“Pure Quality”

Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Lincoln, U.K.
“Pure Quality”
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We booked the hotel off t'interweb, based on previous reviews. We weren't disappointed. High quality fixtures & fittings, and attentive staff helped make our anniversary a real treat. The rooms aren't the cheapest, but they represent real value for money. Good quality breakfast included in the price. The views for the rooftop garden were spectacular, especially as the staff opened it up for us on the morning we left, as rain had made it impossible for us to get out there the previous evening. Not only that, but they took the time to explain all if the sights to us as well.

One word of caution. Parking is very expensive in Cambridge.

Would I go again - you bet! Would I recommend it unreservedly - too right!

Room Tip: Book early, it's a VERY popular hotel
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2011

We were meeting old friends in Cambridge as it was a half way point and we saw the Varsity online.
The hotel in reality certainly didn't disappoint and lived up to the very cool images on the website.
The room was just fantastic and we had a view over the beautiful college roof tops.
We didn't want to leave the room and it was harder to leave the hotels roof terrace after pre dinner drinks as the city view from there was jaw dropping.
The brilliant hotel staff recommended where we and our friends should go and we had a great Friday night out.
We all though agreed that we wanted to just get back to the hotel and we all piled into one room.
It was so refreshing to have 24Hr room service with a large food and drink menu instead of the usual nuts and chocolate in a mini bar.
We eventually turned in and the next day had a great breakfast in the hotels restaurant adjacent. It was all over too soon.
We are planning an extended return trip especially as we want to try out the very cool gym and spa.
We can't recommended this very cool boutique hotel enough.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank James C
Singapore
Reviewed 20 August 2011

We have just returned from an incredible stay at The Varsity - it really is an amazing hotel and spa. It is located in a beautiful spot at the heart of the city and on the river. Beautifully decorated with attentive and lovely staff. Rooms are very well-equipped and the spa and restaurant are perfect.

Faultless! I can't recommend it enough.

1 Thank AnnaKSingapore
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Stayed with my girlfriend before I embark on a PhD at Cambridge. Have given up the world of work for four years and the subsequent luxuries I have recently enjoyed, so my other half treated me to a weekend in the city I will be soon slumming it in.

Great service from the entire staff here, the Spanish porter who took my bags up was particularly enthusiastic about the world. Enjoyed a glass of champagne on the stunning roof terrace before having a very good meal in the steakhouse next door.

Room was furnished very well, don`t quite understand the reviewer who thinks furniture was from Ikea, I had solid teak in my room - may be my girlfriend had specially arranged this before I move in to more spartan accommodation. Could have had a slightly bigger shelf in the bathroom, but it was all equipped very well.

Hotel so well situated in the centre of town, so a lot of shopping was done. Used the spa for the jacuzzi and sauna, which was very relaxing. Will be back to the roof as a regular if our summer continues into September - British optimism!

Wou

1 Thank Rob D
houston
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Our family of four stayed in two rooms. A Senior Fellows Superking Room and also a Fellows King Room. Our superking room had a handicap bathroom and water would spray on everything in the bathroom...soggy toilet paper every morning!
The furniture was very low quality, what I would expect from a college dorm furnished at IKEA. Twice during our 4 night stay, room cleaning 'missed' our room. We had to call for clean towels and vacate our room at 5 pm the second evening so they could clean up.
What I disliked the most, was the hotel entry. The small entry/reception room had two desk that were usually staffed. However, when you walked into the hotel from sightseeing, or dinner, the receptionists behind the desk would simply look at you without greeting or smiling. I always felt as if I were interrupting their work when I entered the hotel to go to my room. It was a bit uncomfortable.
The hotel was nothing special and I really don't understand the reviewers who claim it is the nicest hotel they have stayed. The rooftop view of the hotel was really the only thing particularly nice....and you can just go there for a drink. Truly not worth the premium rates compared to the other hotels in town.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank calaway354
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2011

We paid £170 fo ra Graduates room with breakfast and quite frankly it was not worth the money.My heart sank as we entered the cramped reception area-it was not what I had expected.The room was very small and stuffy.Luckily the weather was not too hot because there was no air con on floors 1 and 2! The bathroom was poky with no space to put toiletries and the walls were paper thin.The furniture is not wearing well considering the hotel is less than a year oldYou need to go thro the Spa to get to the restaurant which is not ideal in the rain!.Breakfast was ok but the tables were very close together and bang on 10.30 the food was cleared away!
As stated elsewhere there is no parking on site which is a hassle when you have luggage.
There were some good points:the staff were really nice and helpful and the Roof Terrace was lovely.The location was excellent.
To sum up,you need to pay for one of the more expensive rooms to get the wow factor advertised on the hotel website.I would not stay here again unless I got a really good deal!

Room Tip: Make sure room has aircon
3 Thank EveGlos_UK
Skegness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We have just returned from a short break in Cambridge and can honestly say that we have never stayed in such a beautiful hotel. From the moment we arrived, the staff were very polite, friendly and helpful, nothing was too much trouble.
Our room was out of this world, large, modern and very tastefully furnished. The panoramic views over the rooftops of Cambridge was absolutely fantastic and we were able to sit, relax and enjoy the afternoon sun from our own decked balcony.
We dined in the hotel restaurant, The Riverbar Steakhouse and Grill, and can highly recommend the steaks on offer, and the riverside views. Again the staff were very attentive and friendly.
We also visited the hotels' Spa, The Glasshouse, where we experienced the most relaxing treatments in a calming, pleasant environment with professional, experienced beauticians. The perfect rejuvinating treat after a weekend of sight -seeing!
We have stayed at a number of hotels in Cambridge and this one is by far the best, from the enviable location to the helpfulness of the staff, I can't recommend The Varsity highly enough. We will definately be visiting this little treasure again!!

Room Tip: It's worth paying that little bit extra for the top floor views.
1 Thank debbie p