Booked two nights at this establishment as part of a trip for my wife and I to celebrate our first wedding anniversary.
Unfortunately all I can say is that in my opinion, we didnt enjoy our experience at the Varsity hotel one bit. From start to finish the catalogue of errors built up and made our stay even more miserable.
It was only until we requested a meeting with the general manager did our issues get fully addressed. There were efforts to rectify and improve our moods by means of a bottle of prosecco (which we accepted as i wanted some of our wedding anniversary to be special ), dinner in the restaurant (which we really didnt want to subject ourselves to as we had reservations elsewhere), possible treatments in the spa which we declined, and a reduced rate for the second night (which we accepted but to be honest I would have paid the full rate , I just wanted to go home) but I am sorry to say that these were too little too late.
Yes the prosecco was very nice and I appreicated the time the General Manager took to come and sit with us to listen to our problems which werent simple little grumblings but some serious matters but these matters shouldnt have arisen in a hotel of this supposed calibre.
I paid handsomely for an upgraded room and would have liked a nice view from the room but instead got two floors of a fully occupied office looking into my room, the back of Las Iguanas and a Japanese restaurant as my view.
I have stayed in many hotels around the world and have paid less for alot more. I really dont believe that for a rate of upwards of £200 a night, we recieved the service we should have.
We came home quite upset and have agreed not to return to this hotel. I will save my hard earned money and stay elsewhere of which I am sure there are plenty of places in Cambridge.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Varsity Hotel & Spa is located on the edge of the picturesque River Cam in the heart of Cambridge and just yards from St John's, Trinity and Magdalene College. Ideally situated for punting, shopping, sight-seeing and nightlife, The Varsity hotel guests are truly immersed in the culture and charm of Cambridge life from the moment they arrive. Recharge in the wonderful Elemis spa before soaking up the beautiful skyline with drinks on the hotel's roof terrace,afternoon tea or dinner in the Six Panoramic Bar & Restaurant. Alternatively, guests can indulge in a hearty meal in the River Bar Steakhouse & Grill. Valet parking available from 7 am to 10 pm for hotel's guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Varsity Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Varsity Hotel And Spa
- The Varsity Hotel Cambridge