We have just returned from a lovely 3-night stay over New Years Eve at the Varsity Spa Hotel in Cambridge.
We arrived at 6pm in the dark, it was raining hard and the hotel entrance is situated on the corner of a narrow road. Cambridge has a parking problem generally but whilst previous hotels we have stayed in operate a valet parking service, the Varsity does not. We therefore had to block the road whilst we unloaded the car, checked in and then drove off to find the nearest Long Stay Car Park and walk back 10 minutes in the rain. I am sure on a summers evening this is not so inconvenient!
We booked two rooms, the Penthouse Jesus Suite and a Super King. Both rooms were spotlessly clean. Our Suite had beautiful panoramic views with a good-sized bedroom, loads of storage, a separate small living room with unfortunately the only very small bathroom leading off it.
My daughter and her husband’s room (£300 cheaper per night) did not have a sitting room but had a bigger bedroom, bigger bed, very good views and an exceptionally large bathroom with freestanding bath and separate shower. It became a family joke and I wanted to swap!!!! I did look into the suite next door and it appeared to have a much better open plan design with a large terrace – note to self, check all room layout options more thoroughly in future!
As noted on other posts, the rooms did get hot, and there was some noise but the comfortable beds and beautiful views more than made up for this!
The staff were very friendly and helpful, although the turndown service discussed at check in did not materialise and it would have been nice if the mineral water in the bedroom had been replaced each day. The Elemis Bathroom products are replenished each day but are so small I bought my own. It would be useful to have a desk close to some points for re-charging computers etc, although the free WiFi worked perfectly.
Breakfast was very good, room service efficient and the Spa treatments excellent value.
To conclude, the hotel is perfectly situated and the exceptionally friendly staff made it a very pleasurable stay, however the experience would be even better if the parking and attention to detail are improved.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Varsity Hotel & Spa is located on the edge of the picturesque River Cam in the heart of Cambridge and just yards from St John's, Trinity and Magdalene College. Ideally situated for punting, shopping, sight-seeing and nightlife, The Varsity hotel guests are truly immersed in the culture and charm of Cambridge life from the moment they arrive. Recharge in the wonderful Elemis spa before soaking up the beautiful skyline with drinks on the hotel's roof terrace,afternoon tea or dinner in the Six Panoramic Bar & Restaurant. Alternatively, guests can indulge in a hearty meal in the River Bar Steakhouse & Grill. Valet parking available from 7 am to 10 pm for hotel's guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HRS and Cancelon so you can book your The Varsity Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Varsity Hotel And Spa
- The Varsity Hotel Cambridge