“An unexpected and surprisingly good find”

The Cafe at The Gog Magog
Ranked #25 of 38 Coffee & Tea in Cambridge
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Limited menu, but what they do, they do very well!

Everything looked fresh and appetising, from the cakes to the 'special' scotch eggs.

I had the bacon sandwich on very fresh white bread with chilli jam. My wife had butternut squash soup with a large hunk of granary bread. Seating inside is limited, but on a nice summer day there is plenty of outside seating.

Free carafes of tap water was a nice touch.

The clientele seemed to be full of regulars who knew exactly what they wanted and judging by their dress, they were not short of money. The produce prices in the farm shop itself seemed expensive, but if it was genuine local produce then that was understandable - you get what you pay for.

Only down side - toilets were basic portacabins.

We will definitely call in again if we are passing at a lunchtime.

1  Thank David_B-Billericay

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I want to like Gog Magog more than I do, it's a great location, lovely farmshop and a perfect pitstop near Wandlebury. However, service is slow at the weekends - I see the managers admit this is a problem and are trying to improve but a 20 minute wait for a coffee is not good enough and probably adds to the overcrowding. The coffee is also not really up to the barista standard that I would expect given the price. Food here has been good but not spectacular, nice ingredients. Children seem to be tolerated rather than welcomed in the cafe (no high-chairs), with space restrictions the justification. This seems a little strange to me - I've been in plenty of small cafes in my time and they normally find room! Maybe an investment in some that clip onto the sides of tables - or even the soft ones which can convert normal chairs. Some sort of barrier between the outside tables and the carpark would also make this more child-friendly.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

The adjacent farm shops sell good quality food - but you certainly pay for it. Ditto, the cafe provided good quality meals but the choice was limited and the price here was also expensive enough. Service was OK. All-in-all I can't think of any particular criticism nor can i think of anything outstanding. Hence an average rating. If I was in the area again I wouldn't mind coming in for a coffee or perhaps a snack lunch, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get here.

Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Tempting array of cakes and savoury stuff - amazing sausage rolls. Great coffee. Professionally run. Amazing food shop and butcher. On the only hill in Cambridge looking over city. Lovely.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Its a must go visit if you like almond croissants and good coffee! Great staff, great cakes and lovely scenery