I surprised my wife to a short break away over the Easter period and having visited Oxford I was very much looking forward to visiting Cambridge. I booked in at The Varsity and felt welcomed from the moment I spoke to the lady on the phone as she was very friendly but also very helpful and really took the time to help plan my visit as I had never been to the area and did not want to waist time once we arrived.
So we arrived early and as expected our room was not ready however as advised on booking our bags were looked after so we could head off to explore Cambridge! Before we hit the town which is literally a 2 minute walk we stopped into the spa to see if their treatments available as the weather was rubbish and thought we could make an excuse and have a treatment or two !
We booked in for a massage later on and were lucky as they had just had a cancellation otherwise it was fully booked so I would advise booking ahead.
After looking around the beautiful town for an hour or so we headed back to get ready for our treatment and to use the gym as the weather really was pants. This was a shame as we had hoped to look around more but luckily the hotel offers lots to do if you really are fed up with the weather. The Spa is really nice you get a robe and slippers and can relax in the jacuzzi, steam and sauna whilst looking out onto the river (and all those stupid enough to still be out in the rain, hahaha).
At 3:00pm the receptionist informed me my treatment would be in 10 minutes and I was welcomed into the treatment area with a refreshing glass of lime and cucumber water.
My massage was for around 1 hour and the therapist was excellent and I am really picky when it comes to treatments as I often feel they vary so much. On this occasion the therapist was really thorough and knew exactly the areas of my back and neck that were tight. The rooms for the massage are in the oldest part of the building and so it has a peaceful and rustic feel to it.
Now on to room, what can I say AMAZING we stayed in the pent house suite and without doubt is the BEST ROOM I have EVER stayed in. I was literally stunned at the views over Cambridge from the room they are a must see. What also impressed me was the coffee machine in the room, decent coffee in your room this I have never seen before !
Dinner was also very very nice I had a steak which was cooked beautifully and the cocktails and wine with our meal were also really good. Service was really friendly and not over fussy which I liked and again we really went away feeling they cared about what they were doing.
The following day we braved the weather and looked at the beautiful sites and collages that Cambridge is famous for. All of them were well worth the visit and I have to say I prefer Cambridge to Oxford but I am not sure if that is based on the fact that I want to go back to the Varsity again?
Overall The Varsity is an excellent Hotel, staff, food, service and room were really impressive I would most certainly recommend and are looking forward to going back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Varsity Hotel & Spa is located on the edge of the picturesque River Cam in the heart of Cambridge and just yards from St John's, Trinity and Magdalene College. Ideally situated for punting, shopping, sight-seeing and nightlife, The Varsity hotel guests are truly immersed in the culture and charm of Cambridge life from the moment they arrive. Recharge in the wonderful Elemis spa before soaking up the beautiful skyline with drinks on the hotel's roof terrace,afternoon tea or dinner in the Six Panoramic Bar & Restaurant. Alternatively, guests can indulge in a hearty meal in the River Bar Steakhouse & Grill. Valet parking available from 7 am to 10 pm for hotel's guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Varsity Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Varsity Hotel And Spa
- The Varsity Hotel Cambridge