“Very Disappointing!”

Ranked #34 of 122 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Very Disappointing!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

I was on the brink of booking a Premier Inn until I came across the Alder Lodge Guest House on Tripadvisor. With such good reviews and a reasonable price I thought it would be worth it. I was wrong.

We arrived and were shown to our room. Thats was it, no friendly chat which you come to expect from owners in B&Bs but that wasn't really an issue. Our room was very small and basic and we were expecting a little more from the 4 and 5 star reviews we had seen on Tripadvisor. It was clean, the wifi worked well and it less than a 5 min drive to the centre of Cambridge. Based on this alone we would have given it 3 stars. But then darkness fell and we tried to sleep.

We were in a front room of the house closest to the main road outside. Even though the windows looked as though they were double glazed we could hear every single car, scooter and bus that came past. The gravel on the front doesn't help either as we were woken by someone returning late at night. My wife said she barely slept because as soon as the traffic died the birds came out and then the sun came up, the curtains did very little to block the light.

Thankfully we needed to be up early anyway - no chance of a lie in with the sunshine streaming through. My wife had to go without washing her hair as the shower was so weak. I had to wet my hair in the sink it was that bad and I only have short hair. We couldn't wait to check out and wished we had paid the extra 10 pounds and stayed in a Premier Inn. Maybe we got the worst room but based on this experience we will not be returning nor recommending this to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richard B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Weymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

This little guest house is hands down one of the best I have stayed in. The owners Chris and Charlotte were very welcoming and cook up an impressive breakfast for only a small £5 fee; well worth it as you have access to cereals, fruit, juice as well as a huge cooked meal too!
We also loved the room we were in. We were travelling with our 4 day old baby (yes a little crazy I know) and the room was spacious enough to make it comfortable. In fact the bed was so big it almost had its own horizon!
Highly recommend this place for a very nice stay with a very nice couple who we could have chatted to for ages if we didn't have to leave. But as the title says, we liked it so much we stayed an extra day as it was so relaxing.... and so cheap!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank derryclimbs
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

I picked Alder Lodge because it was the cheapest I could find.
As I was going up to Cambridge on business, I just needed somewhere to crash out, and I was not expecting much for what I was paying. Usually you get what you pay for. Alder Lodge was the exception to the rule. I was four hours late and I still got a lovely warm welcome. My room was lovely and spotlessly clean. It was nice and warm and cosy, it was easy to park outside and I had a superb breakfast.
If I had to be really picky and was forced to find a fault, I would say the gravel outside is a little noisy!!! Only kidding, this place is great, Hosts were lovely too.
A real bargain!

Room Tip: I had room 1, Nice comfy bed and a large wardrobe.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank CasandandyWales
Toowoomba, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

I stayed at Alder Lodge for several long stays last year, and it was a wonderful place to stay. The owners were lovely, the room clean and well cared for, and the general atmosphere very good. The room was not huge, but the space was well used. It is some distance from the city centre, but the bus service is very good and frequent.
I would recommend Alder Lodge to anyone staying in Cambridge who wanted good value for money.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SIO88
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

I was really delighted with every aspect of the Alder Lodge. The owners were very friendly and helpful. The room wasn't huge, but it was nicely decorated and impeccably clean with a comfortable bed. As other people have mentioned, the water pressure in the shower wasn't brilliant but I think that's fair enough and it was a great bonus to have an ensuite bathroom at all. It's well-located for the centre of town (I got a taxi in for around £10) and for the price I really think it's a fantastic deal. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Alex M
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

Having wanted a budget stay within easy reach of the city centre, with an en-suite bathroom as a must my expectations were quickly exceeded. Off-street parking, a great welcome, a huge bed in a warm room, tea & coffee making facilities and supplies (including biscuits - which many similar priced hotels have dispensed with!), complimentary toiletries, flat screen TV and modern and clean furniture including desk all made for a fantastic first impression! Then after a great first night's sleep I had a very, very good breakfast!! Really good choice, cooked perfectly and served with a friendly and prompt style! Make sure you try the bacon...!! There is nothing I would have wanted differently and I was glad I had 4 nights there! I would book there again without hesitation if visiting Cambridge again! Thanks guys - it was spot on!!! David

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank David503790
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

We stayed for one night in November, arriving later than expected, and Chris and Charlotte kindly left us a note and our keys to let ourselves in. The room was a decent size with a gigantic bed that we made the most of! Everything was clean and well maintained and felt like very good value for the price we paid.

The B&B is slightly outside the city centre (around 2-3 miles) but there is a bus (Citi 1) that runs to the centre every ten minutes from across the road so location didn't hinder exploring the area. If you hop on the A bus you can also spend a little time on the internationally famous guided bus route when travelling back to the lodge from town.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple