toilets filthy.

The bedrooms had black mould growing up all walls. George was quoted to say 'you have running water in each room' however in one of the rooms the taps didnt even work! The kettle was absolutely disgusting.

The list of rankness is never ending, however the only positive point I can think of is that the beds were clean. Very rickety and super thin mattresses but clean at least.

Would never ever pay to stay at this shocking dump ever again!

DONT STAY HERE!!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Natalie H
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I recently had the misfortune of spending the night in this establishment, the level of filth and state of disrepair was ridiculous. There were 7 of us so we had 2 rooms. The first room didn't even have a shade around the lights, the second had a sink yet no running water and in both rooms the carpets were torn and rucked up, the Walls were covered in dirt and stains with paint peeling off the Walls. The bathrooms and toilets were communal for the whole house and disgustingly dirty. the toilet had not been cleaned since I don't know when, there was excrement dried all around the bowl, and everything was dirty and dusty. The bathroom was so bad that not 1 of our party would actually shower there, there was grime around the bath, the plug was full of gloopy glump and hair and when the shower was turned on the water came out of where the hose attached rather than the shower head. The place should be shut down, the only slightly positive thing I can say is the bed linen was clean, everything else about the stay was horrendous, stay here at your own risk!!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Loopdyloo
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I booked a nights stay direct from the Abbeyfield.com website a few weeks before I stayed there.

I used my credit card to secure the booking. A few days after our stay I received a txt saying my flights to Dubai had been booked and I would be flying the next day. My bank called later that day and explained someone had tried to spend thousands of pounds on my card on flights, hotel comparison websites and at another guest house in Cambridge!

George the owner only excepts cash and I hadn't used my card in months before or after I had made the secure booking .. I was confused and wondered if maybe someone had taken my card on the night out and got my phone number aswell?

It turns out the other charge from the other cambridge hotel is also owned By George. He denies any knowledge of this charge and couldn't explain why or what had happened... I'm yet to hear back from him...

This guy is clearly a criminal and I have passed on all his details to the police and the Fraud department of my credit card company. Luckily for me all my funds have been refunded by my bank and I'm glad I didn't use my debit card to secure the booking.

How this man is still in business let alone not in prison is beyond me. SCUM

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Paul H
Reviewed 19 June 2013

George the owner is one of the shiftiest characters I have ever met. His very poor English does not help either and he sounds like a member of the Mafia.

The place we stayed in was a complete disgrace and should be condemned. It is filthy , the bed we attempted to sleep in was broken. The so called kitchen was a poor joke. The inside of the microwave had not been cleaned since the date of purchase in the last centuary. The toilet and baths are totally inadequate for the size of the dump. George is only there to grab the money and run and is never seen.The carpets are old, smelly and like strands of poorly laid string. The garden is overgrown . There were no bedside lights in our room. A pigsty would feel insulted.

NEVER NEVER NEVER go near.

Room Tip: you must be a masochist to even consider the place