“Honeymoon”

The Varsity Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
“Honeymoon”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

It is located in the center of Cambridge. The room was nice and comfortable and our room had a great view to the park. Breakfast however was poor for this kind of a hotel. We also had some treatments to the spa which were ok. However the spa room is small and without many facilities.
The hotel restaurant was excellent. Great food by the river

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
St Augustine Florida
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

Rooms were good and so was the breakfast in bed:) Couple of things I didn't like!!! There was no real foyer when checking in but they did have a lounge upstairs which was nice but not useful when waiting to be picked up.... Also you had to leave the hotel and walk outside to the next building to go to the restaurant and as usual it was raining and cold so it was a good alternative to have breakfast delivered. The carpet in the hallways was a bit grubby. All in all I would stay there again staff were pleasant and in a decent location although I could see the people working in the office building next door and they could see me so there was no running around scantly clad...

• Stayed September 2013
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We staid over for 2 nights during my partners r&r and when we got there we were greeted by friendly staff in the reception. Althought they were friendly we both felt out of place because we are a young couple (22/24). When we arrived we went to our room on the 6th floor (612) the room was beautiful the view was amazing as the window went from ceiling to floor. The only problem with that was at 7am the bins from next door was getting emptied and woke us up and it's sounded like it was right outside our window. Other then that we really enjoyed our stay. The riverside bar is quite pricey but they serve very good food. Hotels location is perfect minutes walk from the center of Cambridge.

• Stayed November 2013
Tarporley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Very impressed with the service on our recent stay, nothing was too much trouble to the staff. The spa was useful on a wet afternoon, and the location of the hotel in the city centre was just what we needed for a short stay.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
South London
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

I am staying here to celebrate my wife's birthday. The service has been exceptional. We arrived to a warm friendly welcome by the concierge, greeted by reception and presented with a lovely clean, comfortable room with great views of Cambridge.

We pre booked the spa for treatments, I had a sports massage the therapist was excellent her knowledge and technique was really good. My wife had a prenatal 2hour treatment which she loved and would highly recommend.

Back to the room and the room service was also good, polite, timely and very smart well spoken staff.

It's great to see a hotel doing all the basics really well and excelling in all areas. Would certainly recommend as revisit, you really feel valued as a guest in this hotel.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Herefordshire, UK
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Spent one night here for a press event, held in the Varsity's conference facilities the following morning. A new building squashed in between older architecture, it makes the best use of the space available and my room, 211, was particularly spacious. It was freezing out but, for once, I was able to meddle with the heat settings and ramp the temperature up to a reasonable degree (I like my warmth). The bed was moderately comfortable but with rather nasty flabby standard hotel pillows, and there was a power socket within reach to charge stuff without having to disconnect any of the room's appliances. But, increasingly, there is an annoying tendency these days to supply extremely dim lighting throughout -- a trend which makes it impossible to read in bed. This hotel's illumination was particularly bad. Opening the curtains in the morning to try and let in some extra light, I was presented with a frosted window which was rather strange and a bit disconcerting. For a modern building, I found the décor in my room rather sad and dated but the bathroom was the epitome of luxury with a free-standing claw-foot bath and a lovely walk-in shower. Even the loo seat lid was fun with the way it gently lowered itself without slamming. The lift was very slow (difficult, I suppose, when there's only one). Breakfast was served next door (in the same room as the bar), which meant dashing out in the pouring rain, down a bit of road, and into another building. One word of warning -- I was a bit disconcerted to find that the valet parking involved driving my car away and depositing it somewhere undisclosed in the centre of Cambridge, and not near the premises. I asked about the insurance aspect to this, but no-one seemed to know the answer -- and no-one less than 30 is covered to drive my vehicle. When the car was returned the following day, outside the hotel was busy with taxis for others in my group, so I was annoyed to discover that it was left in the middle of the road round the corner, unlocked, with the hazard lights flashing. When I queried this, the chap said: "Oh, but there are plenty of security cameras around here." Not impressed … Overall the staff were helpful and friendly and seem to be proficient but, unless they can improve the room lighting and give me a bit more confidence about the car parking, I don't think I'd want to stay there again.

Room Tip: Room 211 was by far the largest on my floor.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank rockstro
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I spent the weekend here with my family and enjoyed the spectacular 6th floor suite (613). Beautiful room with panoramic views and very well appointed. Superb bathroom and great AV. The elevator to the 6th floor was broken and 6 flights is a long climb, so had I been older or invalid that would have been a major problem. But I'm not. The waiters/staff were fantastic and helped us with the luggage and room service with a smile. Not so much the management. The breakfast is served next door in a cafe/restaurant overlooking the river. It is a nice place. In summer I am sure that walking along the river path watching Gondolas is really fun. However the food was very average/stodgy fare and did not really meet the expectations. Overall I would stay again, but for 4 stars or more the management has to try harder. I never expect an Amex surcharge by the way in a hotel that seeks 5 stars and if I have to climb 6 flights of stairs multiple times a weekend at the very least don't charge me for the car park!

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony suite.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family