We have just spent two very rare nights without the kids at this excellent hotel.
As soon as we arrived we were taken aback by the amazing gold inverted dome sculpture at the front of the hotel, and were very pleased to see the wonderful artwork was continued inside with many modern pieces of work by local artists for sale.
Our Welcome was very warm and we were shown to our room, which was on the 5th floor, and has amazing panoramic views over the city and local medows.The room was stylish , large and very comfortable. It was wonderful to have the balcony and sit and watch the world go by with a cup of fresh illy coffee (standard fare on the tea tray).
We spent a lovely few hours in the spa. An amazingly relaxing luxury head, sholder and back massage was followed by a dip in the jaczzi, where you can watch the punts and public go by through one way glass (can be very amusing) and the steam room.
The central location of The Varsity is fantastic for exploring the city, which with its gothic architecture and winding cobbled lanes is a world away from most places, although do watch out for the bycyles they can come out of nowhere and whizz by you!
Dinner in the hotel restaurant, Riverbar Steakhouse and Grill, was great. you have to have a steak! the mixture of the exposed brickwork and chilled out music made the perfect ambiance for a romantic meal.
Breakfast is a treat to with continental and full english served alongside an a la carte menu. We ate of the a la carte and were not disappointed, the eggs benedict and kippers were very tasty as was the Highland scramble (smoked Salmon and scambled eggs.
I would definately reccommend this hotel to anyone, especially those looking to have a relaxing break away, and you must check out the roof bar, best views in the whole of the city!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Varsity Hotel & Spa is located on the edge of the picturesque River Cam in the heart of Cambridge and just yards from St John's, Trinity and Magdalene College. Ideally situated for punting, shopping, sight-seeing and nightlife, The Varsity hotel guests are truly immersed in the culture and charm of Cambridge life from the moment they arrive. Recharge in the wonderful Elemis spa before soaking up the beautiful skyline with drinks on the hotel's roof terrace,afternoon tea or dinner in the Six Panoramic Bar & Restaurant. Alternatively, guests can indulge in a hearty meal in the River Bar Steakhouse & Grill. Valet parking available from 7 am to 10 pm for hotel's guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Priceline, Agoda, Hotels.com, LateRooms, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Varsity Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Varsity Hotel And Spa
- The Varsity Hotel Cambridge