“Lovely food, good value”
Review of R17 - CLOSED

R17
Price range: US$15 - US$25
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Enjoyed a wonderful 3 course meal from a fixed price menu with limited but sufficient choice. Surroundings were comfortable and, although the restaurant was not full there were plenty of other customers without being noisy. The staff were attentive but not intrusive. Would definitely eat here again and recommend to other people.

1  Thank the0ldduke

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Six of us dined on Good Friday evening at R17 which is part of The University Arms Hotel. The menu is limited but good value and one can choose between two or three courses. The service was friendly and enthusiastic but a little slow. The duck main course was good. Several of us had the coconut and mango sweet but none of us could taste the coconut layer and the mango flavour was very weak. We were served with free tap water but sent it back as it was tepid but quickly replaced with chilled water. We ordered extra vegetables but had to start eating our cooling mains long before the vegetables arrived. The staff apologised for the delay and without prompting offered us free coffee or tea. We drank the recommended red wine which was good but a little expensive at £23 per bottle. Pre-dinner drinks which we enjoyed in the separate Parker's Bar were also pricey.

Worth a try but although the staff were trying hard to please and very pleasant they slipped up over a couple of matters.

When I contacted the hotel to book a party of six I was informed that it was their standard practice to require a non-returnable deposit of £10 per head for groups of more than four. I was not happy with this and eventually they agreed to accept 2 bookings in different names for 3 persons but to be seated at the same table! The restaurant is poorly patronised in an otherwise very busy dining street but as access is through the hotel many potential customers may not realise that it is open to non-residents and the name of R17 (sounds more like an airship) is far from memorable when there are so many other famous names connected with Cambridge available.

2  Thank williamro
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Why why do hotels try and run restaurants they try to be all things and they can't hotel guests and restaurant diners are two different clients and it's a shame the staff are lovely attentive and I can't praise them enough but the food overrated flavours that don't gel my advice stop trying to hard its a shame !

1  Thank norman b
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I had a 2 course meal here with my partner on 29/03/14. He had the salmon to start which was delicious and I had mushroom and poached egg on toast which I was very happy with. His steak main looked perfect and my mullet main was gorgeous, loved the champagne sauce! The service was very good as they met your needs whilst also leaving you to it and not pestering it. We had the recommended white wine which I wish I could remember the name of as that again was great!

1  Thank jennjob
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I am so pleased to have found R17. I have eaten in several places in Cambridge but have often found them to be either overpriced or slightly disappointing. That's why it's so nice to have discovered R17. The food here is amazing and certainly worth every penny (if not more). I had the ham hock terrine to start with and my husband had a mushroom soup. We were both very pleased with our choices. For our main course we had the steak which was cooked to perfection and served with a delicious peppercorn sauce and triple cooked chips (very enjoyable). The service was great and the staff were really attentive so it's definitely a place that we look forward to returning to. A big thank you to everyone at R17 for a fabulous evening!

2  Thank Helen N