“A friend recommendation did not disappoint”
Review of The Oak Bistro

The Oak Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
The Oak Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 693 Restaurants in Cambridge
Price range: US$26 - US$45
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: tel: 01223 323361
Oxford, United Kingdom
“A friend recommendation did not disappoint”
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Went here for a meal on Saturday night last weekend, I was recommended to go here by a friend as they said it was one of the best eateries in Cambridge. Have to say, every thing served to us was superb. We shared three starters as could not decide which one to have. Duck salad, scallops and king prawns. All delicious and from memory there was not one item on the starter menu I would not like to try.

Mains followed, ribeye steak, which was perfectly cooked and served with a brilliant truffle butter. My girlfriend had the fish cake with a poached egg, which was another recommendation, tastes and looks better than I have made it sound.

Two bottles of Sancerre later and all the preceding dishes meant we were truly stuffed to the brim! So of course we couldn't possibly have a dessert. Well ok, we shared a chocolate fondant, as we were told we had to try it by our friends who recommended it.

So food was brilliant, what about service? Well, the only thing I would say is the service was at points a bit slow, but it was a Saturday night in full swing of service so not a disaster, and it did enable us to 'squeeze' an extra bottle of Sancerre into the evening! But every single member of staff was fantastic. From the waiters and waitresses to Phillip who I assume is the owner/manager.

Cannot recommended enough. Not the cheapest meal I have had, but surely one of the best!

Book there now!!!

Visited July 2014

London, United Kingdom
“2 in 1: Atmosphere and Food 5 stars!”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This is not a regular pub. It's a gourmet pub that serves traditional English food with a few twists.
The atmosphere is great, trendy, neat and sophisticated at the same time.
Currently they have a few paintings for sale and those are indeed a nice touch, displayed on the walls of the several different rooms.

The gnocchi starter reminded me an old Portuguese dish that my grandmother used to cook for me when I was a child. The steak is good and the risotto is even better. The desserts are to die for.

The members of staff are nice and discrete which made us feel comfortable.
We will come back.

Cambridge, UK
“Best service in town”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We last ate here on 15th July, in the outside bit, don't know what to call it, oh I see someone else has called it the terrace. So, the terrace. As usual - we've eaten here several times - the food was good and the service excellent. I had linguini and tiger prawns; the old git had king prawn starter and steak. All lovely. Having individual heating elements under the umbrellas is a masterstroke. Great oaks from little acorns grow. This is one great oak.

arundel
“little gem hidden away near the Catholic church”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I have visited this restaurant many times over the last 9 years or so, though I believe it was called Lawyers when I first visited. On Saturday night we sat outside in the terrace, under one of the large waterproof umbrellas, each with 4 individual heating elements (essential if it's normal UK summer weather). We didn't need the heating, but the umbrella kept as dry when a sudden and torrential downpour unleashed its fury. It was wonderful sitting there drinking sparking rosé while the rain cooled down the sultry early evening. We had some incredible starters, garlic prawns, mushroom risotto, scallops on celeriac, slow roasted pork and mackerel pâté. Our mains included fish cake with poached egg and spinach, sea bream and confit of duck leg. DELICIOUS. We ordered 2 of the salted pecan pies with vanilla ice-cream and caramel sauce to share between us for dessert. This was a little too rich for me, but the others seemed to polish it off!! The staff are very friendly and attentive. Highly recommend this restaurant and it's important to make a reservation as it's always full.

1 Thank Jo_lee_spain
Newport, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Top quality food. The menu has many delicious options, I went for the confit duck leg, and my partner the Cod. Both were excellent, cooked perfectly. For desert we had the Fondant and the Sorbet. The Fondant was lovely, gooey in the middle, and the sorbet was excellent and served nicely in glasses. The staff were friendly and the waitress gave my partner a cushion for the back of the chair as she is pregnant, which was a nice touch. Overall we were very happy and would recommend to others. Best to make a reservation as it seemed a very popular venue.