“Thumbs up for the Varsity”

The Varsity Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Be advised you have to get to the hotel (if you're driving) from Magdalene Bridge end and not Park Street as my satnav took me. Luckily we know Cambridge quite well so were able to get ourselves there with no problem. They will valet park your car which really helps. Lovely hotel with a really excellent room. Very quiet and bed extremely comfortable with lovely bedding. We did pop up for a drink at the rooftop bar. A bit disappointed that there were so few cocktails. In saying that, they did have my favourite which is a negroni and it was really excellent. Beer and cocktails a bit pricey. However, I guess you're paying for the view and the cozy blankets they offer you on a cold evening.
Breakfast was very good as well. They will see me there again that's for sure.

Room Tip: Phone the hotel rather than booking through an agent. That is what the hotel advised me to do. We ha...
1  Thank Labute

Reviewed 1 September 2014

My Husband and I have just returned from a fantastic 2 night stay here . Our room 511 was simply stunning with double aspect floor to ceiling windows , beautiful views over to Magdelene College and the River Cam, a huge bed and so much space! The staff are superb, I had a bit of an accident with the cafeteria and spilt hot coffee and was rather embarrassed, but House keeping we're up in a shot, cleaned it all up replaced any wet items and couldn't have been kinder or more helpful.
In the evening we enjoyed a lovely bottle of Champagne on the amazing roof top bar which has to have the best panoramic views of the city parks and colleges . This was followed by superb meal in the hotels Restaurant, The River Bar Steak House . Our table was right by the large window upstairs over looking the river at twilight, very romantic! We had the Chateaubriand which was melt in your mouth delicious and a real treat.
The flowing day we spent a long lazy morning in the adjoining Glassworks Spa which was wonderfully relaxing. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view.
1  Thank Tor A
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Perfectly placed for a visit to Cambridge. Excellent rooms, impressive rooftop bar and restaurant. Free bottle of wine in the room on arrival.
We also used the valet parking which took the pain of finding somewhere safe to park - recommended.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 August 2014

I booked a short stay for my partners birthday and couldn't have asked for a nicer hotel.
The Varsity is everything you would hope a 4* boutique hotel would be! but for us it went that one step further with the little things.
The usual points are well covered. City century location, large well appointed rooms, stylishly and individually decorated, spotlessly clean throughout and helpful friendly staff.
Where the Varsity excels is there attention to detail. The Valet parking is a must and works out at very good value.
The little things include fresh ground Illy coffee with your coffee and Tea bar, Elemis toiletries in the bathroom, fresh milk and cookies on request and bottled water for your trip home.
We had a room on the fifths floor with lovely views over the historic part of the city and whilst normal booking in time is around 3.30pm I called ahead and was able to check in on our arrival much earlier, ' I know that this cannot be guaranteed'.
My point is that all facilities and staff do there utmost to make your stay as memorable and comfortable as possible.
I will be returning and would recommend the Varsity to all my friends.

Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

Great room, ideal location, friendly staff. Great rooftop terrace which remained open, fully staffed and ready to serve even on a grey blustery day when they were unlikely to get any customers..now that's what I call service. Spa looked very tempting and at sensible prices. Hugely impressed!!!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Had a nice quite few drinks with a friend on the rooftop, was quite and great view, even when we got a little chilly (it can be quite windy on top) we were able to endure the cold with some blankets they kindly provided.

Staff are attentive and friendly - and make you want to visit Cambridge more often! :)

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We celebrated my wife's 30th surprise birthday and she was so surprise and she loved the Varsity roof terrace and our guest to. I have to say the staff was in top checking on us making sure all our champagne glasses were full at all times. And to finish our evening they had a stunning Masters Penthouse Suite for us to finish our party with style. My wife was so surprise and all our guest loved it. So we have found a new spot to enjoy many family events and catch ups in the stunning roof bar.

• Stayed: August 2014