“Upmarket ambiance (and prices) good food, great beer,”

St John's Chop House
Ranked #58 of 719 Restaurants in Cambridge
Price range: US$23 - US$44
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Just off the beaten track, The St. John's Chop House is a sister restaurant to The Cambridge Chop House. The restaurant is situated in a 200 year old former Almshouse. Split over 2 levels with 5 separate dining rooms it offers a wide range of dining options from an intimate meal in our Reading Room to the party sized rooms on the ground floor. Traditional British food is once again the mainstay, sourced as locally as possible, complimented by a local cask ale and an interesting wine list. Reservations are taken and recommended, especially at the weekend.
Reviewed 20 May 2014

As name of restaurant proudly proclaims, very much a meat based menu, though there is also a fish of the day - price on request. Starters, mains and deserts (for the hungry students that had them ....) were all very good, and as mentioned elsewhere, modern twists on traditional fare. Unusually for an expensive restaurant, real ale was available in the form of Dark Star Hophead, which was in excellent condition. Service by the numerous people who attended our table of six was efficient and friendly. Very handy for Churchill College on a sunny Sunday evening.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I found this restaurant a little bit overpriced for the quality of food and wine served. I am afraid to say that it does not keep up with the quality that I used to enjoy at the Boathouse (Ely), another restaurant that belonged to the Cambcusine group. It is a shame that you let it go. Not sure I will go back again.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I had dinner here with a small group on a conference. The food was good, as was the service but I felt they were somewhat disengaged: not exactly slow but not quite attentive either. The food was good: Barnsley chop was done well. Not cheap

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I was slightly disappointed with my meal here. Came with my boyfriend and felt it was slightly overpriced and my steak was not as rare as I would have liked. In no rush back

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Their, very reasonable, lunch/early evening set menu suited us perfectly as we had to be at a concert at 8.00. We had all three courses and they were all delicious, especially the roast lamb. Our waiter was superb, knowledgeable, enthusiastic, funny and efficient. Highly recommended.