You just couldn't get closer to the centre of Cambridge than this cool, boutique hotel in Thompson's Lane. Very convenient for Magdalene, the ADC and the synagogue and indeed everything else...and it has fab views over the little houses and over to Magdalene fellows garden and across central Cambridge.
The hotel is, like Gaul, divided into three parts: there are the 48 bedrooms which are beautifully appointed and with all the bits like fluffy towels and robes, free Wi-fi and proper coffee. The standard ones are perfectly OK but the next price up - where we stayed (516 being the best) have whole walls of glass, balconies and loads of space and as for the suites - they are the stuff of serious fantasies - and serious price tags to go with. Plus there's a pleasant residents' lounge.
Then there's the gym and spa which looked rather smart, comes complimentary to the rooms but which I didn't try.
Thirdly, the grill restaurant where we breakfasted: the decor in a converted warehouse is soothing, the breakfast really good - buffet style but fresh and tasty with good coffee - and the staff delightful.
The rooms are all new-build and the rest a conversion.
The only downside is no parking, and no deal with the local garage which is extortionate. If they get that sorted, it will be practically perfect.
And come the summer, there's going to be a tea and cocktail lounge up on the roof - I think we just might go back and try it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Varsity Hotel & Spa is located on the edge of the picturesque River Cam in the heart of Cambridge and just yards from St John's, Trinity and Magdalene College. Ideally situated for punting, shopping, sight-seeing and nightlife, The Varsity hotel guests are truly immersed in the culture and charm of Cambridge life from the moment they arrive. Recharge in the wonderful Elemis spa before soaking up the beautiful skyline with drinks on the hotel's roof terrace,afternoon tea or dinner in the Six Panoramic Bar & Restaurant. Alternatively, guests can indulge in a hearty meal in the River Bar Steakhouse & Grill. Valet parking available from 7 am to 10 pm for hotel's guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, HRS, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your The Varsity Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Varsity Hotel And Spa
- The Varsity Hotel Cambridge