I went to The Varsity with my partner in November to catch up with some old friends and see the fireworks. We had heard about the Varsity hotel through friends, who had used the attached gym and spa. It is a small walk from Magdelene College and tucked away on the peaceful Thompson’s lane. On being shown up to our room we were astounded by the panoramic views of Cambridge. We’d decided to splash out and stay in a Penthouse Suite, which more than lived up to expectations. The room was huge, clean, spacious, modern, with a big terrace that was great for watching the sunset over Cambridge. The bathroom was also impressive, with a huge power shower with under floor heating and a separate free-standing bath looking out over the rooftops.
Little perks included illy coffee, two LCD televisions and the possibility to have a spa treatment without having to leave your room! Also the breakfast was so good. Having been often disappointed by mediocre buffets, this breakfast was top-quality. Even though there were copious amounts of bacon, sausages, scrambled eggs, mushrooms, cereals, pastries, bread and spreads, I decided to be difficult and ask for soft-boiled eggs with soldiers. This came speedily and to perfection.
We passed the manager in reception who seemed really friendly and told us about a special party at the hotel’s rooftop bar for Guy Fawkes. The views there were even better than from our room and you could see the fireworks on the common- definitely a memorable display! ;-)
We’re hoping to be invited back to Cambridge soon so we have an excuse to stay at the hotel again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Varsity Hotel & Spa is located on the edge of the picturesque River Cam in the heart of Cambridge and just yards from St John's, Trinity and Magdalene College. Ideally situated for punting, shopping, sight-seeing and nightlife, The Varsity hotel guests are truly immersed in the culture and charm of Cambridge life from the moment they arrive. Recharge in the wonderful Elemis spa before soaking up the beautiful skyline with drinks on the hotel's roof terrace,afternoon tea or dinner in the Six Panoramic Bar & Restaurant. Alternatively, guests can indulge in a hearty meal in the River Bar Steakhouse & Grill. Valet parking available from 7 am to 10 pm for hotel's guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, LateRooms, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Varsity Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Varsity Hotel And Spa
- The Varsity Hotel Cambridge