“Best steak in Britain”

River Bar Steakhouse & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
River Bar Steakhouse & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 689 Restaurants in Cambridge
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Grill, British
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, View, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The River Bar Steakhouse and Grill, with its cavernous loft-like vibe, quayside location and creative crowd, has become one of Cambridge's premier restaurants. Located close to the bustling town centre, in a riverside spot opposite Magdalene College, The River Bar Steakhouse and Grill is a popular choice for special occasion dining and drinks. The Grill serves the very finest prime cuts of beef, aged for 28 days and sourced from local farms. The menu includes a large selection of cuts, from a classic porterhouse to a tender fillet or indulgent chateaubriand for two. Burgers meanwhile are freshly made on the premises and marinated chicken and fresh fish come straight from the signature grill too. Though based around the steak, The River Bar Steakhouse and Grill caters superbly for vegetarians, serves sublime desserts and prior to your meal we heartily recommend enjoying hand mixed cocktails in the bar, the ideal start to any special evening.
“Best steak in Britain”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My boyfriend took me to River Bar for my birthday on Saturday (01/08/14) and it was exceptional. We had not booked a table so thought we might just have to have a cocktail and settle for one of the many chain restaurants in Cambridge for dinner however, the hostess at the door was wonderful and fit us in despite it being a busy Saturday night. We had three courses; baked Camembert to start, followed by chateaubriand (cooked to perfection) and chocolate brownie. Each course was absolutely delicious and we could not have asked for more. Although it is not 'cheap', the food is without a doubt worth it and the service was absolutely exceptional with the waiter (Fausto) able to talk confidently about the wide range of food and drink on offer. To any one visiting Cambridge: venture away from the chains, pay a little bit extra for a lovely setting and atmosphere, outstanding service and the best steak I have had in Britain!

• Visited August 2014

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Great steak”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

It's very hard to find a good steak house, but to have one in your very own town(city) is a little miracle.

The steak I had was cooked perfectly to my liking and I would compare with some of the best steaks I have had, that's quite a feat as I love my Brazilian Steak houses in São Paulo.

The staff was very tentative and the venue was very comfortable.

One very small gripe is that there wasn't any beers on Tap.

I had the bread & butter(croissant) pudding for desert. Absolutely delightful.

• Visited July 2014
Bristol
“Celebratory meal with friends”
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Was visiting Cambridge with friends, to celebrate the end of a training course. Had decided that, on this occasion, Midsummer House was a little too fussy for our taste on this particular weekend, so we opted for somewhere we felt would offer really good quality steak. We were not disappointed. As is the case with restaurants of this type, the decor was modern and the venue brightly lit and attractive. The five of us had booked for 9 o'clock, and, being a Saturday evening, the place was still very busy and the atmosphere had a nice buzz about it. The food was well presented and very tasty, particularly the châteaubriand which I shared with a friend of mine. Two of my friends chose the burgers, with one of them saying that they were possibly the best they'd ever tasted. There was a good choice of wines on offer, although they were perhaps a little on the expensive side. Service was excellent, and we were attended to by a very friendly and competent young waiter from Sicily called Fausto, who engaged in friendly banter and did his best to ensure we had a very pleasant and enjoyable evening. Would readily recommend this place to others and would certainly go back myself.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank BristolJT
“meatfest”
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

2 perfect steak tartare and 2 obscene surf and turfs cooked perfectly rare and we were happy. Pare that with too much good wine and you have a recipe for great afternoon! Yes, it's not cheap, but our steaks were excellent.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Hartrumps
“Food average, overpriced”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The steak I had wasn't cooked to as I requested I found the food was average in comparison to the price I think I just had high expectations and these were not met. The view over the river was nice.

• Visited July 2014