“Cambridge Film Trust”

Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
“Cambridge Film Trust”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

The Varsity Hotel hosted an open-air screening of short films in the stunning setting of its rooftop bar on Sunday, 15th April 2012. It was a clear but chilly evening and, with its usual attention to detail, the hotel provided blankets and a most beautifully designed butane gas heater which attracted almost as much attention as the films!

After drinks and tasty canapes, my wife and I slipped down to the warmth of the floor below where a suite had been cleared for a showing of "Brief Encounter" which was a delight. Once again, the hotel added that extra touch of providing us with popcorn to munch as the drama unfolded.

All in all, Cambridge Film Trust's collaboration with the hotel and its spectacular location and friendly staff provided what I hope will be the first of many such evenings to come there.

Chris Wingfield

Room Tip: N/A - we didn't stay over
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chris W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
Reviewed 18 April 2012

On a clear starry night we enjoyed wine canapes and a screening on the stunning roof terrace of this wonderful hotel. These cinema nights are going to be a regular welcome addition to the local scene.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Meteornarrowboat
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I stayed here for a friends hen do weekend.
This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in.

It's in a great position for a weekend in cambridge, a short cab ride from the train station, close to for shopping and eating out.

To be honest you really have to eat at the hotels restaurant, it was a lovely meal, great service and a very reasonable price.

I had to leave early and didn't get use the spa but my friends told me I really missed out as it was amazing.

The hotle had a great lounge area were we had complimentary tea and coffee.
The rooms were beautiful, a good size, spotlessly clean with really comfy beds.

Great hotel, can't wait to go again.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Kellyelderkin
london
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Coming from a long working history in the catering industry, and currently the general manager of a very well known restaurant in london i tend to pick and chose my trips and especially, hotels and restaurants very carefully and with a great deal of insider knowledge. Looking for a special weekend outside of london i queered a few of my colleagues about any hidden gems they know of. The answer kept coming back "have you heard of the Varsity in Cambridge". Cambridge being one of the cities in England that i had not yet visited, and with the glowing recommendation from all a fore-mentioned colleagues, i booked into the Varsity for the Thursday night. On arriving at the Varsity we were greeted by 2 smiling reservations staff (i have to say that there was always 2 staff minimum awaiting us when ever we came into the hotel, no waiting as i have experienced in many other hotels). On reaching the room, well they are stunning, great decor, spacious, very clean and modern with a slightly decedent feel to the room. the room had full windows as did the bathroom, unlike berry 46 we did have stunning views from 416 the is nothing nicer than having a bath looking over the rooftops of Cambridge, apart from when we changed and went to the roof garden for a cocktail before diner where as the view was even more spectacular. What i would say is that if you are not a guest at the hotel but simply travelling, a resident of Cambridge or staying at another hotel..........................THIS IS A MUST, even though the weather was 50/50 (not the hotels fault), the view was still amazing and the perfect mojito sped me to a warmed climate, but i chose to keep the view. Moving down to the restaurant, menu was typical steakhouse, that said the food was so much better than average, infact the only critsism i have of any part of the restaurant was the fact that the menu did not show the providence of the local and amazing produce that is served. Local beef, scottish smoked salmon the list goes on, great ingredience cooked to perfection, for the record i had the surf and turf. 8 oz of prime fillet locally sourced with half a lobster cooked with a light garlic butter. I could go on as this is my field but i think you can get the picture. I did talk to the head waiter on leaving as it felt very busy for a Thursday night and was informed that they have a very big local following (see my comments regarding the roof terrace), to be honest im not surprised, im sure there are great restaurants in Cambridge but walking about i see endless chains of restaurants, Los iganose, prezzo ect, i know where i choose to spend my money.
To cut a long story short we stayed the next night too as i found the hotel, the staff and Cambridge both charming, warming and friendly. Would i recommend the hotel........yes but not too much as i would hate to miss out on a room when we visit again in fairer weather, please note i didnt recomend the spa facilities ill keep that my secret as i love the peace and quiet

Room Tip: Ask for the room i stayed in
1 Thank Jason M
Kiwi in England
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Booked a spa night for my partner and I for Good Friday where you get a nights accomodation and 60 minute treatment each.

We arrived just after two, our room wasn't ready so we went for our treatments in the spa next door.

The treatment - well to be honest I was glad that I didn't pay for it! Was really disappointed with the treatment. I had the swedish style massage and the therapist never once asked if the pressure was ok especially when I was telling her that it was actually really hurting me. I have had a number of massages and this was the worst one ever! To make matters even worse I had to wait ten minutes for my partner as my therapist didn't give me a full 60 minute treatment.

Was told at check in that they would take our bags up to our room when it was ready. Came back from the spa and was given the room key however there were no bags so had to ring reception. Then rung room service as it said they would deliver fresh milk and cookies on request hmm cookies are cheap and nasty - was expecting fresh home made cookies to be honest especially since there is a resturant attached to the hotel.

Our room - was really impressed with the room however was let down by the view. Was expecting to see the a bit of Cambridge however in the Kings room you only see the alley way where they keep all the rubbish and into the building in front. Not was I was expecting at all. Felt very ripped off to be honest!

Was never told on checking in about where breakfast was served or what time check out was.

On checking out we were never asked how our stay at the hotel was which I was expecting to be honest due to the expectations from the website and the star rating!

My partner was woken up at 3am and again at 6am due to the rubbish trucks picking up the rubbish on the side alley to the hotel where our room was located; not ideal for a relaxing evening away.

The hotel and the spa day was a real let down.

2 Thank kiwiwithshoes
Windsor
Reviewed 14 April 2012

The hotel was lovely . Modern building with a historic traditional part added on ,central yet quiet, ideal for exploring the city on foot .Perfect location next to the punting which is a must.
Our room was stylish but could have done with a few more hooks in the bathroom and perhaps another towel rail.
The hotel restaurant we ate on our first night was very busy.We had not booked but as a Hotel guest we had priority and had to wait about 20 minutes. Steakhouse with a big S , menu is extensive with the large selection of cuts . Malbec and Chateaubriand for two , was like our marriage, made in heaven !

Room Tip: Ask for a table overlooking the river.
1 Thank andrew c
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We stayed in room 116 for one night. The room was very nice and clean. We didn't have a great vue, overlooking bins and what looks like student halls but it didn't bother us. What do you expect if your in a city centre.
The problems arise at night. The restaurants are constantly chucking bottles into the bins and the bin lorries then collect at about 4.30am!
We could also hear the people in the next room chatting and their antics throught the night. In a hotel charging £250 a night I would expect better sound proofing from interior walls and windows!
We also wanted to eat in the restaurant conected to the hotel.So we spoke to reception and the lady said they were full. My husband then rang the restaurant directly and they booked us a table with no problem.
We booked through Mr and Mrs Smith and have stayed in a lot of there hotels. The forbury in reading being our favorite. The varsity still have a little way to go in our opinion to reach the standard and service we would of expected.

• Stayed April 2012