“An average hotel”

Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
London, United Kingdom
“An average hotel”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I have stayed in several of the better hotels in Cambridge and none of them is great. We thought that on this occasion we will tray Varsity Hotel. First impressions were good. The room we had was large with a good bathroom. Main problems was the lack of noise insulation, both from outside and from within the hotel.

We could hear bottles being thrown in the bin and we could hear conversation in the room next door.

Breakfast was fine. The buffet breakfast bar was fairly limited. The mixed berries were not fully defrosted. The cooked breakfast had soggy bacon.

As I said at the beginning in a city with limited good hotels I will probably stay again.

1 Thank docpoole

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
Bedford
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Upon arrival, to have someone holding the door open when it's tipping down was very welcome. Although we arrived 5 hours earlier than check-in time, the friendly staff kindly took our luggage, tagged it up and put it away securely so that we did not have to worry about it. They also made our room a priority so that it would be ready for us as soon as the last guests checked out.

We were given complimentary coffee in the first floor lobby whilst we waited the final few minutes for the room. The room was excellent, clean and modern, everything that we would need for a comfortable stay was there, even high quality feather pillows. The staff had also taken all of our luggage to our room.

We had booked a complimentary city tour which was excellent, a brief history of Cambridge and some of the colleges and universities.

When we returned from the tour and a bit of shopping we used the spa, included in the cost of the room. A nice warming Jacuzzi, sauna, steam and we had also booked a half hour relaxing back and neck massage and would highly recommend it.

We went out for dinner and came back, had a great night's sleep. Breakfast was comprehensive and included in our chosen package, it was lovely also.

This was a special occasion for us and we would not be able to stay at the Varsity every weekend, although I wish we could. This part of our weekend was excellent, we wouldn't change any of it and would high;y recommend a stay here if you are visiting Cambridge. The staff were exceptionally helpful an polite and pampered to our every request.

1 Thank Iski66
Welwyn
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I read the reviews on Booking .com and booked this hotel as it was rated the best in Cambridge. We caught a Taxi from the station and the driver was quite knowledgable on accommodation in the city. He had picked up many customers and not heard a bad word .We were not disappointed. The attention to detail throughout the hotel is quite extraordinary. The art work in the corridors are rather special and reflect the boutique nature and style. We booked a double the rate included breakfast and spa . My husband had a massage which was exceptional.
Would definitely recommend this hotel.

London
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Just got back from a really pleasant stay at this hotel. Although it rained throughout the stay the warm welcome from the staff and their continued efforts really made this trip special. The room was tastefully decorated with great furniture and a wonderful Victorian style bath and a huge shower - I didn`t know which to use so alternated each morning. Used the gym which is massive for a hotel and my girlfriend had a Hot Stone Massage which she waxed lyrical about for the rest of the trip. Very good value, made use of the Walking Tour with all the Colleges on your doorstep that is complimentary and was lucky to be shown the roof terrace by the very nice French Manager (even though it was pouring with rain!) Will visit again when we get some sunshine.

Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Boutique style hotel with decent rooms well located for the city centre and river. Parking is a bit of a pain about 10 mins walk away but drop off is straightforward. Spa treatements next door were good as was the breakfast - good choice, well cooked, plentiful. Mini bars would have been nice as the bar is actually next door in the spa. some rooms have baths, others hsowers so you may wish to ask.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view to avoid revellers leaving teh restaurant aletr at night.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Booked two nights at this establishment as part of a trip for my wife and I to celebrate our first wedding anniversary.

Unfortunately all I can say is that in my opinion, we didnt enjoy our experience at the Varsity hotel one bit. From start to finish the catalogue of errors built up and made our stay even more miserable.

It was only until we requested a meeting with the general manager did our issues get fully addressed. There were efforts to rectify and improve our moods by means of a bottle of prosecco (which we accepted as i wanted some of our wedding anniversary to be special ), dinner in the restaurant (which we really didnt want to subject ourselves to as we had reservations elsewhere), possible treatments in the spa which we declined, and a reduced rate for the second night (which we accepted but to be honest I would have paid the full rate , I just wanted to go home) but I am sorry to say that these were too little too late.

Yes the prosecco was very nice and I appreicated the time the General Manager took to come and sit with us to listen to our problems which werent simple little grumblings but some serious matters but these matters shouldnt have arisen in a hotel of this supposed calibre.

I paid handsomely for an upgraded room and would have liked a nice view from the room but instead got two floors of a fully occupied office looking into my room, the back of Las Iguanas and a Japanese restaurant as my view.

I have stayed in many hotels around the world and have paid less for alot more. I really dont believe that for a rate of upwards of £200 a night, we recieved the service we should have.

We came home quite upset and have agreed not to return to this hotel. I will save my hard earned money and stay elsewhere of which I am sure there are plenty of places in Cambridge.

16 Thank SSN123
Reviewed 21 April 2012

The staff were exceptional! I have to personally thank Darren Bennett who went above and beyond with his service and is a credit to the Hotel & Spa.

I had a very small complaint with the view we had which was no problem should there had been no vacancies but Darren assured me he could arrange a better viewing and he sure did.

The staff as a whole were very friendly and made me feel at ease.

My only criticism with the hotel was the bar and restaurant staff who seemed more interested in avoiding their customers and forgetting to bring drinks. I had to call over a 3 different waiters / waitresses who all messed up orders.

Besides that I would happily reccommend this hotel to anyone who wishes to stay in Cambridge. It's has a great location and as mentioned the staffing in the hotel is of the highest caliber.

Chris