“Finally tried this out”

Price range: US$19 - US$36
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of Cambridge, opposite Kings College Chapel, The Cambridge Chop House is a traditional British bar and restaurant that has been popular with locals and visitors from further afield since it opened in 2007. Split over two levels, the ground floor boasts views of Kings College Chapel while the basement is an intimate, atmospheric cellar split into four rooms. The menu offers British classics made from locally sourced ingredients and the two course set lunch and pre-theatre menu is excellent value for money. Popular dishes include Mutton Barnsley chops; whole sea bass with wholegrain mustard sauce; and daily changing sausages made on site. The hearty portions are best served with local ales straight from the cask or wine from an extensive list.
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

We have passed the Chop House frequently but this time we had the time. We were lucky and got in without a booking. The whole experience was very good. We took the recommended wine - delicious and had sea bass and chicken supreme. Both delicious.
The service was attentive but low key - as we like it.
For those in a burry, there is a two or three course fixed menu which looks excellent value - and with plenty of choice on it. And the specials look good.
I would be happy to eat here again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,726)

Reviewed 15 June 2018 via mobile

My father and I have visited the Chop House on many occasions and we have always experienced fantastic food and fantastic service. My father absolutely loves the butler steak which is always cooked to perfection.

On our most recent visit the staff noticed my steak was not quite up to scratch as usual and went out of their way to replace it and provided me with a snack while I waited for the replacement and were most apologetic - exceptional service and we were most impressed.

Special mention goes to Marcia who has served us a few times and is a ray of sunshine! She is always so friendly and so accommodating.

This restaurant is a must when visiting Cambridge!

1  Thank natashaelizabeth97
Reviewed 14 June 2018

Roasted leg of lamb is very delicious, with a small carrot is also delicious, very unique.
Salmon is delicious, and mashed potatoes and chips are very heavy.

Reviewed 14 June 2018

We opted to eat from the designed 3 course meal and chose to have a haddock pie for starters, the butler steak for mains and the sticky toffee pudding for dessert. ALL of these courses were cooked perfectly and to perfection. The steak was some of the best I have ever had and melted like butter! I advise you go here and fill yourself up because it I great good at great value. Nice décor, friendly staff and brilliant views of the university. I recommend the diane sauce to accompany the steak!

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

Had a fabulous Sunday lunch here with my husband; roast chicken was amazing, very good gravy and the chocolate banoffee pie was incredible! Definitely recommend this place for a very good lunch; excellent value for money and great location

1  Thank SMorley75