“Good value for money in Cambridge”

and 1 more site!
Alder Lodge Guest House
Ranked #34 of 122 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“Good value for money in Cambridge”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

A small room but very clean. The shower is pretty average with low water pressure but everything else was just fine. The owners are very helpful but not in your face. Breakfast in the morning was good and they even let us park the car for the day to go into Cambridge. It was about 20 mins by bus to Cambridge but still a good location to base yourself. The bus storms just across the road.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

Provided all that I was looking for in an overnight crashpad to break a long journey: clean, safe, comfortable, warm welcome. "Tiny" room exactly as advertised but it met my needs and was very good value.

• Stayed September 2013
Farnborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

As a visiting chauffeur I just wanted a simple and inexpensive overnight stay in Cambridge as I had to bring a customer up from Heathrow and then to pick them up at 10.00 the next morning to return to the airport. Primary target was to save on fuel and time (by staying overnight) rather than luxury or comfort. I booked the "small" single room no 5 and did not expect too much given the price. However everything about Alder Lodge exceeded my expectations. Its a converted domestic house with parking in front. Friendly welcome despite arriving late and then given a door key and directions to the pub only 10 mins away. (Pub Kitchens shut before 22.00 but great Kebab Van over the road). Despite being small the room had everything. TV, Kettle,Tea/Coffee, Toiletries, Sink, WiFi, bedside light, towels, and hooks on the door as the room too small for any wardrobes etc., Also everything was very clean, and bed linen seemed new and again very clean.

As the room is too small for ensuite facilities you get your own shower room/toilet downstairs which no one else uses so no queuing issues. It's next door to the breakfast area so dress appropriately in dressing gown or the like.

Breakfast in the morning was very reasonably priced and had everything you could want. Cereals, Orange Juice, Full cooked breakfast with options, (I had eggs, sausages, bacon, beans) tea/coffee and toast/jams/butter etc., The service was attentive and friendly.

So in summary if I was to design a quality B&B with all the options I would base it on Alder Lodge and cannot think of anything I would add. Hence the title. "Nothing missing". Thanks Alder Lodge.

Room Tip: If you are on your own and want value rather than anything else Room 5 is small but perfect.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Northallerton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

What a lovely B & B very pleasant the, Owners are friendly and helpful, the whole place is really clean nice breakfast loads to eat room nice and big well worth the money close to Cambridge good bus route good parking will be going back

• Stayed August 2013
Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

We stayed at this B&B for 2 nights and were more than pleased with our choice. It is easy to get to and there is parking on the front. We were greeted and shown our room, a twin bedded with en-suite. The beds were comfortable, there was tea and coffee facilities and a fan which was welcome as it was so warm. Breakfast was in a lovely dining room and the actual breakfast was very good, We weren't rushed which was nice. It is a couple of miles outside of Cambridge but we walked in, took just under an hour. We caught the bus back and this stopped opposite the B&B. In all a very nice B&B and lovely owners, have already recommended it to some family and friends.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Blackpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

I don't know why I have been paying full hotel prices and ignoring B&B's. For £40 I got a pleasant clean room, comfortable bed with en-suite. TV, coffee & Tea making and a fan. Breakfast consisting of Orange Juice, cerial , full english plus toast & catetiere of coffee was a bargain £5 !! Thoroughly enjoyed my stay, very convenient for the bus into Cambridge City Centre, what more could I need.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Gloucester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

We choose to stay here because it seemed like good value for money. We paid £50 a night for two people. The property is a little dated and the rooms could do with some updating as well, however for the price of the stay I guess you can't grumble. The bathroom had all you needed, including complimentary toiletries, however as mentioned below the shower is very weak and quite small (not good when you're both around 6ft tall), althoug everything was very clean. There was a tiny tv in the room and some furniture which looked like it had had better days! There were coffee/tea making facilities as well. The only weird thing was we had asked for a double room but like everywhere it was two single beds put together, however the first night my boyfriend complained he had a really bad nights sleep where as i slept really well. It wasn't until i led on his side that i realised why, my bed was very comfortable with a nice soft matress whereas the side my boyfriend was sleeping on was awful, really hard and lumpy matress! Not what you expect! We didn't have breakfast as it was £10 extra per person and we felt we could probably find something nicer in Cambridge itself. There is a bus stop just outside the B and B which is really handy you can get quite a cheap dayrider ticket and it takes about 20 minuts on the bus to get into the centre. The B and B itself is easy to find as well and not too far off the motorway. The only thing i would say really let the B and B down which in my opinion is one of the most important things is service! Upon arrival we didn't feel welcomed at all, wasn't asked how we were, or how our journey was or where we had come from, why we were here, just small things but makes for nice conversation! We were shown up to our room and not really told anything else, not what time check out was or how to get into Cambridge or whats really good to do! On check out as well i had recived a confirmation email saying that half the price would be taken from my account so i was expecting to pay £50 whereas she hadn't actually charged my card so the full amount was left to pay- when i asked if i could see confirmation of this the lady didn;t have any of the paper work to hand or anything to say it hadn't come out of my account so i had to double check this myself before we paid for anything. Slight hassle and could have ended badly for her and the card i actually made the booking on had been cancelled! Think there are probably better places you could stay where you would be welcomed more! They don't seem to care about their guests.

Room Tip: Not room 4
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple