“this hotel ticks all the right boxes, clean, friendly staff, stunning rooms, and great food, what more could you ask for”

The Varsity Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 21 March 2011

i stayed at the hotel a few weeks ago with my 2 young daugters, we had a loverly time and thoroughly enjoyed ourselfs, both my room and my daughters room was absolutely stunning, the staff were very friendly and helpful and even had dvds for the kids to watch in there room, beds are very cosy, had a great night sleep,will definatley be visiting again

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,516)

Reviewed 21 March 2011

This is my second visit to the hotel and we had a fabulous time. The spa treatments are really great value, service excellent and the staff extremely pleasant . We stayed in room 114 for two nights which had a fab four poster bed and enjoyed a well earned break by watching dvds of all the movies we'd missed at the cinema.
On the second night we went out to the restaurant, which was very full and buzzing and the food was good.

If you are looking for a good quality reasonably priced hotel look no further!

Reviewed 21 March 2011

Spent one night in the Varsity in March 2011. It had been a while since I spent the night on a business to Cambridge. Before that, I usually tried not to spend the night due to the lack of decent hotels in Cambridge. This hotel has changed that. While still kind of expensive, the rooms are grand, the service is good. And the Wifi works, albeit only after asking the staff to reset the server (something which appears to be done frequently).

The room that I stayed in (top floor) had floor to ceiling windows and ample space.

As breakfast was included in my rate, it is worth to mention one or two words: Upper level english breakfast. Noting out of the ordinary, but then then again, it's breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 March 2011

Was there for a birthday weekend and although It looks a very nice hotel on first impression with decent fittings/beds, nice bathrooms etc, the problem is the ultra thin walls between the bedrooms. They are like office wall partitions. You can hear every conversation that is being said in the room next door and could join in if you wanted to. It wasn't as if the women in the next room were being overly loud either.

I called down at 1:30am and had to change rooms as even with ear plugs it was intolerable. I moved from 518 to one on the 1st floor.

If you're lucky and you get people either side of you who are asleep when you need to sleep then you'll have no problem, but if like me your neighbours want to watch TV and have a chat, then good luck trying to sleep!

The manger even had the audacity in the morning to tell me this is the first complaint she'd heard of regarding the ultra thin walls between the rooms.

What good is a hotel which looks nice on the face of it but doesn't allow the functionality of a good nights rest and being able to sleep.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Londonbrit
Reviewed 20 March 2011

This is a great new hotel in Cambridge overall you wouldn't be disappointed with your stay. The good points are;

1. Well located - effectively in the middle of town (But no on-site parking)
2. New (but a few decorative bits missing/incomplete)
3. Amazing views (But make sure you chose the right rooms - 5th floor +)
4. A gym and Spa on-site (but currently next door)

I had a nice trip and the staff were very attentive and considerate. Be aware of my points above if you don't mind those then you'll have a great time. Also when booking be aware that King size beds = UK King size. If they are available make sure you get one of the larger rooms with a balcony on the top floors. Breakfast for me was fine, but if you are looking for a spectacular spread you won't get that.

Overall this is a great hotel, I've stayed in better but the issues I had were minor so I'd certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 March 2011

I treated my husband to a weekend here for his birthday. Cambridge is a lovely place but I wish we had been advised it is not 'car friendly'. The only place to park was a multi-storey car park which cost us over £50.
The hotel is in a lovely location overlooking the river if you are lucky. We had the basic room at £170 per night and our view was of the building next door - whose staff were very noisy outside in the early morning. Our room was perfectly clean and had nice touches like a large plasma tv and i-Pod dock, but I was disappointed in the bathroom. It was tiny and no bath. There was a lovely shower, toilet and wash basin and barely room to turn around in between.
The restaurant is very good. We had a meal there on the Friday eveing which was excellent. And there was plenty of choice for breakfast - and very attentive staff.
We were lucky to have very nice weather and spent our weekend walking around and shopping. It was nice to watch people on the punts laughing and having a good time. We ate at the French restaurant nearby on the Saturday night, but I wouldn't recommend it.
We did have a good time - didn't have chance to use the jacuzzi which had a lovely view - but I think the brochure is aimed at the visitors who can afford the top price rooms.

Reviewed 17 March 2011

Wonderful rooms with exceptional views from the higher floors over down town Cambridge. A minute`s walk from the centre but excetionally quiet. No parking at the hotel but this is a small price to pay for its location andf quality. Well equiped gym.