“Delicious! But only if you want to eat as the Chinese do.”
Review of Sesame Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

Sesame Restaurant & Bar
Price range: US$9 - US$26
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Singapore, Singapore
“Delicious! But only if you want to eat as the Chinese do.”
Reviewed 20 March 2012

If you want authentic northern Chinese food, then this is the place to go. My friends recommended it so I tried it out late last year. I have since eaten there 3 times and I think the food is really good! The decor on the main level is pleasing and bright (I have never been downstairs). The staff are quite nice: once I arrived 15 minutes before they opened, but was still invited in to wait out of the cold. The lady in charge looks stern but is actually quite friendly and will recommend the good stuff. The chef is a pro from China - it says so on the wall.

However, the only menus I saw were entirely in Chinese (maybe because I am Chinese. Hopefully they have menus in English for non-Chinese). Although there was a photograph for each dish listed, the photos were probably copied from the internet and the actual product didn't always look identical. However, the dishes are bona fide Chinese, which may not be to everybody's taste. Probably not a problem since almost all the diners I saw were oriental. Many of the dishes are spicy/chilli hot.

If you are brave, then ask for the special Fragrant Pot (Xiang Wo). It's a pot of spicy chilli soup in which all sorts of vegetables and meat simmer. It's like a prepared hot pot. As it was the Lunar New Year, the chef threw in slices of the new year cake (nian kao) which was nice of him but it didn't quite work, in my opinion. It costs 45 GBP, but can feed 10. But it is Hot!

I would recommend this place to my friends.

• Visited January 2012