“Won't be going back again”
Review of The Green Man

The Green Man
Ranked #393 of 714 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I do feel sorry for the kitchen staff, who actually do a really good job. However, I have to say that after my last review a month ago, where I said that the biggest problem with the Green Man was that it's variable and that service can be pretty poor, I really won't be going back after my visit last week. The food was still pretty good and there is a nice variety of choices on the menu, but I'm sorry to say that the front of house staff just really let the place down. And, yes, I had to laugh when I read some of the other reviews on here: I also noticed that the servers repeatedly kept referring to us 'guys', which can be pretty irritating. (Makes me wonder if it was the same waiter!)

3  Thank Sam J
Green_Man_Cambs, General Manager at The Green Man, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear guest,

I am sorry to read you will not be returning again. I hope on reflection you would change your mind as we offer a whole experience every time a guest visits us and we continually act on all feedback to continually improve.

It appears that customer service was an issue for you that ruined your dining experience and this has been taken up with the team and further training has been given to improve this. We take your feedback very seriously and we aim to tick every box on the eating out experience.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your meal with us and we have passed all the comments onto our chef so that the kitchen are aware of how much you enjoyed your meal.

We hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

The Green Man is one of the most inconsistent places I have ever been to. I have had some great food and service there (maybe about 8 months or so ago), but right now it's really gone downhill again. Have to agree with what somebody else said: "Customers not welcome!" Went there last week and the place was pretty much empty, still the waiter wanted to squeeze us onto the smallest table possible. We asked if we could have a different table, to which he said yes, but then promptly disappeared as we sat down. Never saw him again, by the way, must have been the end of his shift. Two minutes later a rather indignant member of staff (I think she outranks the others, she may be some sort of manager) came over querying why we hadn't waited to be seated - well, we had, but our waiter had disappeared after we sat down. Food was very average and the drinks took so long to arrive that we had pretty much finished the course before the drinks arrived. And one final thing, it's one of our biggest gripes, although I'm aware that it's not only this restaurant that does it: it really, really, really winds my wife up when waiters call you 'guys'.

2  Thank JamesBexx

Dear guest,

I would like to apologise on behalf of any one who made your dining experience disappointing. Any issues you raised have now been taken up with the team and addressed so that they can be rectified.

Food, drink and service are the elements that make our business run. We continually look to refresh the team with training and the tools to improve what we do.

I hope that you will return in the future.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Went for Sunday lunch. Food was lovely especially the treacle tart! But the service was quite awful. There are 3 people there who actually treat customers properly and the rest treat you like an inconvenience. One chap even went so far as to be downright rude.

Have been there for drinks before and also had bad service. My friend and I ordered ice cream to share, but when it arrived and was thumped down on the table there was only one spoon. The waitress actually 'humph'ed when I asked for a second spoon.

Need to get their act together as the food is worth returning for but not if one is made to feel guilty for existing.

1  Thank sadie100

Dear guest,

Firstly I would like to apologise if you feel you were treated in this way. We most certainly do not tolerate rudeness from our team. I have fed these comments back to the team and this issue has been addressed.

We offer a whole experience every time a guest visits us and we act on feedback to continually improve.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

This is normally ok but this time was poor. Steak and ale pie contained 2 pieces of steak three carrots and a small onion with loads of gravy . Also my mum's fried fish had practically no fish in the middle.

Very poor seeing as I had driven 50 miles to join my family for a graduation dinner. Wont be going back. (also waiters taking plates before you have finished. Not good).

Green_Man_Cambs, General Manager at The Green Man, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear Guest

On behalf of my team at the Green Man, I am deeply sorry that this time your visit to us was not up to standard.

Your comments have been passed onto the Head Chef and we are currently rectifying these issues.

We are hospitality and our aim is to please everybody that comes through our business. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Kind Regards.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Having been a couple of times before, which were both enjoyable, this time was very disappointing and the quality of the food was poor. I chose the lemon and garlic half a chicken which i barely got any meat off at all with the rest being fat and gristle and a portion of over cooked chips. The chicken was bland and tasted of nothing. My Husband orderd the 'home made' british burger, which was such a let down.
All in all, a total waste of money and evening!

1  Thank emilyduf
Green_Man_Cambs, General Manager at The Green Man, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear guest,

We appreciate your feedback as this is very important to us. We really want to get everything perfect for our guests. We are hospitality and we really aim for the best we can be within our local area.