A 470 pound sterling 'holding' deposit was necessary at check in, (the full cost of the room over two nights, really?) Visa Debit is not accepted - this is the first hotel I have ever stayed in where the entire amount is withheld??
Upon arrival (4.30pm) we wanted a drink to start the weekend, we were directed to the lounge which at first looks like an honesty bar, but it isn't everything is locked so we called down to reception and waited patiently for someone to serve us... after around 12 bored thirsty minutes we gave up, went downstairs and decided to go to the River Bar the hotel's bar/restaurant we were kindly directed there by front desk staff... only to find it was closed. To be fair we were chased by a member of staff but by then it was too late.
I received the wrong newspaper on Saturday and Sunday morning, and whilst I appreciate the offer of a few quids refund to compensate me for the mess up the moment of reading my chosen papers in bed had passed. Not the best start to the day, but lets get onto the night...
The room was ridiculously hot, there is no control to alter the temperature so we had to keep the window open or suffocate, room 115 is incredibly noisy, that coupled with the grunts and groans of the amorous couple next door / paper thin walls meant I only had 4 hours sleep despite going to bed at 10pm.
I found it very odd you needed to walk through the spa to get to breakfast, you could easily end up in the ladies changing room, there is no clear signage - that said the breakfast selection was very good apart from having to ask for milk for your tea coffee, and butter which I thought came as standard.
Our spa treatments which were part of the hotel deal so booked via the hotel were at the wrong times, we should have been booked in at 11.30 but the spa had us booked two of us in at 11.20 only ten minutes I know but this seemed to really irritate the spa receptionist so I definitely got the feeling its a common occurrence.
Booking was a pain too, perhaps I should have given up then, I called to book told the reservations lady that the prices were cheaper online, she told me to go off and book it myself - not exactly helpful, then I had to call back as there was a problem booking the 2nd night on the spa deal, she then did it for me, emailed confirmations which were all wrong I had to call again and have the right ones re-issued. All that for 195 a night, not really the level of hit and miss service you expect for that kind of money, its a shame it could be so much better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Varsity Hotel & Spa is located on the edge of the picturesque River Cam in the heart of Cambridge and just yards from St John's, Trinity and Magdalene College. Ideally situated for punting, shopping, sight-seeing and nightlife, The Varsity hotel guests are truly immersed in the culture and charm of Cambridge life from the moment they arrive. Recharge in the wonderful Elemis spa before soaking up the beautiful skyline with drinks on the hotel's roof terrace,afternoon tea or dinner in the Six Panoramic Bar & Restaurant. Alternatively, guests can indulge in a hearty meal in the River Bar Steakhouse & Grill. Valet parking available from 7 am to 10 pm for hotel's guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Expedia, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and Ebookers so you can book your The Varsity Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Varsity Hotel And Spa
- The Varsity Hotel Cambridge