“A Cambridge Classic...”

Galleria Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Galleria Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 713 Restaurants in Cambridge
Price range: US$13 - US$33
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Galleria restaurant in Cambridge has the most brilliant location at the foot of Magdalene Bridge beside the River Cam, just in one of the deepest parts where the punters come unstuck. With a pair of terraces beside the river, diners have a ringside seat not only for the punting circus, but also for the pleasure of one of England’s loveliest views. This three-level continental restaurant is light and airy, romantic and pleasant, with wrought-iron balconies, ferns, French prints, bistro-style seating. Signature dish is poached fillets of monkfish in lemongrass with sweet red chilli cream sauce and tiger prawns with leeks and mushrooms served with rice. The very reasonable wines tend to favour Old World vineyards.
Reviewed 27 August 2013

My husband and I decided to celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary here having visited 3 times previously and having always enjoyed the food and experience.

A slight niggle would be that the best tables in the house (at least on a warm day!) - the outside balcony areas - cannot be booked in advance so for special occasions it is a little inconvenient that you cannot be guaranteed an outside seat upon arrival though as it turns out, we arrived early and were seated outside immediately.

All the staff were really friendly and helpful and the food was as good as always. The starters, particulary my Moules Marineiere, were out of this world and the mains were full of flavour. I have just read the previous couple of reviews regarding overcooked chicken and my husband and I both had chicken for main course and have to say it was anything but - I thought how juicy and tender both our dishes were and well presented as always (Take a peek at the photos I have uploaded)

In addition I felt the meal was good value at £48 for 2 courses each, 3 soft drinks, 1 cocktail and 2 coffees.

Would not hestitate to recommend but arrive early for outside seating to enjoy dinner watching all the punters cruising (and crashing) along the Cam.

Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

The riverside views with your meal really make the evening with this restaurant but possibly the chefs are over stretching themselves. Having been asked how I wanted my tuna steak cooked, it would be nice if it was done in that way! My partners' duck was a bit overcooked as well.

But the great service, reasonable prices and comedy show on the river definitely made up for any slight let downs.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

This is the kind of food that your unskilled grandmother would cook if all of a sudden she decided to cook "simple contemporary food". The food was flavourless and overcooked, it wouldn't surprise me if they took the chicken from the deep freeze, and then cook it beyond the point of return to make sure it reaches food safety standards. The desserts were really mediocre.

If I were, I'd save your money and go somewhere better.

1  Thank Buyun
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Went back to the Galleria Restaurant, having not had a great experience the previous year but wanting to give it another change. The food is just okay. I had the chicken salad and the chicken was overcooked to the point of being tough. the salad greens were fine. I think I'll pass on this one if I'm ever in Cambridge again. There are better restaurants available.
On the plus side, it is nice to sit by the water and watch the punters go by.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

The only downside to our meal here was that when I booked, I asked for and was promised a riverside table. When we arrived however, a surly girl told us that we couldn't have done this as they don't book the riverside tables in advance. She then tried to show us to a not very well positioned table. We were rescued by an older and more experienced waitress who apologised profusely and took us to a better table with a river view - and the offer to move outside once a table was free. We didn't move in the end and were glad that we didn't because it rained. Our new waitress was charming, helpful and both the food and service from that point onward were superb. The salmon mousse starter was very good, we had duck breast, and chicken breast with lemon and herbs - both good sized portions, cooked well and nicely presented. The chocolate mousse for pudding was extremely good. Try the elderflower martini - it packs a punch. Highly recommended.