The Varsity Hotel & Spa
US$261
US$242
Doubletree
  • Room Service
Holiday Inn Express Cambridge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$153
US$239
Hilton
The Lensfield(Cambridge)
US$202
Holiday Inn Cambridge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$111
US$236
US$156
Official Site
  • Breakfast included
Travelodge Cambridge Orchard Park(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$53
Travelodge
2,571 results
All reviewsroof terracevalet parkingfloor to ceiling windowssenior fellowsthe riverilly coffeethe penthouseboutique hotelfifth floormagdalene collegevalet servicelovely hotelhotel guestscooked breakfastlovely roomreception areacentral location
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The whole experience at the Varsity for our wedding anniversary was excellent from arriving at the hotel and being greeted by the doorman, the valet parking, the excellent staff, the special touches in the room, the meal at the restaurant, the massge at the spa and the breakfast in bed on the day we checked out.

Would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I spent two nights here in order to attend Graduation. First impressions of the backstreet entrance, tatty carpet and very small, dark reception area were not encouraging.I really thought my taxi had dropped me at the trades men's entrance!
Check-in staff were welcoming and efficient. The hotel suffers from being restricted in size which gives a claustrophobic feel. The single lift is small and well-used by all and sundry wanting to get to the roof terrace. Be prepared to wait or walk. The room was small but comfortable. Bath robes were provided but no slippers. There is no mini bar or magnifying mirror which is inconvenient. General fabric of the accommodation needs an update. There is an excellent staff/guest ratio and the position of the Hotel is ideal. I got the impression the Hotel thinks it is a lot ' posher' than it actually is.

Room Tip: I stayed for two nights at The Varsity Hotel and my first impressions were not favourable. When my taxi dropped me off I thought I was at the deliveries entrance. The reception area is very small and uninspiring with scruffy flooring at the doorway. First impressions are important ! There is one small lift which is kept very busy so be prepared to wait or walk. However, the room, although quite small, was clean and comfortable. There was no mini bar ; drinks and snacks can be ordered but this is not always convenient. The bathroom lacked a magnifying mirror . There were bathrobes but no slippers. My room, at the back, suffered from the noise of bins and bottles being sorted late at night. Room service was quick and the staff I encountered were very efficient. Good quality coffee was provided in the room. The hotel is very well-positioned by the river and in the centre of the town . My overall impression is that this hotel is not as up-market as it thinks it is but , nevertheless, it is probably the best that is available in Cambridge.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Our previous visits have been excellent but recent two day stay felt underwhelming. Due to graduation the hotel was packed which made the tiny reception and lift area seem less charming and more cramped. On the positive side the roof terrace is wonderful in summer although access is challenging. Dinner in the restaurant was good.
On a negative note breakfast is not a pleasure. Serving staff seem inexperienced requiring constant prompts to remove dishes, bring coffee etc. Despite an expensive bed and breakfast rate my husband was abruptly told that his first two choices from the cooked items on the menu weren't included in our rate. Very strange.
Despite booking six months in advance and requesting a larger corner room we were allocated a cramped standard room with few surfaces, one non opening window and a small double bed. A real lack of sockets.
Special mention to the charming and helpful doorman - could teach colleagues about 5 star service.
Location is ideal but an expensive option not reflected in level of luxury.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are bigger but a premium is charged. No advantage in early booking.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank EdinburghMrsd
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed just one night at this lovely lovely hotel. The staff were great, from the guy at the door who saw to our car, to the staff serving gins on the roof terrace. This is how service at hotels should be. The room was large, the bed very comfortable and it was clean and modern. It all worked, the freebies were nice and the roof terrace (although busy) was wonderful for a pre dinner drink. The breakfast was lovely with a view of early punters on the Cam. Great location added to a great impression all round and made our weekend in Cambridge.

Room Tip: We had a nice quiet room on the side away from the road, and the river, cool, shaded and very quiet
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Drnigel
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

I spent two nights here. Location is good on quiet street one block from Cambridge main shopping street and backing up to the river. Mid size room on fourth floor with windows on two walls overlooking treetops. Weird bathroom with tile floor but no separation from shower so water just spread. Hair dryer with one speed-cool.
Hotel has one tiny elevator which also serves guests to rooftop bar but bar restrooms are on first floor so there's lots of going up and down. Strange breakfast room location out the hotel door, through the spa and up the stairs. Hotel service was not very good.
Had just stayed in London where I thought I had a much better hotel for only a little more money, but I couldn't find much choice in central Cambridge.

Stayed: June 2014