“A real treat - fantastic location”

The Varsity Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
London, United Kingdom
“A real treat - fantastic location”
Reviewed 10 October 2010

I was spoilt for my birthday and this was a real treat. This hotel is located on a quiet side street and has great access to all of the main points of interest. After a warm welcome we were shown to our room and the view was breathtaking. Our room was located on the 5th floor and had panoramic views of the city through floor to ceiling windows. The room was emaculate and the super king size bed was extremely comfortable. It was a surprisingly warm evening so we enjoyed champagne on our balcony. We managed to get last minute tickets to Footlights and the ADC theatre is a short 5 minute walk. The use of the spa facilities added to a great experience and our porter explained that it was because of the age of the buildings that we couldnt access the spa internally.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
Co Down
Reviewed 8 October 2010

The hotel is off the main street, not far from the river, colleges, shops and restaurant. The receptionist upgraded us to a beautiful room on an upper floor, with spectacular views through the huge floor to ceiling windows. The room was superb with a large modern bathroom. Breakfast was taken in the hotel's adjacent restaurant beside the inviting gym and spa, which we hadn't time to use. We, by chance, got talking to the (project) manager who let us see what he planned for the roof terrace and showed us the incredible suite on the top floor. Cambridge, the good weather, the hotel, the friendly helpful staff made this a very enjoyable short break - highly recommended.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Within sneezing distance of the colleges, river and parks, the varsity puts you close to the dreaming spires while managing to be down a quiet side street. But this also means its slightly hard to find, has no parking and you have to walk round the corner to get breakfast.
Opening this summer, its smart rooms are well equipped with ipod docks and flat screen tvs but are still settling in, with bits falling off doors and tables losing varnish to hot cups. Anything lower than the fifth floor will have no view of those spires and may be overlooked by neighbouring offices.
The staff were fantastic, even replacing the ticket on the car which I had to leave in a public parking space but the breakfast in an adjoining restaurant was a dreary affair of flavourless unimaginative staples.
All in all a little pricey for what you get.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
A Manxie in Mancland
Reviewed 7 October 2010

This is a lovely hotel well situated in Cambridge. The rooms are spacious,clean and bed very comfy.Cooked breakfast was fantastic although you do have to walk outside and into the spa next door. However because the hotel is right next to student residences it is so noisy. We were kept awake for several hours by students arguing at each other. The windows seem to offer no sound proofing at all and for this reason I would never stay there again and I think it is overpriced for what you get.

4 Thank ManxMoglet
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2010

My wife and I were treated by my son for a weekend visit to Cambridge for our Anniversary. He could not have chosen a nicer Hotel then The Varsity & Spa. On arrival we were greeted by the most friendliest of Reception Staff and everybody from the Bellboy to the Staff in the Spa and the Hotel Manager seem to be so caring. The Hotel has it's own unique theme with a mix of minimalistic of old and new. The room we had was spacious well equipped and exceptionally clean. The standard of furniture to the room and bathroom fittings were to a very high standard. There is also a great caring for the catering facilities and again such friendly staff. For a fairly new Hotel somebody has made a lot of effort to make sure a visitor is very welcomed. Although I was treated to the stay I was aware of the Tarriffs and they are well in balanced for what one would expect to pay for a Hotel such as the Varsity. Both my wife and I look forward to our next visit to the Varsity.

Reviewed 5 October 2010

Not sure where everyone else was staying as my experience of the Varsity was awful. Noisy rooms, over looking neighbours, no parking, building works all around, would not reccommend!

• Stayed September 2010
4 Thank dTheM
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2010

I travel a lot for work and I have to say this is the best hotel I have stayed in in Cambridge. It has a great homey, yet chic feel to it which made if feel like a real home away from home for me--very hard to find in a hotel.

The location is absolutely perfect with a couple minute walk to the city center and key colleges.

I am not sure I have ever stayed in a hotel that offers views of 800 years of history in a such a modern setting--I felt like I got the best of both worlds.

The staff was lovely and I felt they really cared about me and wanted to be sure I had the perfect stay.

I will definately be back and will recommend to all my friends.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business