Having read the reviews on Trip Advisor about the price and standard of the Varsity we were not sure what to expect. We booked to visit the Tour De France in Cambridge but also have a nice relaxing break for two.
The thing about the Varsity is that you need to understand what it is. This is a hotel smack bang in the middle of Cambridge, no walking to get anywhere you are already there. People have said it is a bit dark or cramped but remember you can't build a stately home with large grounds and parking as it is where it is.
So, Valet Parking service was used and worked perfectly. The price has been complained about but again Cambridge has very very little parking and the nearest NCP would of been £32 for the duration of our stay. The Varsity was £19.50 with delivery to the hotel door. Saved me dragging luggage anywhere.
We had a Super King Room on the 3rd floor and it was clean, well equipped and well appointed. Whilst our luggage was moved we had drinks in the lobby lounge on the first floor.
The staff are all friendly and there are plenty of them however like most places in Cambridge they use some Student staff and sometimes it was a little "what do I do now" with a few of them. They were all pleasant, well dressed and helpful though.
The roof terrace is a jewel and offers outstanding views of the city. Have a look around the area and you can see why any hotel would be hard to pack in. The lift does get busy however and a couple of times I walked down a few floors rather than wait.
Yes breakfast is around the corner through the SPA but the reason for that is well documented in your room if you bother to read it. The building is one of the oldest in Cambridge and they didnt want to cut access through it. Breakfast was fine and although we did have a hot option the price was no different to hotels we have used in London. £6.50 for Eggs Benedict seemed reasonable and we also asked for a non menu drink that appeared with no fuss.
I enjoyed the stay, we felt special staying there and had a relaxing stay. If you want a cheaper option there are plenty about but I din't feel that we hadn't got our monies worth.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Varsity Hotel & Spa is located on the edge of the picturesque River Cam in the heart of Cambridge and just yards from St John's, Trinity and Magdalene College. Ideally situated for punting, shopping, sight-seeing and nightlife, The Varsity hotel guests are truly immersed in the culture and charm of Cambridge life from the moment they arrive. Recharge in the wonderful Elemis spa before soaking up the beautiful skyline with drinks on the hotel's roof terrace,afternoon tea or dinner in the Six Panoramic Bar & Restaurant. Alternatively, guests can indulge in a hearty meal in the River Bar Steakhouse & Grill. Valet parking available from 7 am to 10 pm for hotel's guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HRS and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Varsity Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Varsity Hotel And Spa
- The Varsity Hotel Cambridge