“Good location”

Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Tirupati, India
“Good location”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The hotel is in a good location and that's all I can say about it. It's expensive for what you get. The room we got was very small in the fiorth floor and had a small window. We asked for a room change and gave us the room next to it which had French balcony. The name sounds fancy, but it's just windows which open like a door. The view is not that great, just roofs of other buildings. The bathroom dint have a separate shower area so the whole bathroom gets wet. They told me they had evening turn down service so I asked them for it, but they just made the bed and left.They did not bother to even replace the towels.The breakfast buffet is a joke unless you order something at an extra charge.I really don't understand how this hotel managed to get on the top of tripadvisosr ratings. Maybe cambridge doesn't have hotels in a good location.I would not go there again.On a positive note the front desk staff were helpful .

Room Tip: Ask for a big room with French balconies .
2 Thank bhavana m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (576)
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is an extraordinarily expensive hotel for what it offers. Yes, the service at reception is pleasant enough (though I find it slightly off putting being watched entering and exiting all the time, I prefer anonymity) and yes the room I had was very nice. Not huge but comfortable bed and nice enough bathroom. But does it warrant £325 a night - the advertised price - for the basic standard room? I have stayed here on a number of occasions because I like the location. I am lucky enough to be able to park at one of the Colleges, otherwise paying for parking on top of the room rate would be a major issue. On all previous stays the breakfast has been lovely. Now you are offered a fairly humdrum continental affair - fruit salad consisting mainly of apple etc. - and are expected to pay for a bit of bacon or an egg. It seems rather penny pinching. I would definitely consider a reduced rate 'room only' if that was an option Having said all that, there is something very charming about the Varsity, and we will be returning. We just have to accept the sting in the pocket.

1 Thank JECW_57
Hoddesdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

A second stay at the Varsity, this time the lift worked and surprisingly we realise that this was the biggest issue with the firsts stay.

A warm welcome, an upgrade (many thanks) and a larger room with views over Jesus Green.

On the. Saturday afternoon, in weak sun shine we had drinks on the roof before taking the complementary walking tour. The roof space is great, great service, 360 degree views over the city, the menu is a little basic, but you do not go up to the space for the food. To have a drink with these views is a gem for this very good boutique hotel.

It is quirky and still seems strange to walk through the spa to get to breakfast but, you get used to it.

The three of us enjoyed the stay and the service, at this very good Hotel we are convinced that this is the best hotel in. Cambridge

Room Tip: Splash out and get one of the larger rooms - the higher the better. We had our own balcony and windo...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

We chose this hotel for my birthday treat due to the location in Central Cambridge . I contacted the hotel about a week before to ask about dinner reservation ,and I did tell them it was for my birthday.
We arrived early to drop our car so we could spend the day in Cambridge. The reception area of the hotel not very practical , so not a great first impression. The staff are seated and we, the guests were standing while doing the paperwork to check in. This could be improved easily with a redecoration of the reception. It doesn't represent the hotel well at all. It made me feel a bit like I was up in front of the teacher.
We had a room upgrade from booking.com and our room 314 was large and the bed very comfortable.Again I felt for the price of this hotel they had made little effort with the decor. Just white walls a mirror ( which is in a terrible position so you can't use it ) and a print . I felt it was a bit plain.
Also no full length mirror or a dressing table with a plug and mirror to dry your hair.
Breakfast is next door, it was ok . As others have said I thought it was cheeky to charge for cooked food in view of the charge for the room.
All the service was pleasant and the staff are well meaning but in my view seem to have had very little proper training.
We had a drink on the roof terrace which is lovely, but you don't need to be a hotel guest it's open to all.
In all I would say 3.5 /5.
We had a nice time but the hotel is let down by small details that could easily be improved with a bit of attention to detail.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Monica004
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

this is a pretty new and stylish hotel down a side street near the river, the beds are fantastically comfortable and large, the bathrooms elegant and the breakfasts excellent, especially the bacon. liked it a lot.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Central Cambridge location and 5 minutes walk to Kings Parade.

Very helpful and friendly staff.

The room was very well equiped TV and entertainment systems, refreshments.

Loved the size of the room and bed - these were large! Bathroom was amazing!

• Stayed May 2014
Bedfordshire
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We loved this hotel - right in the middle of Cambridge so perfect location but hotel on a quiet side street so very peaceful ambience. The valet parking was a real bonus and definitely worth the money. Our room was gorgeous - floor to ceiling windows were like glass walls overlooking the college rooftops. We got a deal on the price and thought we had a bargain. Spacious bathroom and shower - fluffy towels and a proper hair drier! The rooftop bar is another bonus and you are given a blanket if its chilly. We ate dinner at the River Bar - a delicious steak cooked to perfection at a reasonable price. I requested a table by the window which was perfect - whilst we waited the barman offered a taste of his signature Amaretto blueberry cocktail so I had one of those instead of a dessert - good decision!
Breakfast is served in that restaurant and this is my only negative comment: The buffet offered a good continental breakfast but there was a charge for a cooked breakfast which I thought was a shame.
Overall 5 stars - I definitely recommend this hotel and can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Corner room on the 5th floor - worth the upgrade just for the view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple