This hotel has an unassuming entrance tucked down a side street in the heart of Cambridge but is definitely an über-chic fabulous, friendly place to stay. The hotel sits beside the River Cam and from its six-floor roof garden you have some of the best and most stunning views of Cambridge.
The Hotel is part of a group of buildings that also comprise ‘The Glassworks’ - the Conran designed gym and spa and beside that - the River Bar Steakhouse and Grill. This does mean that you have to leave the hotel and walk six feet round the corner to gain access to the gym and in the morning that is also the way into the restaurant for a very good full breakfast. In the evening if you want to eat in the restaurant, again you have to walk outside the hotel and around toward the river to the public entrance.
The hotel also lacks, at the moment, any public space. When we stayed the roof garden had not been opened but we were shown up on a guided tour, also a planned first floor bar had not been opened.
There is no parking at the hotel, but there are two car parks nearby and we stayed in a long stay for about £6-7 a day, the porter went each morning to sort the ticket out for us.
We stayed in a Fellows King Room, which was a very pleasant comfortable room with 4th floor views of Cambridge. Again we were shown round some of the other rooms and the Masters Penthouse Suite rooms are very impressive with ceiling to floor glass and those stunning views of Cambridge.
We very much enjoyed our stay here and the staff are very friendly and enthusiastic about their hotel, the General Manager Roberto even sits out sometimes on reception personally greeting guests.
Cambridge is an amazing place to stay with its colleges, university(s) and history and The Varsity is a perfect ‘Cambridge’ hotel to stay in.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Varsity Hotel & Spa is located on the edge of the picturesque River Cam in the heart of Cambridge and just yards from St John's, Trinity and Magdalene College. Ideally situated for punting, shopping, sight-seeing and nightlife, The Varsity hotel guests are truly immersed in the culture and charm of Cambridge life from the moment they arrive. Recharge in the wonderful Elemis spa before soaking up the beautiful skyline with drinks on the hotel's roof terrace,afternoon tea or dinner in the Six Panoramic Bar & Restaurant. Alternatively, guests can indulge in a hearty meal in the River Bar Steakhouse & Grill. Valet parking available from 7 am to 10 pm for hotel's guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Evoline ltd and HRS so you can book your The Varsity Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Varsity Hotel And Spa
- The Varsity Hotel Cambridge