“Perfect hotel for couples who want luxury with friendly staff”

The Varsity Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 26 January 2011

We stayed at the Varsity and made full use of its Spa facilities straight away. These were shown to us by Tariq who proved to be one of many very helpful and friendly staff.

The room was very comfortable, including large bed and beautifully appointed bathroom. Furnishings and tv were of very good quality. Lovely Elemis toiletries, soft towels and bathrobes - perfect.

Location was perect for us and right on the river Cam, punting just behind hotel, and next to Jesus Park, 10 mins walk to all main shopping areas.

Our only regret is that we did not try the restaurant for an evening meal, which we heard from other guests was excellent.

We will definately return to this super hotel, and hopefully in the summer its fantastic roof top area will be open.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,516)

Reviewed 24 January 2011

I thought that I knew Cambridge well (having lived there before), but staying in this hotel gave me a whole different perspective (which is great as I'm moving back to the town). The room was beautiful (the shower - amazing!) and the view from it was really special. It must have views over Cambridge that you can't get from any other building.
As soon as you arrive the staff are so friendly and welcoming. There is nothing that isn't too much trouble. The restaurant is great, and the spa is fantastic, both the jacuzzi and the restaurant look out over the river. I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 January 2011

We stayed in one of the double rooms as part of a rest and relaxation weekend for myself and my girlfriends. The Varsity hotel did not fail to impress from the moment we arrived the staff were friendly and attentive.
We had double rooms that were amazing, very spacious, well appointed with beautiful furniture, the bed has to be one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in. The other great thing about my stay was the bathroom we had a walk in shower plus a large bath with a constant stream of hot water.
Whilst I was staying at the Varsity hotel I made a trip to the hotel spa where I had a lovely and very reasonably priced massage, there is also a gym with a hot tub which the rest of my party visited.
That evening we eat in the hotel restaurant and the fillet steak was fabulous.
We will be returning, possibly in the summer so that we can take full advantage of the roof terrace - it was a bit cold to eat alfresco this time.

Reviewed 23 January 2011

Having taken my husband away for the weekend for his birthday, I was very much looking forward to our stay at The Varsity. Although the entrance and reception area are small, the decor is really funky and the staff are excellent. It's very clean, the breakfast was great and facilities at the spa are fantastic too. However it's not a cheap hotel so we were somewhat disappointed by how tiny the room was. The bed was the smallest double I've ever seen and thanks to the paper thin walls and the guests next door leaving the TV on all night, we probably got about 2 hours sleep. We stay in hotels regularly and I've never experienced one with such bad sound insulation! Bearing in mind it was supposed to be a relaxing spa weekend it wasn't ideal that we came home exhausted!

Reviewed 21 January 2011

My wife and I spent two nights at the Varsity booking the day before we arrived. Reception staff were helpful, friendly, very efficient and charming, restaurant service breakfast and dinner were excellent (Marco was terrific!) and breakfast and dinner A OK.
Our room, standard double on 4th floor was impeccable. Management staff and the Director of Operations (Tariq) and other management staff were often present in the Reception and Lobby areas all eager to help and make one feel a little special. (Which hotel do you know where directors happily help with luggage and carparking?!) This is a special boutique hotel and one we shall strive to stay at as often as possible.

Reviewed 17 January 2011

As soon a we arrived at the hotel we were given a very warm welcome. The hotel staff were extreamly friendly and helpful. We were shown to our room which was beautiful. The furniture, decor and artwork had been very well thought out and was incredibly stylish. The bathroom was amazing with a huge shower that we were all very impressed by! There were lovely fluffy towels for us to use and a good selection of complimentary toiletries. The whole hotel was completely spotless!

The gym and spa were right next to the hotel and provided an enjoyable and relaxing experience. Clean robes and towels were provided and there was a friendly atmosphere whilst you were there.

The hotel is in a fantastic location, just a tiny walk away from the main centre of beautiful Cambridge where there are plently of things to do and see.

We had an evening meal in the hotel restaurant. The service was brilliant and we were made to feel very special. I had swordfish as my main and it was delicious! My friends were all very impressed with what they had too!

Overall, the whole weekend away was wonderful and has left me with some fantastic memories. I will definately be making another visit!

Reviewed 12 January 2011

As we arrived we were greated by warm, friendly and informative staff. Staff at all levels could not have been more helpful and polite. We were promtly checked in and shown personally to our room. Well what can I say about the room..........................................it was simple gorgeous extremely well thought out in terms of decor and most importantly comfort. I have to say the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. The bathroom was devine, loved loved loved the shower!
In the day we wandered around the beautiful city of Cambridge and later enjoyed the luxury of the spa again where we were looked after by the staff. The facilities were fresh and exceptionally clean.
In the evening we dined at the restaurant and had a beautiful meal, I had steak which was cooked to perfection. After our meal we asked for advice on which bars to go to and the staff reccomended excellent choices, they read their clients very well.
Before our departure we asked the staff about where to go for a walk and again excellent reccomendations were made.
Overall I would say that Cambridge is a beautiful city that now has the most beautiful hotel experience. I would reccomend this hotel to anyone want to visit Cambridge or anyone just wanting something different from a hotel experience.