“Great hotel - beautiful restaurant and rooms”

The Varsity Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 28 March 2011

We held a party here on a Saturday night as part of a film festival. We also had lots of our guest speakers stay at the hotel over the weekend, and they all had a great time and really enjoyed the luxury, with one film star saying it was one of the best hotels they'd ever stayed in. The hotel itself is beautiful, and the rooms - especially the suites - are fantastically decorated, with the floor to ceiling windows giving stunning views of Cambridge.

It was a shame that the festival wasn't in the summer as the rooftop garden would have been a really glamorous place to launch. However, the bar and studio were great alternatives: the hotel had helped decorate the studio and the bar/restaurant has a view of the river and Magdelene college, which was pretty stunning, all lit up at night.

The party went really well: Marco and his team were efficient, friendly and charming and made the guests feel welcome, got them served quickly and generally helped it all go off with a bang.

I would definitely recommend the Varsity: Cambridge has been crying out for a beautiful boutique like this for a long time, and we were very relieved that we were able to offer our guest speakers such great accommodation with friendly service.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,513)

Reviewed 22 March 2011

I studied in Cambridge for 6 years becoming a doctor and was lucky enough to live and work in some its most beautiful buildings. Unfortunately, being busy, I took most of this for granted. A few weeks ago I had a fantastic stay at the Varsity with friends and enjoyed the incredible views, the great location and the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on!

The hotel is stumbling distance from the river, which really is the heart of Cambridge, the wide open spaces of Jesus Green and the best colleges to visit (St. John's, Trinity, Magdalene). From the hotel, the views of all these colleges and the city itself are second only to the Chapel Tower at St. John's College - and that I'm afraid is just for the students!

The room was vast, clean and very comfortable with floor to ceiling windows on 3 sides and a great big balcony. In the morning I was late for checkout having spent the morning using the telescope (provided in our room) to take in the views. The bathroom was clean, a good size and had plenty of nice mini products, which now occupy pride of place in the bathroom at home. I had forgotten my toothbrush and after a quick call a new one was brought up for me with toothpaste a few minutes later.

In the evening, we returned after dinner for a drink on the balcony with a few friends before heading out to our old college stomping grounds. The view and the drinks were very well received by my friends who were staying elsewhere in town!

The bed was four-poster and immensely comfortable - the perfect thing to return to after a night of revelry. There was an Ipod dock on the bedside table which I used to charge my phone and in the morning listen to the cricket on as I woke up, before heading down for breakfast. A quick trip to the Spa in the morning (I didn't visit the gym as I thought that would spoil my lie in!) was the perfect end to the trip.

I had a great stay here and have recommended it to all of my friends and family. It isn't the cheapest place to stay in Cambridge but it was a real pleasure and worth the expense. The room, service and location could not have been bettered. If you want to see Cambridge, this is the place!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2011

i stayed at the hotel a few weeks ago with my 2 young daugters, we had a loverly time and thoroughly enjoyed ourselfs, both my room and my daughters room was absolutely stunning, the staff were very friendly and helpful and even had dvds for the kids to watch in there room, beds are very cosy, had a great night sleep,will definatley be visiting again

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 March 2011

This is my second visit to the hotel and we had a fabulous time. The spa treatments are really great value, service excellent and the staff extremely pleasant . We stayed in room 114 for two nights which had a fab four poster bed and enjoyed a well earned break by watching dvds of all the movies we'd missed at the cinema.
On the second night we went out to the restaurant, which was very full and buzzing and the food was good.

If you are looking for a good quality reasonably priced hotel look no further!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2011

Spent one night in the Varsity in March 2011. It had been a while since I spent the night on a business to Cambridge. Before that, I usually tried not to spend the night due to the lack of decent hotels in Cambridge. This hotel has changed that. While still kind of expensive, the rooms are grand, the service is good. And the Wifi works, albeit only after asking the staff to reset the server (something which appears to be done frequently).

The room that I stayed in (top floor) had floor to ceiling windows and ample space.

As breakfast was included in my rate, it is worth to mention one or two words: Upper level english breakfast. Noting out of the ordinary, but then then again, it's breakfast.

Reviewed 20 March 2011

Was there for a birthday weekend and although It looks a very nice hotel on first impression with decent fittings/beds, nice bathrooms etc, the problem is the ultra thin walls between the bedrooms. They are like office wall partitions. You can hear every conversation that is being said in the room next door and could join in if you wanted to. It wasn't as if the women in the next room were being overly loud either.

I called down at 1:30am and had to change rooms as even with ear plugs it was intolerable. I moved from 518 to one on the 1st floor.

If you're lucky and you get people either side of you who are asleep when you need to sleep then you'll have no problem, but if like me your neighbours want to watch TV and have a chat, then good luck trying to sleep!

The manger even had the audacity in the morning to tell me this is the first complaint she'd heard of regarding the ultra thin walls between the rooms.

What good is a hotel which looks nice on the face of it but doesn't allow the functionality of a good nights rest and being able to sleep.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Londonbrit
Reviewed 20 March 2011

This is a great new hotel in Cambridge overall you wouldn't be disappointed with your stay. The good points are;

1. Well located - effectively in the middle of town (But no on-site parking)
2. New (but a few decorative bits missing/incomplete)
3. Amazing views (But make sure you chose the right rooms - 5th floor +)
4. A gym and Spa on-site (but currently next door)

I had a nice trip and the staff were very attentive and considerate. Be aware of my points above if you don't mind those then you'll have a great time. Also when booking be aware that King size beds = UK King size. If they are available make sure you get one of the larger rooms with a balcony on the top floors. Breakfast for me was fine, but if you are looking for a spectacular spread you won't get that.

Overall this is a great hotel, I've stayed in better but the issues I had were minor so I'd certainly stay there again.