“Still as good as ever!”
Review of Castle Inn

Castle Inn
Ranked #169 of 732 Restaurants in Cambridge
Price range: US$7 - US$14
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I have been to this very good traditional pub countless times since my last review in Dec 2011 and I stand by everything I said. It's a real pub, with real beer (Adnams) and a good selection of wines and spirits. Good home-cooked food, both English and more exotic. Nice courtyard at the back.Quieter spaces upstairs. But do remember it's a pub. not a luxury restaurant! It's popular, so you may have to wait to be served. It's not haute cuisine but the food is honest and decent. No music. No TV. Perfect for conversation.

1  Thank Nikos051

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This typical pub is very crowded of students in the Friday evening but we enjoyed however the dinner; we ordered a classic brew battered fish and chips and one special hamburger with onion rings and two draft beers. Everything was fine!

2  Thank iqipen
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We like the Castle. We've been there a few times and like the ales and wines. It's got a good outside area.
BUT - a few weeks ago we went there to eat. But we couldn't get served. One member of staff trying to serve a pub full of customers. No urgency. Staff doing their best not to make any eye contact with a roomful of irritated people.So we left.
We tried it again last night - thinking all pubs can have odd days. But exactly the same thing happened. It was busy but not packed, yet there wasn't enough staff. And no apparent interest in serving or dealing with queuing customers.So we left again.
And we won't be going back until we hear about a change in management. We like Adnams pubs and Adnams beers, but this is not a place that the company would be proud of.

2  Thank Martin D
Mathalsey, Owner at Castle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

We do care, but sometimes we get snowed under. Would you mind telling me what day it was that you came in? We always have 3 members of staff on during food service times. A lot of the time they don't have a great deal to do.
My business rates have tripled over the last few years if you can get them reduced to a sensible level for me I will buy you 10 pints and spend more on staffing the pub.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

If I could give a zero, I would for this establishment. So I will give it a score of one as the food was rather nice, with a good range of vegetarian food and alcohol.

If you ever want to book/hire this place for a special event - take my advice - forget it!

I came here earlier in the week as a guest of my friend's wedding and the upstairs room was booked for after the wedding ceremony. It was a relentlessly rainy day and we abandoned the plan to take pictures at the castle mound and just went to the pub 15 minutes earlier than scheduled. We knocked at the door and said that although we appreciate that they were closed, but could we come in out of the rain. The gormless staff said no because they 'had not finished getting all of the chairs down'; despite further interjections from the groom they preferred to leave the wedding party standing outside in the pouring rain. The poor bride was soaking wet.

We stood outside for about 10 minutes until somebody in the party has seen a shelter in their garden that we could all stand under. Staff should have offered the shelter in the first place, AT THE VERY LEAST. Instead, they let the bride and groom get soaked.

If that was not bad enough, we made our own way to the room with NO service or explanation from the staff - and then, part way though our hire, customers were allowed into our area - apparently there are 2 rooms upstairs not one!

Oh and the toilets - no baby changing facilities and there was a horrific smell coming from the gents. It smelled as though it has not been cleaned in some time, despite the pub only just being opened.

Bless the bride and groom, who were determined to have a good day, but for us we were extremely disappointed for them and the way they were treated by the staff members.

I would not go there again and would highly recommend others to do the same.

3  Thank Michelle B
Mathalsey, Owner at Castle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

I am sorry that your visit to The Castle was less than satisfactory, however there are a few things that I would like to point out. The booking was made over the phone and I was asked to save tables for 20-25 people upstairs from 11.30. There was never any mention of it being a wedding party and had I known would have been there to make sure everything ran smoothly. I have spoken to the person who made the booking and he told me that he was happy with everything apart from being left outside in the rain. He had never visited the pub to discuss anything with me before the day of his wedding. The room was not hired I simply saved some tables for what I thought was a normal lunchtime booking.

Baby changing facilties? It is a pub, not a creche . Did the person booking ask if we had baby changing facilities?

Reviewed 16 February 2014

This pub offers a really good selection of ales and has good quality wines by the glass. There was a nice atmosphere to the place when I was there on a Saturday afternoon. They have food available and it looked very nice.

1  Thank pboropixie