“Better service would improve rating”
Review of The Green Man

The Green Man
Ranked #379 of 689 Restaurants in Cambridge
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Better service would improve rating”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We were a group of five adults and a baby heading for lunch in a lazy bank holiday. The pub is divided in a restaurant area and the indoor/outdoor pub tables. As soon as we arrived to the restaurant the host asked if we had made reservations. As this was not the case he rushed to say this was a very busy day and could not accommodate this. I guess most people would simply leave and find another place but as I noticed many available tables in the pub area I asked if they served food there and the host nodded. The menu offered a good range of options, to which my partner confirmed that many were the same offered in the restaurant. So, the discouraging host almost lost five clients instead of offering alternatives. One of the dishes - a mixed beef platter - came with a missing beef. Overall it could have been a decent experience, but there is much to improve in the service.

• Visited April 2014
Green_Man_Cambs, General Manager at The Green Man, responded to this review, 9 September 2014
Dear guest,

We are very sorry you had a bad experience upon your visit to us on bank holiday Monday. We do advise booking on busy periods such as bank holidays to avoid disappointment and to guarantee a table.

Your feedback is very important to us and your comments have been picked up on with the chef and front of house staff so that any issues can be improved on.

We hope to see you again in the future.

“Much Improved Food”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Had a lovely meal at The Green Man! Having visited this pub a few months ago and had a less than satisfactory meal I was dubious about trying the food again, but they have revamped the menu and I have to say the food delicious. I wrote a review a few months ago to say how terrible it was and how it had gone downhill and I thought it was only right to write a review on how much it has improved in the last few months. If you fancy a relaxed atmosphere with gastro-pub food then give it a go, you won't be disappointed! The cocktails are pretty good too!

2 Thank ABC4848
Dear guest,

I apologise if you had a bad experience previously when you visited us here at The Green Man.

I would like to thank you for giving us another chance and writing a new review. I am very pleased you enjoyed our new menu and hope you will be back soon to sample some of our other new dishes.

All feedback is very important to us so that we can see what areas of our business need improvement.
Homewood, Alabama
“Good Food, Good Service”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I was in Cambridge on business, and The Green Man was a short walk from the place where I was staying. They offer two areas, a pub side and a restaurant side.
The pub side seems to be in the traditional style set in the older part of the building. Several Green King ales were on the pulls, and the staff was knowledgeable in the styles of beer they were serving. Being a big American Craft Beer fan, it was fun to talk to the bar staff about the styles of been Green King brewed and what was available in the States.
The restaurant side of the establishment featured a rustic/modern vibe quite different from the pub side. I was quite surprised at the style of food offered. I had expected typical pub food, but I found that it was a full service restaurant. I had a lamb dish that was excellent.
The wait staff was prompt, and very helpful.

Dear guest,

Thank you for your delightful feedback.

Our drinks selection has been chosen with care to compliment our menu and our environment. We serve a selection of premium ales and lagers and a varied choice of bottled beers that are noted for excellence and quality.

We are in fact owned by Mitchell and Butlers and we are not a Greene King run business even though people occasionally get confused because of our name being "The Green Man".

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Cambridge
“Won't bother again”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Popped in here a few weeks ago for a bite to eat at lunchtime with a friend.
I had eaten here before, though not in past few months.
When we arrived there appeared to be a few diners, lots of spare seats but few members of staff.
My friend and I ordered a snack type lunch and drinks.
This seemed to take an age to arrive, sadly when it did, we wished we had'nt bothered.
The mozzarella was barely visible and the salad had seen better days, this £6.95 was simply unacceptable in my books!
When I made a complaint a replacement was offered, but we chose to decline and eat elsewhere
Granted we did not have to pay for drinks.
Maybe this was just an "off day " ,lets hope things improve in the future.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank itchyfeetCambridge
Green_Man_Cambs, General Manager at The Green Man, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear guest,

I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that was caused from your recent visit.

All feedback is very important to us giving us the chance to constantly improve and any issues from your visit have been taken care of and picked up with the team and the head chef.

We hope that this experience will not put you off visiting us again and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Menu is shared with the Plough in Fen Ditton both are great places for a sunday roast with family or friends.

Simon

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

We hope to see you again in the near future.